Tuesday 12 May 1942
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Barry B[rookes] Longyear and Timothy Hugh Brown.
This Gun for Hire, directed by Frank Tuttle, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1942
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 12 May 1942!
Which were the important events of 12 May 1942 ?
- Saint Epiphanius
- Saint Domitilla
- Day of Finnishness in Finland; Commemoration day of J. V. Snellman.
- International Nurses Day
- Saint Modoald
- Buddhism in Sri Lanka, Thailand - Visakha Bucha. (2006) 
- Israel - Yom Ha'atzma'ut (Israeli Independence Day) for 2005: the observed date of this national holiday is determined by the Jewish Calendar.
- Blessed Imelda
- Saint Pancras (died 304), second of the Ice Saints
- Feast day of the following saints in the Roman Catholic Church: Saints Achilleus and Nereus
- Saint Joan of Portugal
- Barry B[rookes] Longyear: United States -- Sci-fi author (City of Baraboo).
- Timothy Hugh Brown: Theatre critic.
- Dumitru Dediu: in Romania; cosmonaut (Soyuz 40 backup).
- Michel Fugain: French musician, singer and composer.
- Ian Dury: English singer-songwriter and actor (The Blockheads and Kilburn and the High Roads) (d. 2000).
- Billy Swan: American songwriter and singer
- Dragoljub Velimirović: Serbian chess player and theoretician (d. 2014)
- Nazi U-boat sinks American cargo ship at mouth of Mississippi River
- Russia occupies Crackow, until August 23, 1943
- David Ben-Gurion leaves Jewish state in Palestine.
- German submarine sinks American cargo ship at mouth of Mississippi River.
- World War II: Second Battle of Kharkov: in eastern Ukraine, Red Army forces under Marshal Semyon Timoshenko launch a major offensive from the Izium bridgehead, only to be encircled and destroyed by the troops of Army Group South two weeks later.
- Holocaust: 1,500 Jews are sent to gas chambers in Auschwitz.
- WWII The Japanese minelayer Okinoshima is sunk by the American submarine USS S-42 (SS-153).
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?