Tuesday 16 August 1932
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Herbert Hoover (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Eydie Gorme in Bronx and Jon Lindbergh.
Love Me Tonight, directed by Rouben Mamoulian, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1932
But much more happened that day: find out below..
You can also have a look at the whole 1932 or at August 16 across the years.
Have a look at the old newspapers from 16 August 1932 and get them!
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the important events of 16 August 1932 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
See other famous people born on 16 August
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Subscribe to our Newsletter
What news were making the headlines those days in August 1932?
- Time: TIME Magazine Cover: Groucho, Harpo, Chico & Zeppo Marx -- Aug. 15, 1932
- Science: Science vol. 76 issue 1963
- Time: TIME Magazine Cover: Norman M. Thomas -- Aug. 8, 1932
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Nobel Laureate Pearl S. Buck’s epic Pulitzer Prize-winning novel and Oprah Book Club selection about a vanished China and one family’s shifting fortunes.Though more than seventy years have passed since this remarkable novel won the Pulitzer Prize, it has retained ...
Many of the earliest books, particularly those dating back to the 1900s and before, are now extremely scarce and increasingly expensive. Hesperides Press are republishing these classic works in affordable, high quality, modern editions, using the original text and artwork.
Second in the trilogy that began with The Good Earth, Buck's classic and starkly real tale of sons rising against their honored fathers tells of the bitter struggle to the death between the old and the new in China.
Louis Golding (1895-1958), a Ukrainian-Jewish writer born in Manchester, wrote Magnolia Street, a 1932 bestseller based on the Hightown area of Manchester, as it was in the 1920s featuring a street divided into 'gentile' and 'Jewish' sides.
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?
Tell the world why 16 August 1932 is such a special date for you!