Wednesday 16 August 1933
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Jan van Ginkel and Stuart A "Smokey" Roosa in Durango.
Dinner at Eight, directed by George Cukor, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1933
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 1933!
Which were the important events of 16 August 1933 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- Jan van Ginkel: Graphic artist / publisher (Perscombinatie).
- Stuart A "Smokey" Roosa in Durango: Colorado, USA; Colonel US Air Force/astronaut (Apollo 14).
- François Dyrek: French actor.
- Julie Newmar: American actress, singer and dancer who first danced in concerts and operas.
- Stuart Roosa: American military Colonel and an astronaut with NASA Intelligence.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 16 August 1933
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?