Tuesday 16 August 1949
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Luiz Gasparetto and Rolf Knie.
I Was a Male War Bride, directed by Howard Hawks, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1949
On TV people were watching The Magic Cottage.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 1949!
Which were the important events of 16 August 1949 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- Luiz Gasparetto: Brazilian member of a famous family of psychics.
- Rolf Knie: Swiss painter, former clown and actor, from the famous circus family Knie, son of Fredy Knie senior (born 29 May 1920) and the Swiss tennis player and ice skating star Pierrette Dubois (born 30 June 1920, 0:30 in Arosa).
- Ralph Mann: American athlete who competed mainly in the 400 meter hurdles.
- Scott Asheton: American drummer (The Stooges and Sonic's Rendezvous Band) (d. 2014).
- Barbara Goodson: American voice actress and singer.
- Bill Spooner: American guitarist and songwriter (The Tubes)
- Margaret Mitchell: American author of a book that took her ten years to write and became one of the best-selling novels of all time, "Gone With The Wind.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?