Wednesday 31 August 1949
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
White Heat, directed by Raoul Walsh, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1949
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1949.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 31 August 1949!
Which were the important events of 31 August 1949 ?
- Trinidad and Tobago - Independence Day (from Great Britain, 1962)
- Kyrgyzstan - Independence Day (from USSR, 1991)
- Malaysia - Hari Merdeka, a National Day (independence within the Commonwealth, 1957)
- Moldova: Day of Our Language (Limba Noastra)
- Calendar of Saints - Saint Aidan of Lindisfarne, San Abbondio, Saint Raymond Nonnatus
- Jim Fassel: American football player, the head coach of the New York Giants.
- Richard Gere in Philadelphia: Pennsylvania, USA; actor (Breathless, Cotton Club, Pretty Woman).
- Hugh Politzer: American physicist and academic Nobel Prize laureate.
- Rick Roberts: Rocker (Firefall).
- Margreth Huber: Swiss pro astrologer and teacher who was married to Michael Alexander Huber; she remarried after a divorce and is now Margaretha Perla Sicher.
- Richard Gere: American actor, known for his gentle good looks and his devotion to Buddhism and the Dalai Lama since the early ‘70s. At age 52, with wavy silver hair and granny glasses perched on the end of his nose, he was included in the People magazines "sexiest man alive" roster. His films include "American Gigolo," "An Officer and a Gentleman" and "Pretty Woman."
- Paul Hoffer: Composer, dies at 53.
- The retreat of the Democratic Army of Greece in Albania after its defeat on Gramos mountain marks the end of the Greek Civil War.
- Howard Unruh, a World War II veteran, kills thirteen neighbors in Camden, New Jersey with a souvenir Luger to become America's first single-episode mass murderer.
- Allied military authorities relinquish control of former Nazi Germany assets back to Germany.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?