Tuesday 17 August 1926
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Calvin Coolidge (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Haakon Barfod and Lewis Branscomb.
Fig Leaves, directed by Howard Hawks, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1926
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 August 1926!
Which were the important events of 17 August 1926 ?
- Rastafarianism - celebration of the birth of Marcus Garvey
- Roman Empire - Portunalia in honor of Portunes
- Haakon Barfod: Norway -- Yachting (1948, 52 Olympics - Gold Medalist).
- Lewis Branscomb: American physicist, and editor of "The Revue of Modern Physics" from 1968-73.
- Margaret Eden: American worker whose car stalled on the railroad tracks as she was driving to work on 6/12/1950.
- Jiang Zemin: Chinese politician, President of the People's Republic, 1998.
- George Melly: British entertainer, journalist, jazz-personality and author.
- Jean Poiret: French actor, director, and screenwriter. He is primarily known as the author of the original play La Cage Aux Folles. Jean Poiret died in Paris of a heart attack on 14 March 1992.
- Valerie Eliot: English businesswoman (d. 2012)
- Greek-Serbian / Croatian / Slavs peace treaty signed
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1926 ?
Top #4 songs in the USA
- Bye Bye, Blackbird - Nick Lucas
- Am I Wasting My Time on You? - Lewis James
- The Blue Room - Melody Sheiks (Sam Lanin & His Orchestra)
- But I Do, You Know I Do - Ruth Etting
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?