Friday 17 September 1926
It was Friday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Calvin Coolidge (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Reginald Marsh and Jean-Marie Lustiger.
The Strong Man, directed by Frank Capra, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1926
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 September 1926!
Which were the important events of 17 September 1926 ?
- RC Saints - Feasts of Saint Lambert (martyr), Hildegard of Bingen
- United States - Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls in a weekend), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day
- Netherlands - Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day.
- Also see September 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The fourth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries in ancient Greek mythology, when the initiates sacrificed a pig.
- Angola - National Heroes' Day
- Reginald Marsh: Actor (Sicilians, It Happened Here).
- Jean-Marie Lustiger: French cardinal who converted from Judaism to Roman Catholicism at the age of 13 and went on to become archbishop (1981–2005) of Paris, the head of the Roman Catholic Church in France.
- Jean Domenge: Lille Journalist.
- Bill Black: American bass player and bandleader (The Blue Moon Boys) (d. 1965).
- Curtis Harrington: American actor director and screenwriter (d. 2007).
- Hovie Lister: American minister and pianist (The Statesmen Quartet and Masters V) (d. 2001)
- Jack McDuff: American singer and organist (d. 2001)
- August Sauer: Austria literature historian, dies at 70.
- Hurricane hits Miami and Palm Beach Florida; about 450 die
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 17 September 1926
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1926 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Cherie, I Love You - Ross Gorman & His Orchestra
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?