Sunday 1 September 1968
It was Sunday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Lyndon B. Johnson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Franck Lagorce and Karim Wade.
In that special week of September people in US were listening to People Got To Be Free by The Rascals.
In UK Hey Jude by The Beatles was in the top 5 hits.
while The Confessions of Nat Turner by William Styron was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Morecambe & Wise Show.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Hamurabi or Hamurabi.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 September 1968!
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 1 September 1968 ?
- Start of the season when oysters are fit to eat (when month names contain an "R")
- Uzbekistan - Independence Day (from USSR, 1991)
- In the Eastern Orthodox Church, the new liturgical year begins on September 1. Also see September 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics).
- Church of England - Saint Giles
- Cameroon - Jour d'Union Nationale Camerounaise
- Libya - Revolution Day (1969)
- Russia - Knowledge Day
- Singapore - Teacher's Day
- Start of the partridge-shooting season ("St.Partridge").
- Slovakia - Constitution Day
- Start of cold season.
- Start of new school year in many countries.
- Franck Lagorce
- Mohamed Atta: Egyptian terrorist hijacker of American Airlines Flight 11 (d. 2001).
- Karim Wade
- Michelle Buckingham: Los Angeles, California -- Canadian 61 kg judoka (1992, 96 Olympics - 20th Place).
- Mohammed Atta: Egyptian terrorist who hijacked an American commercial airplane and crashed it against the North Tower of the World Trade Center, New York City on 9/11/2001.
- Granville English: Composer, dies at 69.
- Carol Mann wins LPGA Willow Park Ladies Golf Invitational
- Earthquake destroys Ferdows Persia, 2,000 killed
- Pirate Radio Marina (Netherlands) begins transmitting
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1968 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Rascals - People Got To Be Free
- Steppenwolf - Born To Be Wild
- Jose Feliciano - Light My Fire
- The Doors - Hello, I Love You
- The Cream - Sunshine Of Your Love
- Vanilla Fudge - You Keep Me Hangin' On
- Jeannie C. Riley - Harper Valley P.T.A.
- Marvin Gaye - You're All I Need To Get By
- Archie Bell & The Drells - I Can't Stop Dancing
- The Dells - Stay In My Corner
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?