Monday 9 September 1968
It was Monday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Lyndon B. Johnson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Jonathan A Drummond Jr and Thomas P Auth.
In that special week of September people in US were listening to People Got To Be Free by The Rascals.
In UK Hey Jude by The Beatles was in the top 5 hits.
while Testimony Of Two Men by Taylor Caldwell was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Hour.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Hamurabi or Hamurabi.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 September 1968!
Which were the important events of 9 September 1968 ?
- North Korea - Republic Day (1948)
- Eastern Orthodoxy - Synaxis of the Theopatores Joachim and Anna
- California - Admission Day (to commemorate the state's admission to the USA)
- Japan - Chrysanthemum Day (Kiku no Sekku)
- Tajikistan - Independence Day (from USSR, 1991)
- Jonathan A Drummond Jr: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania -- 4X400m runner (1996 Olympics - Silver Medalist).
- Thomas P Auth: Orange, New Jersey -- Rower (1996 Olympics).
- Francois Botha: South African boxer.
- Fabrice Descamps: French police officer who had been working in Algeria since 4/23/1994; his wedding was scheduled in a few weeks.
- Jon Drummond: American sprinter and coach.
- 1st US Open, held as an open (Arthur Ashe-wins)
- Arthur Ashe defeats Tom Okker to win US Tennis Open
- Minn Tommy Krammer passes for 6 touchdowns vs. Green Bay (42-7)
- WGIQ TV channel 43 in Louisville, AL (PBS) begins broadcasting
- WVPT TV channel 51 in Staunton, VA (PBS) begins broadcasting
- regorio Vazquez Jr is born
- Mattel's ''Hot Wheels'' toy cars are introduced.
- 150 women (members of New York Radical Women) arrive in Atlantic City, New Jersey to protest against the Miss America Pageant, as exploitative of women. Led by activist and author Robin Morgan, it is one of the first large demonstrations of Second Wave Feminism as Women's Liberation begins to gather much media attention.
- The International Association of Classification Societies (IACS) was found.
- French General René Cogny and 94 others die in an Air France Caravelle jetliner crash near Nice in the Mediterranean.
- Albania officially retreats from the Warsaw Pact upon the Soviet Union-led Warsaw Pact invasion of Czechoslovakia, having already ceased to participate actively in Pact activity since 1962.
- US Army Maj. Gen. Keith L. Ware, WWII Medal of Honor recipient, is killed when his helicopter is shot down in Vietnam. He is posthumously awarded the Distinguished Service Cross.
- Agreement for merger between the General Electric Company and English Electric, the largest industrial merger in the UK up to this date.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 9 September 1968
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1968 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Rascals - People Got To Be Free
- Jeannie C. Riley - Harper Valley P.T.A.
- Jose Feliciano - Light My Fire
- Steppenwolf - Born To Be Wild
- The 1910 Fruitgum Company - 1,2,3 Red Light
- Aretha Franklin - The House That Jack Built
- Marvin Gaye - You're All I Need To Get By
- Deep Purple - Hush
- The Doors - Hello, I Love You
- The Beatles - Hey Jude
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?