Monday 9 March 2009
It was Monday, under the sign of Pisces. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of March people in US were listening to Right Round by Flo Rida.
Drag Me to Hell, directed by Sam Raimi, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while New Moon by Stephenie Meyer was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Hushove.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Cabela's Big Game Hunter 2010 or Buzz!: Brain of the World.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 March 2009!
Which were the important events of 9 March 2009 ?
- Saint Frances of Rome.
- Belize - Baron Bliss Day.
- Saint Gregory of Nyssa
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 09 March
- US President Barack Obama signs an executive order restoring funding for stem cell research.
- American pharmaceutical company Merck & Co announces it will acquire Schering-Plough for US$41.1 billion.
- A government in the United Kingdom is criticised by churches, politicians and Rowan Atkinson for its proposal to outlaw homophobic hatred. (''The Daily Telegraph'')
- Palau officially recognizes Kosovo. (New Kosova Report)
- A Police Service officer is killed in Craigavon, County Armagh, Northern Ireland. (CNN)
- The United States government claims five Chinese ships ampquotharassedampquot the USNS ''Impeccable'' in the South China Sea. (BBC)
- U.S. President Barack Obama lifts George W. Bush's restrictions on embryonic stem cell research. (Reuters)
- Argentina and Chile reject the United Kingdom's claims on Antarctic territory. (Sky News)
- North Korea says an interception of its upcoming ampquotsatelliteampquot launch would ampquotmean a war.ampquot (CNN)
- National Islamic Front founder Hassan al-Turabi is released after seven weeks of incarceration for suggesting that Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir should surrender to the International Criminal Court. (AP)
- Sri Lanka's Armed Forces claim to have killed 180 counterattacking Tamil Tigers. (Reuters)
- Japan's economy posts a record deficit of 172.8 billion yen. (Press Association)
- China deploys the People's Armed Police to Tibet to quell possible protests related to Tibetan Uprising Day. (Xinhua)
- Zimbabwean Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai rules out foul play in a car accident in Harare that killed his wife. (Guardian)
- Madagascar's government announces it will employ ampquotmilitary measuresampquot against Army soldiers mutinying near Antananarivo. (Reuters)
- An Ilyushin Il-76 crashes into Lake Victoria after taking off from Entebbe International Airport in Uganda, likely killing all eleven passengers. (UGpulse)amp!--note: several news report call it a ampquotmilitary aircraftampquot. While technically correct, the term is confusing (the aircraft is registered to a civilian company) and is better avoided. Note also that some reports (e.g. Reuters) give it as an Antonov, but the registration leads to images that are not those of an Antonov. --amp
- At least 13 people are missing or dead after the cargo ship MV ''Ibn al-Battuta'' sinks near Port Safaga, Egypt. (Xinhua) amp!-- The three sources are to highlight the variation in the figures around for the missing/deceased --amp
- Standing Committee Chairman Wu Bangguo tells the National People's Congress that China will not adopt Western democracy. (''New York Times'')
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 9 March 2009
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 2009 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?