Friday 16 August 1940
It was Friday, under the sign of Leo (see planets position on August 16, 1940). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Bruce Beresford and John Craven.
Young People, directed by Allan Dwan, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 16 August 1940
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 1940!
Which were the important events of 16 August 1940 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- Bruce Beresford: Austral director (Driving Miss Daisy, Tender Mercies).
- John Craven: English journalist and television presenter.
- Alix Dobkin: American lesbian folk singer-songwriter, who released a number of albums as well as a songbook and has toured the world.
- 45 German aircrafts shot down over England
- World War II: The Communist Party is banned in German-occupied Norway.