Thursday 17 September 1936
It was Thursday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Jennifer Dickson and Mischa de Vreede.
Dodsworth, directed by William Wyler, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1936
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 September 1936!
Which were the important events of 17 September 1936 ?
- RC Saints - Feasts of Saint Lambert (martyr), Hildegard of Bingen
- United States - Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls in a weekend), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day
- Netherlands - Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day.
- Also see September 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The fourth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries in ancient Greek mythology, when the initiates sacrificed a pig.
- Angola - National Heroes' Day
- Jennifer Dickson: Artist / photographer.
- Mischa de Vreede: Poetess (Our Eternal Hunger).
- Richard Gaskell: Solicitor / President (Law Society).
- Gerald Guralnik: American physicist and academic (d. 2014).
- Michael Hennagin: American composer and educator (d. 1993).
- Rolv Wesenlund: Norwegian actor and singer (d. 2013)
- Ettie Annie Rout: New Zealand activist (Born 1877).
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 17 September 1936
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?