Monday 18 September 1961
It was Monday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Sharon Barrett and Urbano Barberini.
In that special week of September people in US were listening to Take Good Care Of My Baby by Bobby Vee.
In UK Johnny Remember Me by John Leyton was in the top 5 hits.
The Hustler, directed by Robert Rossen, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while The Making Of The President 1960 by Theodore H. White was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching 87th Precinct.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 18 September 1961!
Which were the important events of 18 September 1961 ?
- Also see September 18 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Chile - Independence Day (first junta 1810)
- RC Saints - Feast day of St Joseph of Cupertino and Methodius of Olympus
- In ancient Greece, the fifth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries.
- Sharon Barrett: San Diego, California -- LPGA golfer (1993 Nabisco Dinah Shore-22nd).
- Urbano Barberini: Italian actor fluent in Italian and French.
- Lori and George Schappell: American conjoined twins, both actors, and individually a country singer and a facilitator.
- Bernard Werber: French science fiction writer, mostly recognized for having written the trilogy "Les Fourmis".
- James Gandolfini: American actor.
- Konstantin Kakanias: Greek-American painter and illustrator
- Mark Olson: American singer-songwriter and guitarist (The Jayhawks and Original Harmony Ridge Creekdippers)
- Dag Hammarskjold: Swedish economist and statesman, the Secretary General of the U.N.
- U.N. Secretary-General Dag Hammarskjold dies in a plane crash while attempting to negotiate peace in the war-torn Katanga region of the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Bobby Vee - Take Good Care Of My Baby
- The Highwaymen - Michael
- The Jive Five - My True Story
- Elvis Presley - (Marie's The Name) His Latest Flame
- Roy Orbison - Crying
- Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavor (On The Bedpost Over Night) - Lonnie Donegan and His Skiffle Group
- Johnny Tillotson - Without You
- Joe Dowell - Wooden Heart
- Bobby Lewis - One Track Mind
- The Dreamlovers - When We Get Married
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?