Sunday 17 September 1961
It was Sunday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Pamela Ann Melroy and Jim Cornette.
In that special week of September people in US were listening to Michael by The Highwaymen.
In UK Johnny Remember Me by John Leyton was in the top 5 hits.
The City of the Dead, directed by John Moxey, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while The Winter Of Our Discontent by John Steinbeck was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Bullwinkle Show.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 September 1961!
Which were the important events of 17 September 1961 ?
- RC Saints - Feasts of Saint Lambert (martyr), Hildegard of Bingen
- United States - Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls in a weekend), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day
- Netherlands - Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day.
- Also see September 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The fourth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries in ancient Greek mythology, when the initiates sacrificed a pig.
- Angola - National Heroes' Day
- Pamela Ann Melroy: Palo Alto, California -- Major USAF / Astronaut (sk:STS 92).
- Jim Cornette: American wrestling manager and sportscaster.
- Nives Meroi: Italian mountaineer.
- Ty Tabor: American singer-songwriter and guitarist (King's X Platypus and The Jelly Jam).
- Giorgos Koumoutsakos: Greek politician.
- The world's first retractable-dome stadium, the Civic Arena, opens in Pittsburgh.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Highwaymen - Michael
- Bobby Vee - Take Good Care Of My Baby
- The Jive Five - My True Story
- Timi Yuro - Hurt
- Ral Donner - You Don't Know What You've Got (Until You Lose It)
- Joe Dowell - Wooden Heart
- Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavor (On The Bedpost Over Night) - Lonnie Donegan and His Skiffle Group
- Barry Mann - Who Put The Bomp (In The Bomp, Bomp, Bomp)
- Elvis Presley - Little Sister
- Adam Wade - As If I Didn't Know
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?