What Happened on September 14, 1961US date format: 9/14/1961, UK date format: 14/9/1961
It was Thursday, under the sign of Virgo (see planets position on September 14, 1961). The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Martina Gedeck and Peter Roskam.
In that special week of September people in US were listening to Michael by The Highwaymen.
In UK Johnny Remember Me by John Leyton was in the top 5 hits.
Man-Trap, directed by Edmond O'Brien, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while The Making Of The President 1960 by Theodore H. White was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Ghost Squad.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 14 September 1961
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 September 1961!
Which were the important events of 14 September 1961 ?
- Eastern Orthodox Church - Exaltation of the Cross, which commemorates the discovery of the (allegedly) original Christian cross in 326 by Helena, mother of Constantine, as well as the recovery from the Persians by Heraclius in 628.
- Formerly, in the Roman Catholic and Anglican churches, the Wednesday, Friday and Saturday following 14 September were observed as one of the four sets of Ember days. In the Irish calendar they were known as Quarter tense.
- Roman Catholic Church - Triumph of the Cross (compare May 3, Finding of the Holy Cross).
- In ancient Greece, the first day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, during which the sacred objects were brought from Eleusis to Athens.
- Martina Gedeck: Martina Gedeck is a German actress.
- Peter Roskam: Politician.
- Dave Mustaine: Musician.
- Tom Holt: Novelist.
- Freeman Mbowe: Tanzanian politician and businessman.
- Wendy Thomas: namesake of the eponymous restaurant (Wendy's).
- Antonia De Sancha: London, England -- Lover of British MP David Mellor.
- Dmitri Shostakovitch becomes member of CP of the USSR
- The new military government of Turkey sentences 15 members of the previous government to death.
- The Focolare Movement opens its first North American center in New York.
Planetary positions on this day
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Highwaymen - Michael
- Bobby Vee - Take Good Care Of My Baby
- The Jive Five - My True Story
- Timi Yuro - Hurt
- You Don't Know What You've Got (Until You Lose It) - Ral Donner
- Joe Dowell - Wooden Heart
- Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavor (On The Bedpost Over Night) - Lonnie Donegan and His Skiffle Group
- Barry Mann - Who Put The Bomp (In The Bomp, Bomp, Bomp)
- Elvis Presley - Little Sister
- Adam Wade - As If I Didn't Know
Top #10 R&B songs
- My True Story - The Jive Five With Joe Rene And Orchestra
- Fats Domino - Let The Four Winds Blow
- Baby, You're Right - James Brown And The Famous Flames
- Freddy King - San-Ho-Zay
- Bobby Bland - Don't Cry No More
- Mar-Keys - Last Night
- Bobby Lewis - Tossin' And Turnin'
- Little Willie John - Take My Love (I Want To Give It All To You)
- Jerry Butler - I'm A Telling You
- Ben E. King - Amor
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?