Friday 24 December 1971, Christmas Eve
It was Friday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Tamir Bloom in New York City and Christopher Daniels.
In that special week of December people in US were listening to Brand New Key by Melanie.
In UK Ernie (The Fastest Milkman In The West) by Benny Hill was in the top 5 hits.
Straw Dogs, directed by Sam Peckinpah, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1971
while Wunnerful, Wunnerful! by Lawrence Welk with Bernice McGeehan was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The View from Daniel Pike.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Galaxy Game or The Oregon Trail.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 December 1971!
Which were the important events of 24 December 1971 ?
- December 24 is celebrated as the day before Christmas, thus called Christmas Eve.
- It is the day when food is traditionally set out for Santa Claus and his reindeer. Children around the world are urged to go to bed early so they are not awake when he arrives.
- In Hungary, Finland, Denmark, Sweden, Iceland, Norway, the Czech Republic and Slovakia among others, this is the day that presents are exchanged and opened.
- The Declaration of Christmas Peace takes place in the Old Great Square of Turku, Finland's official Christmas City, according to old traditions dating back to the Middle Ages.
- Tamir Bloom in New York City: New York, USA; fencer-epee (Olympics-1996).
- Christopher Daniels: American professional wrestler.
- Ricky Martin: Puerto-Rican singer, a pro from age 13 who exploded into international popularity in 1999 with his "Livin' la Vida Loca.
- Jesus Silva: Wrestler.
- Kim Kimble: Reality Star.
- Oro : Mexican professional wrestler (Born 1971)
- Giorgos Alkaios: Greek singer
- Sascha Fischer: German rugby player
- Maria Koepcke: German-Peruvian ornithologist and zoologist (d. 1971).
- Peruvian Airlines Electra crashes at headwaters of Amazon, killing all except Juliane Margaret Koepcke (found ten days later).
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1971 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Melanie - Brand New Key
- Sly & The Family Stone - Family Affair
- Don McLean - American Pie (Parts 1 and 2)
- Three Dog Night - An Old Fashioned Love Song
- Michael Jackson - Got To Be There
- The Chi-Lites - Have You Seen Her
- Sonny & Cher - All I Ever Need Is You
- Dennis Coffey and the Detroit Guitar Band - Scorpio
- David Cassidy - Cherish
- Donny Osmond - Hey Girl
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?