Wednesday 9 May 2012
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of May people in US were listening to Somebody That I Used To Know by Gotye.
The Dictator, directed by Larry Charles, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while Fifty Shades of Grey by E L James was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Journey to a Dream.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Criminal Case (video game) or Doom 3 BFG Edition.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 9 May 2012 ?
- Russia and some other parts of the former Soviet Union ? Victory Day as the end of the "Great Patriotic War".
- Our Lady of Flanders
- Saint Tudi
- Saint Pachomius (died 346)
- Saint Gerontius (died 501)
- Roman Empire ? Feast of the Lemures (See Larvae).
- Jersey, Guernsey ? Liberation Day (commemorating the end of the German Occupation of the Channel Islands during World War II).
- Saint Carolina
- European Union ? Europe day, commemorating the "Schuman declaration".
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 09 May
- Mexican Drug War:
- 15 mutilated bodies are found inside two abandoned SUVs in the state of Jalisco, a region that is under dispute between Los Zetas and the Sinaloa Cartel. The Mexican authorities believe the massacre is a response by Los Zetas for the 2012 Nuevo Laredo massacres reportedly carried out by Joaquín Guzmán Loera (a.k.a. ''El Chapo''), Mexico's most-wanted drug lord. (''Houston Chronicle'')
- A bomb explodes in Daraa, Syria, near a convoy carrying several United Nations observers in the country. (BBC)
- Missile strikes kill eight militants near the Al-Qaeda stronghold of Jaar in southern Yemen. (Reuters)
- Mark Rothko's ''Orange, red, yellow'' sells at auction for $86.9 million at Christie's. (BBC)
- Andy Warhol's ''Double Elvis'' sells at an auction for $37 million at Sotheby's in New York City. (CNN)
- Portugal scraps four public holidays as an austerity measure. (BBC)
- ''How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying'' is to close after 15 months due to slumped ticket sales. (BBC)
- The Jockey Club, British horse racing's largest commercial group, is to increase prize money after a rise in turnover and profits. (BBC)
- 17 people are killed in a blaze at a clothing store in Butuan City, Philippines. (''Manila Bulletin'')
- A Russian Sukhoi Superjet 100 passenger jet disappears after taking off from Halim Perdanakusuma Airport in Jakarta, Indonesia, with 44 people on board. (CNN)
- India halts a plan to re-introduce cheetahs to the country by shipments from Africa. (''Straits Times'')
- Two Palestinian prisoners held in Israel enter the 71st day of their hunger strikes. United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon expressed his concern about the condition of the hunger strikers. (UN News Centre)
- Adam Mayes, wanted by authorities on suspicion of four charges of kidnapping and two charges of first-degree murder, is spotted on store cameras in a Guntown, Mississippi store and is added to the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation's Most Wanted List. (MSNBC)
- A Honduras radio journalist is kidnapped days after another journalist is killed. (Yahoo News)
- Jailed Ukrainian opposition leader Yulia Tymoshenko is moved to a hospital after a political compromise, and ends her hunger strike. (Reuters)
- United States President Barack Obama officially states that he supports the right for same-sex partners to marry. (CNN)
- Atlético Madrid defeat Athletic Bilbao in the 2012 UEFA Europa League Final in Bucharest to win the competition for the second time in three years. (BBC)
- Lionel Messi is embroiled in a racism scandal. (GOAL)
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 9 May 2012
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 2012 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?