Wednesday January 28, 1981
US date format: 1/28/1981, UK date format: 28/1/1981
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Aquarius (see birth chart on January 28, 1981). The US president was Ronald Reagan (Republican), the UK Prime Minister was Margaret Thatcher (Conservative), Pope St John Paul II was leading the Catholic Church.
Famous people born on this day include Elijah Wood and Elijah Wood.
In that special week of January people in US were listening to The Tide Is High by Blondie.
In UK Imagine by John Lennon was in the top 5 hits.
Eyewitness, directed by Peter Yates, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1981
while Nice Girls Do by Irene Kassorla was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Too Close for Comfort.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Cranston Manor or Freeway.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the important events of January 28, 1981?
- Catholicism - Feast day of St. Thomas Aquinas
- Olympic Glory oil tanker at Galveston Bay, Texas, spills one million gallons of oil in a ship collision.
- William J Casey becomes the 13th director of US Central Intelligence Agency (until 1987).
- Ronald Reagan lifts remaining domestic petroleum price and allocation controls in the United States helping to end the 1979 energy crisis and begin the 1980s oil glut.
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 28, 1981?
Unlimited, ad-free streaming of over a million songs, 30 day Free Trial
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Blondie - The Tide Is High
- John Lennon - (Just Like) Starting Over
- Kool & The Gang - Celebration
- Eddie Rabbitt - I Love A Rainy Night
- Air Supply - Every Woman In The World
- Rod Stewart - Passion
- Neil Diamond - Love On The Rocks
- Dolly Parton - 9 To 5
- Diana Ross - It's My Turn
- Barry Manilow - I Made It Through The Rain
Top #5 songs in the UK
Top #10 R&B songs
- Lakeside - Fantastic Voyage
- The Jacksons - Heartbreak Hotel
- Aretha Franklin - United Together
- The Gap Band - Burn Rubber (Why You Wanna Hurt Me)
- Yarbrough & Peoples - Don't Stop The Music
- Kool & The Gang - Celebration
- Parliament - Agony Of Defeet
- Barkays - Boogie Body Land
- Switch - Love Over And Over Again
- ConFunkShun - Too Tight
Make this day unforgettable
Which were the most popular TV Series released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Days to next January 28If January 28, 1981 is your birthday you're 39 years, 7 months, 30 days old and you'll celebrate your next birthday in 4 months, 1 day.
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks?
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free
What videogames would you be playing back in the days?
Frequently Asked Questions
What day of the week was on January 28, 1981?
On January 28, 1981 the day of the week was Wednesday.
What zodiac sign is January 28, 1981?
On January 28, 1981 the zodiac sign was Aquarius.
Who was the US President on January 28, 1981?
On January 28, 1981 the US President was Ronald Reagan (Republican).
Who was the UK Prime Minister on January 28, 1981?
On January 28, 1981 the UK Prime Minister was Margaret Thatcher (Conservative).
Who was the Pope on January 28, 1981?
On January 28, 1981 Pope St John Paul II was leading the Catholic Church.
Which famous people are born on January 28, 1981?
On January 28, 1981 several famous people were born including, Elijah Wood, Elijah Wood, Patrick Mtiliga.
What was the number one song in January 28, 1981?
The number one song in the week of January 28, 1981 was The Tide Is High by Blondie in US and Imagine by John Lennon in UK.
What were the top hits on January 28, 1981?
The top hits on January 28, 1981 were The Tide Is High by Blondie, (Just Like) Starting Over by John Lennon, Celebration by Kool & The Gang in US and Imagine by John Lennon, Antmusic by Adam & The Ants, Happy Christmas (War Is Over) by John & Yoko & The Plastic Ono Band With The Harlem Community Choir in UK.