Friday 28 May 1937
It was Friday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Robert Chrisman .
Kid Galahad, directed by Michael Curtiz, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1937
while The Citadel by A. J. Cronin was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Sports Review.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 28 May 1937 ?
- Feast day of the following saints in the Roman Catholic Church: Germain of Paris
- Republic Day in Azerbaijan and Armenia (both 1918).
- Bernard of Menthon
- Augustine of Canterbury
- William of Gellone
- Robert Chrisman: American poet, scholar, as well as a founding editor and publisher of The Black Scholar (TBS).
- Alfred Adler: Austrian neurologist and psychiatrist who was the director of the first child psychology clinic in Vienna in 1920.
- Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco opens to vehicular traffic.
- The Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, California, is officially opened by President Franklin D. Roosevelt in Washington, D.C., who pushes a button signaling the start of vehicle traffic over the span.
- Spanish Civil War: Spanish ship ''Ciudad de Barcelona'' is torpedoed.
- The Chicago Police Department shoot and kill ten unarmed demonstrators in Chicago in what is known as the Memorial Day massacre.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?