Tuesday 4 May 1937
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Hans Ulrich Lehmann and Dick Dale.
Captains Courageous, directed by Victor Fleming, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1937
while The Citadel by A. J. Cronin was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Sports Review.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 4 May 1937 ?
- Star Wars day, "May the 4th be with you" pun on "May the force be with you"
- Republic of China - Literary Day (???, commemorating May Fourth Movement).
- International Firefighters' Day.
- Saint Ladislaus of Gielnow
- People's Republic of China - Youth Day (???, commemorating May Fourth Movement).
- Blessed Catherine of Park
- Saint Judas Cyriacus
- Saint Florian
- Saint Godehard
- Saint Monica of Hippo (d. 387)
- Saint Ethelred
- Saint Silvianus
- Saint Titianus
- Saint Willerik
- Saint John Houghton, Saint Robert Lawrence, Saint Augustine Webster, Saint Richard Reynolds, and Saint John Hale; all put to death in 1535.
- Saint Malou
- The Netherlands - Remembrance of the Dead.
- Hans Ulrich Lehmann: Composer.
- Dick Dale: American guitarist.
- Mr Fuji: Former professional wrestler.
- Ron Carter: American jazz and classical musician, bass player who has played with Eric Dolphy, Miles Davis and McCoy Tyner, among many other notable musicians and has accompanied the likes of Cleo Laine and Lena Horne.
- Piroschka Muharay: Hungarian comedian.
- Serge Estiau: France sport Champion
- Wim Verstappen: Dutch director producer and screenwriter (d. 2004)
- Noel Rosa: Brazilian songwriter (Born 1910).
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?