January 1955 calendar
Learn the most interesting events and historical facts that happened in January 1955.
The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican), the UK Prime Minister was Sir Winston Churchill (Conservative), Pope Pius XII was leading the Catholic Church.
But much more happened on January 1955: find out below
Which were the important events of January 1955?
- 01 Jan 1955 WEAT (now WPEC) TV channel 12 in West Palm Beach, Florida (CBS) begins
- 02 Jan 1955 1st Bob Cummings Show premieres on NBC
- 03 Jan 1955 José Ramón Guizado becomes president of Panama.
- 04 Jan 1955 The Greek National Radical Union is formed by Konstantinos Karamanlis.
- 05 Jan 1955 KMSP TV channel 9 in Minneapolis-St Paul, MN (IND) 1st broadcast
- 07 Jan 1955 Marian Anderson becomes 1st black singer to perform at Met
- 08 Jan 1955 WUNC TV channel 4 in Chapel Hill, NC (PBS) begins broadcasting
- 15 Jan 1955 1st official act of Princess Beatrice, launches tanker Vasum
- 16 Jan 1955 Jackie Pung wins LPGA Sea Island Golf Open.
- 17 Jan 1955 Submarine USS Nautilus begins first nuclear-powered test voyage.
- 18 Jan 1955 Battle of Yijiangshan is fought.
- 19 Jan 1955 Millionaire TV program premieres on CBS
- 20 Jan 1955 1st atomic sub, USS Nautilus, launched at Groton Conn
- 22 Jan 1955 Norwegian government of Einar Gerhardsen forms.
- 23 Jan 1955 KORK (now KVBC) TV channel 3 in Las Vegas, NV (NBC) 1st broadcast
- 25 Jan 1955 Columbia University scientists develop an atomic clock accurate to within one second in 300 years.
- 27 Jan 1955 Plain & Fancy opens at Mark Hellinger Theater NYC for 476 performances
- 28 Jan 1955 United States Congress authorizes President Dwight D. Eisenhower to use force to protect Formosa from the People's Republic of China.
- 29 Jan 1955 John William Cox buys Yankee Stadium, sells grounds to Knights of Columbus, later leaves structure to Rice University (1962).
- 31 Jan 1955 RCA demonstrates first music synthesizer.
French politician who became President of the country on May 6, 2007 as successor to Jacques Chirac.
American actor, cool and determined, driven to get what he aims for.
English comedian and actor.
Dutch-American musician whose family moved to southern California when he was ten.
- See more
French surrealist painter, son of a retired navy captain.
Composer, dies at 81.
Dutch Minister (1908-13), dies at 94.
Economist, dies at 68.
- See more