1955 was a full decade removed from World War Two, and one of the great Allied commanders of the war, General Dwight D. Eisenhower had become President Eisenhower, the 34th President of the United States. In 1955, President Eisenhower made a fateful decision that would affect American foreign policy and millions of lives for many years: he sent the first American soldiers as advisors to Vietnam.
This was also a year of notable developments in the Cold War between the West and the East, led by the United States and the Soviet Union, respectively. In the East, the Warsaw Pact was signed in May. This was a mutual defense treaty among the Soviet countries and Soviet satellite nations as an equivalent to the Western powers’ formation of NATO. In the West, the United States made significant commitments to defense technology. In January, the USS Nautilus, the first nuclear-powered submarine, went out to sea for the first time. During the same month, the Pentagon formally announced a plan to develop intercontinental ballistic missiles with nuclear warheads attached to them.
1955 was also a landmark year for the Civil Rights Movement in America. In December of this year, Rosa Parks famously refused to obey a bus drivers’ order to get out of her seat to make room for a white passenger. This sparked several significant protests in her city of Montgomery, Alabama.
There were also some notable developments for popular culture this year, as Jim Henson created an early version of Kermit the Frog. In July of 1955, Walt Disneyopened his world-famous theme park – Disneyland – in Anaheim, California.
Finally, the world lost one of its brightest minds this year – Albert Einstein passed away at the age of 76. However, the world gained two more brilliant people, as Bill Gates and Steve Jobs were born this year.
All Academy Awards Prize winners of the 28th edition of the Oscar ceremony
Best supporting actor
Best supporting actress
Jo Van Fleet
Time Person of the Year
Who was the person of the year of 1955?
Which were the most popular books released in 1955 ?
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free
All Nobel Prize winners of 1955
- Halldór Laxness
- Willis Lamb
- Polykarp Kusch
- Vincent du Vigneaud
Physiology or Medicine
- Hugo Theorell
Which were the top hits of 1955?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Bill Haley and His Comets - (We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock
- Les Baxter & His Orchestra - Unchained Melody
- Frank Sinatra - Learnin' The Blues
- Roger Williams - Autumn Leaves
- Mitch Miller Orchestra & Chorus - The Yellow Rose Of Texas
- Bill Hayes - The Ballad Of Davy Crockett
- Pat Boone - Ain't That A Shame
- Four Aces - Melody Of Love
- Fess Parker - Ballad Of Davy Crockett
- Fontane Sisters - Seventeen
Top #1 songs in the UK
- Tennessee Ernie Ford - Give Me Your Word
- Frankie Laine With The Mellomen - Cool Water
- Slim Whitman - Rose Marie
- Eddie Calvert - Cherry Pink And Apple Blossom White
- Perez 'Prez' Prado & His Orchestra - Cherry Pink And Apple Blossom White
- Rosemary Clooney & The Mellomen - Mambo Italiano
- Ruby Murray - Softly Softly
- David Whitfield - Ev'rywhere
- Mitch Miller - The Yellow Rose Of Texas
- Jimmy Young - The Man From Laramie
Which were the most popular Movies released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Demographic statistics of the year 1955
- Total population: 2.8 billion (2,773,019,936 to be precise!)
- Urban population: 887.4 million, that is 32.0% of the total population of 1955 lives in cities
- Yearly change: +48.2 million, corresponding to a percentage increase of +1.77%
- Average density: 19.0 persons per km2
Which were the important events of 1955?
- 01 Jan 1955 WEAT (now WPEC) TV channel 12 in West Palm Beach, Florida (CBS) begins
- 02 Jan 1955 1st Bob Cummings Show premieres on NBC (later on CBS)
- 03 Jan 1955 José Ramón Guizado becomes president of Panama.
- 04 Jan 1955 The Greek National Radical Union is formed by Konstantinos Karamanlis.
- 05 Jan 1955 KMSP TV channel 9 in Minneapolis-St Paul, MN (IND) 1st broadcast
- 07 Jan 1955 Marian Anderson becomes 1st black singer to perform at Met (NYC)
- 08 Jan 1955 WUNC TV channel 4 in Chapel Hill, NC (PBS) begins broadcasting
- 15 Jan 1955 1st official act of Princess Beatrice, launches tanker Vasum
- 16 Jan 1955 Jackie Pung wins LPGA Sea Island Golf Open.
- 17 Jan 1955 Submarine USS Nautilus begins first nuclear-powered test voyage.
- 18 Jan 1955 Battle of Yijiangshan is fought.
- 19 Jan 1955 Millionaire TV program premieres on CBS
- 20 Jan 1955 1st atomic sub, USS Nautilus, launched at Groton Conn
- 22 Jan 1955 Norwegian government of Einar Gerhardsen forms.
- 23 Jan 1955 KORK (now KVBC) TV channel 3 in Las Vegas, NV (NBC) 1st broadcast
- 25 Jan 1955 Columbia University scientists develop an atomic clock accurate to within one second in 300 years.
- 27 Jan 1955 Plain & Fancy opens at Mark Hellinger Theater NYC for 476 performances
- 28 Jan 1955 United States Congress authorizes President Dwight D. Eisenhower to use force to protect Formosa from the People's Republic of China.
- 29 Jan 1955 John William Cox buys Yankee Stadium, sells grounds to Knights of Columbus, later leaves structure to Rice University (1962).
- 31 Jan 1955 RCA demonstrates first music synthesizer.
- 01 Feb 1955 Ray Kroc opens a McDonald's fast food restaurant (the company's 9th since it was founded in 1940), but Kroc later takes over the company and oversees its worldwide expansion.
- 02 Feb 1955 First Presidential news conference on network TV - Dwight Eisenhower on ABC.
- 04 Feb 1955 Pact of Mutual Cooperation quotBaghdad Pactquot signed.
- 08 Feb 1955 Malenkov resigns as USSR premier, Bulganin replaces him.
- 09 Feb 1955 US federations of trade unions merge into AFL / CIO
- 10 Feb 1955 Seventh Fleet of the United States Navy helps the Republic of China evacuate Chinese Nationalist army and residents from the Tachen Islands to Taiwan.
- 12 Feb 1955 WTVY TV channel 4 in Dothan, AL (CBS) begins broadcasting
- 13 Feb 1955 KRCG TV channel 13 in Jefferson City, MO (CBS) begins broadcasting
- 14 Feb 1955 WFLA (now WXFL) TV channel 8 in Tampa-St Petersburg, Florida (NBC) begins
- 16 Feb 1955 Nearly 100 die in a fire at a home for the elderly in Yokohama, Japan.
- 17 Feb 1955 KTVF TV channel 11 in Fairbanks, AK (CBS / ABC) begins broadcasting
- 18 Feb 1955 Baghdad Pact signed, making Turkey and Iraq a defense alliance.
- 19 Feb 1955 South East Asia Collective Defense Treaty goes into effect.
- 20 Feb 1955 Fay Crocker wins LPGA Serbin Golf Open.
- 22 Feb 1955 British aircraft carrier Ark Royal sets sail
- 23 Feb 1955 First meeting of the Southeast Asia Treaty Organization (SEATO).
- 24 Feb 1955 Silk Stockings opens at Imperial Theater NYC for 461 performances
- 26 Feb 1955 Peter Pan closes at Winter Garden Theater NYC after 149 performances
- 27 Feb 1955 Betty Jameson wins LPGA Sarasota Golf Open.
- 01 Mar 1955 KFAR (now KATN) TV channel 2 in Fairbanks, AK (ABC / NBC) 1st broadcast
- 02 Mar 1955 King Norodom Sihanouk of Cambodia abdicates the throne in favor of his father, King Norodom Suramarit.
- 03 Mar 1955 Elvis Presley appears on television for the first time.
- 05 Mar 1955 WBBJ TV channel 7 in Jackson, TN (ABC) begins broadcasting
- 06 Mar 1955 Jackie Pung wins LPGA Jacksonville Golf Open.
- 07 Mar 1955 7th Emmy Awards: Make Room for Daddy, Danny Thomas and Loretta Young
- 13 Mar 1955 Bir BSD Mahendra succeeds Tribhubana as king of Nepal.
- 14 Mar 1955 Prince Mahemdra becomes king of Nepal.
- 15 Mar 1955 Dutch 2nd Chamber requires TV licenses
- 16 Mar 1955 US President Dwight Eisenhower upholds the use of atomic weapons in case of war.
- 17 Mar 1955 The Richard Riot occurs in Montreal.
- 18 Mar 1955 I Hatojama recognized as premier of Japan.
- 19 Mar 1955 KXTV of Stockton, California, signs on the air in the United States, being the 100th commercial television station in this country.
- 20 Mar 1955 KXTV TV channel 10 in Sacramento, CA (CBS) begins broadcasting
- 21 Mar 1955 Archbishop Makarios of Cyprus desires Cyprus joining Greece
- 24 Mar 1955 Tennessee Williams, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof opens for 694 performances
- 26 Mar 1955 "Ballad of Davy Crockett" becomes the #1 record in US.
- 27 Mar 1955 9th Tony Awards: Desperate Hours and Pajama Game win.
- 30 Mar 1955 27th Academy Awards: On the Waterfront, Marlon Brando and Grace Kelly win.
- 31 Mar 1955 US Assay Office in Seattle, Washington, USA closes.
- 01 Apr 1955 WTVT TV channel 13 in Tampa-St Petersburg, Florida (CBS) 1st broadcast
- 02 Apr 1955 US female Figure Skating championship won by Tenley Albright.
- 03 Apr 1955 Baltimore Orioles pull their first triple play (3-6-2 versus Kansas City Athletics).
- 04 Apr 1955 British government signs military treaty with Iraq.
- 05 Apr 1955 Winston Churchill resigns as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom amid indications of failing health.
- 06 Apr 1955 3 for Tonight opens at Plymouth Theater NYC for 85 performances
- 09 Apr 1955 US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
- 10 Apr 1955 Ruth Ellis shoots jilting lover David Blakely
- 11 Apr 1955 The Air India Kashmir Princess is bombed and crashes in a failed assassination attempt on Zhou Enlai by the Kuomintang.
- 12 Apr 1955 1st game in Kansas City, Athletics beat Detroit Tigers, 6-2
- 13 Apr 1955 20.33 inches (51.64 cm) of rainfall in Axis, Alabama (state record).
- 14 Apr 1955 Elston Howard becomes the 1st black to wear the Yankee uniform
- 15 Apr 1955 US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
- 16 Apr 1955 Burma-Japanese peace treaty, signed in Rangoon on November 5, 1954, comes into effect, formally ending a state of war between the two countries that had not existed for a long time.
- 17 Apr 1955 Betty Jameson wins LPGA Babe Didrikson-Zaharias Golf Open.
- 18 Apr 1955 Ankles Aweigh opens at Mark Hellinger Theater NYC for 176 performances
- 19 Apr 1955 59th Boston Marathon won by Hideo Hamamura of Japan in 2:18:22.
- 20 Apr 1955 Saint of Bleecker St closes at Broadway Theater NYC after 92 performances
- 21 Apr 1955 Minas Gerais Argentina tunnel caves in; 30 die.
- 22 Apr 1955 US Congress orders all US coins to bear motto "In God We Trust".
- 23 Apr 1955 Kismet closes at Ziegfeld Theater NYC after 583 performances
- 24 Apr 1955 Conference of Bandung against colonialism / for self determination, ends
- 28 Apr 1955 WBIQ TV channel 10 in Birmingham, AL (PBS) begins broadcasting
- 30 Apr 1955 West German unions protest for 40-hour work week and more wages.
- 01 May 1955 Babe Didrikson-Zaharias wins LPGA Peach Blossom Golf Tournament.
- 02 May 1955 Pulitzer prize awarded Tennessee Williams for (Cat on Hot Tin Roof)
- 05 May 1955 Damn Yankees opens at 46th Steet Theater in New York City for 1022 performances.
- 06 May 1955 West Germany joins NATO
- 07 May 1955 West Europe Union established.
- 09 May 1955 German Federal Republic joins NATO.
- 11 May 1955 Israel attacks Gaza.
- 12 May 1955 Chicago Cub Sam Jones is 1st black to pitch no-hitter (Pirates, 4-0)
- 14 May 1955 US performs nuclear test in Pacific Ocean.
- 15 May 1955 Austrian state treaty signed making Austria independent again
- 16 May 1955 King Baudouin of Belgium visits Congo
- 17 May 1955 Dutch Government of Drees resigns.
- 18 May 1955 Queen Juliana opens E55 fair in Amsterdam
- 19 May 1955 Atkinson and Depeiaza make 347 stand for 7th wkt West Indies versus Australia.
- 20 May 1955 Argentine parliament accepts separation of church and state.
- 21 May 1955 House of Flowers closes at Alvin Theater NYC after 165 performances
- 22 May 1955 Oldest man to drive in the Grand Prix (aged 55) finishes 6th
- 23 May 1955 Presbyterian Church begins accepting women ministers
- 25 May 1955 First ascent of Kangchenjunga (8,586 m.), the third highest mountain in the world, by a British expedition led by Joe Brown and George Band.
- 26 May 1955 7th Heaven opens at ANTA Theater NYC for 44 performances
- 27 May 1955 Red Buttons Show, last airs on NBC-TV
- 28 May 1955 Bob Sweikert wins Indianapolis 500 with an average speed of 128.213 mph.
- 29 May 1955 Jordan government of Tewfik Abdul Huda resigns.
- 30 May 1955 KMVT TV channel 11 in Twin Falls, ID (CBS / NBC / ABC) begins broadcasting
- 31 May 1955 Great Britain proclaims emergency crisis due to railroad strike.
- 01 Jun 1955 Habib Bourguiba ends exile from Tunisia
- 02 Jun 1955 The USSR and Yugoslavia sign the Belgrade declaration and thus normalize relations between both countries, discontinued since 1948.
- 03 Jun 1955 KLFY TV channel 10 in Lafayette, LA (CBS) begins broadcasting
- 04 Jun 1955 Mickey Rooney Show, TV comedy last airs on NBC
- 05 Jun 1955 Louise Suggs wins LPGA Eastern Golf Open
- 06 Jun 1955 Bill Haley and The Comets' song "Rock Around the Clock" hits #1.
- 07 Jun 1955 $64,000 Question premieres on CBS TV
- 08 Jun 1955 Dodgers option Tommy Lasorda to make room on roster for Sandy Koufax
- 10 Jun 1955 KWEX TV channel 41 in San Antonio, TX (IND) begins broadcasting
- 11 Jun 1955 1st magnesium jet airplane flies
- 12 Jun 1955 Mr Peepers (TV Comedy) starring Wally Cox airs for last time on NBC
- 13 Jun 1955 Mercedes racing car kills 77 at Le Mans, France.
- 14 Jun 1955 Chile becomes a signatory to the Buenos Aires copyright treaty.
- 15 Jun 1955 Australia score 8-758 vs. West Indies at Kingston, their best ever
- 16 Jun 1955 Louise Suggs wins LPGA Triangle Round Robin Golf Tournament
- 18 Jun 1955 3 for Tonight closes at Plymouth Theater NYC after 85 performances
- 19 Jun 1955 55th US Golf Open: Jack Fleck shoots a 287 at Olympic Country Club - San Francisco
- 20 Jun 1955 Almost Crazy opens at Longacre Theater NYC for 16 performances
- 22 Jun 1955 Antonio Segni forms government in Italy
- 24 Jun 1955 Harmon Killebrew hits his first home run (off Billy Hoeff).
- 25 Jun 1955 Can Can closes at Shubert Theater NYC after 892 performances
- 26 Jun 1955 Actor Geoffrey Holder marries Carmen de Lavallade
- 27 Jun 1955 Julius LaRosa Show, debuts on CBS-TV
- 29 Jun 1955 Argentine state of siege ends
- 30 Jun 1955 Johnny Carson Show, debuts on CBS-TV
- 01 Jul 1955 69th Wimbledon Mens Tennis: Tony Trabert beats Kurt Nielsen (63 75 61)
- 02 Jul 1955 7th Heaven closes at ANTA Theater NYC after 44 performances
- 05 Jul 1955 English harbor strike ends
- 07 Jul 1955 1st LPGA Championship won by Beverly Hanson
- 09 Jul 1955 Rock Around Clock hits #1 on Top 100 chart
- 11 Jul 1955 Congress authorizes all US currency to say In God We Trust
- 12 Jul 1955 22nd All Star Baseball Game: NL wins 6-5 in 12 at County Stadium, Milwaukee
- 15 Jul 1955 WNDU TV channel 16 in South Bend, IN (NBC) begins broadcasting
- 16 Jul 1955 Golden Horseshoe Revue 1st of 50,000+ performances, Disneyland
- 17 Jul 1955 Arco, Idaho becomes first US city lit by nuclear power.
- 18 Jul 1955 280 mm rain in Martinstown, Dorset (UK-record)
- 19 Jul 1955 Balclutha ties up at Pier 43 and becomes a floating museum
- 21 Jul 1955 First submarine powered by liquid metal cooled reactor launched - USS Seawolf.
- 22 Jul 1955 1st VP to preside over cabinet meeting-R Nixon
- 23 Jul 1955 New York Yankees Bob Cerv and E Howard are 1st to hit consecutive pinch HRs
- 24 Jul 1955 Ali Sastroamidjojo of Government resigns in Indonesia
- 26 Jul 1955 37th PGA Championship: Doug Ford at Meadowbrook Country Club - Detroit
- 27 Jul 1955 Bulgaria shoots down a plane heading for Israel (58 die)
- 28 Jul 1955 The Union Mundial pro Interlingua is founded at the first Interlingua congress in Tours, France.
- 29 Jul 1955 Smokey Burgess hits three home runs to help Pittsburgh Pirates beat Cincinnati Reds 16-5.
- 30 Jul 1955 Louison Bobet wins his 3rd Tour de France
- 31 Jul 1955 Beverly Hanson wins LPGA Battle Creek Golf Open
- 01 Aug 1955 Tengku Abdul Rahman forms Malacca government
- 03 Aug 1955 Roger Moens runs world record 800 m (1:45.7)
- 04 Aug 1955 Eisenhower authorizes $46 million for construction of CIA headquarters
- 05 Aug 1955 After playing 274 straight games at 2nd base, Nellie Fox is given a day off he comes back next 798 consecutive games
- 07 Aug 1955 Bar-Ilan University founded in Israel
- 08 Aug 1955 Fidel Castro forms July 26th Movement
- 11 Aug 1955 Indonesia government of Harahap forms
- 12 Aug 1955 22nd NFL Chicago All-Star Game: All-Stars 30, Cleveland 27 (75,000)
- 15 Aug 1955 WXEX TV channel 8 in Richmond-Petersburg, VA (ABC) begins
- 16 Aug 1955 Fiat Motors orders first private atomic reactor.
- 17 Aug 1955 Hurricane Diane, following hurricane Connie floods Connecticut River killing 190 and doing $1.8 billion damage.
- 18 Aug 1955 46.1 cm rainfall at Westfield, Massachusetts (state record)
- 19 Aug 1955 32.4 cm precipitation at Burlington, Connecticut (state record)
- 20 Aug 1955 First airplane to exceed 1800 mph (2897 kph) - HA Hanes, Palmdale, California, USA.
- 22 Aug 1955 Eleven schoolchildren are killed when their school bus is hit by a freight train in Spring City, Tennessee.
- 23 Aug 1955 Betty Jameson wins LPGA White Mountain Golf Open
- 25 Aug 1955 Last Soviet forces leave Austria
- 27 Aug 1955 Guinness Book of World Records 1st published
- 28 Aug 1955 Marilynn Smith wins LPGA Heart of America Golf Tournament
- 31 Aug 1955 1st microwave TV station operated (Lufkin, Tx)
- 01 Sep 1955 2 Egyptian fighters shot down over Israel
- 02 Sep 1955 KCRA TV channel 3 in Sacramento, CA (NBC) begins broadcasting
- 03 Sep 1955 KTBS TV channel 3 in Shreveport, LA (ABC) begins broadcasting
- 05 Sep 1955 Fred Kaps becomes world champion magician
- 06 Sep 1955 Catch a Star opens at Plymouth Theater NYC for 23 performances
- 08 Sep 1955 Disneyland welcomes its one millionth visitor.
- 09 Sep 1955 Don Zimmer, hits 4,000th Dodger home run
- 10 Sep 1955 Gunsmoke premieres on CBS TV
- 11 Sep 1955 69th US Womens Tennis: Doris Hart beats Patricia Ward (64 62)
- 12 Sep 1955 KNTV TV channel 11 in San Jose, CA (ABC) begins broadcasting
- 14 Sep 1955 Herb Score sets rookie record of 235 strikeouts (en route 245)
- 15 Sep 1955 WCTV TV channel 6 in Tallahassee-Thomasville, Florida (CBS) begins
- 16 Sep 1955 Bauer and Berra homer in 9th beating Red Sox 5-4 taking over 1st
- 17 Sep 1955 Ankles Aweigh closes at Mark Hellinger Theater NYC after 176 performances
- 18 Sep 1955 Marilynn Smith wins LPGA Mile High Golf Open
- 19 Sep 1955 Cubs slugger Ernie Banks hits record 5th grand slam of season
- 20 Sep 1955 Willie Mays (Giants) homers off Vern Law (Pirates) in both ends of DH
- 21 Sep 1955 Last allied occupying troops leave Austria
- 22 Sep 1955 (ITV) Commercial TV begins in England
- 23 Sep 1955 Pakistan signs Pact of Baghdad
- 24 Sep 1955 Catch a Star closes at Plymouth Theater NYC after 23 performances
- 25 Sep 1955 Detroit outfielder Al Kaline, 20, is youngest batting champ
- 26 Sep 1955 New York Stock Exchange suffers worst stock prices decline since 1929.
- 28 Sep 1955 1st World Series color TV broadcast on NBC-TV (Yanks beat Dodgers)
- 29 Sep 1955 Sergeant Preston, debuts on CBS
- 30 Sep 1955 Film star James Dean dies in a road accident aged 24.
- 01 Oct 1955 Honeymooners premieres
- 02 Oct 1955 Alfred Hitchcock Presents premieres
- 03 Oct 1955 Captain Kangaroo premieres on CBS-TV, Good Morning, Captain!
- 04 Oct 1955 Brooklyn Dodgers only World Series victory, beating New York Yankees in 7 (World Series #52).
- 05 Oct 1955 Disneyland Hotel opens to the public in Anaheim, California.
- 06 Oct 1955 LSD made illegal in US
- 07 Oct 1955 Aircraft carrier USS Saratoga at Brooklyn launched
- 08 Oct 1955 World's most powerful aircraft carrier, Saratoga (US), launched.
- 09 Oct 1955 Betty Jameson wins LPGA Richmond Golf Open
- 11 Oct 1955 All Peron feast days disposed of in Argentina
- 14 Oct 1955 ODECA secretariat inaugurated.
- 17 Oct 1955 Lee Merriwether joins Today Show panel
- 18 Oct 1955 Track and Field names Jesse Owens all-time track athelete
- 20 Oct 1955 No Time for Sergeants opens on Broadway, starring Andy Griffith
- 22 Oct 1955 WWNY TV channel 7 in Carthage-Watertown, New York (CBS) begins broadcasting
- 23 Oct 1955 Dominican League moves to winter baseball for 1st time
- 25 Oct 1955 Austria resumed its sovereignty after departure of last Allied occupation forces, for 1st time since German occupation of 1938
- 26 Oct 1955 1st edition of Village Voice (NYC) published
- 27 Oct 1955 Argentine peso devalued
- 28 Oct 1955 Egypt and Saudi-Arabia sign defense treaty
- 29 Oct 1955 Belgium signs accord for 5 day work week (45 hours)
- 31 Oct 1955 Mgr Alfrink appointed Archbishop of Utrecht
- 01 Nov 1955 The bombing of United Airlines Flight 629 occurs near Longmont, Colorado, killing all 39 passengers and five crew members aboard the Douglas DC-6B airliner.
- 02 Nov 1955 Clarton-Schwerdt and Schaffer discover polio virus
- 03 Nov 1955 1st virus crystallized (announced)
- 04 Nov 1955 After being totally destroyed in World War II, the rebuilt Vienna State Opera reopens with a performance of Beethoven's Fidelio.
- 05 Nov 1955 Montreal Canadien Jean Beliveau scores 2nd fastest hat trick (44 seconds)
- 06 Nov 1955 11th Ryder Cup: US, 8-4 at Thunderbird Ranch and Country Club - California
- 07 Nov 1955 Supreme Court of Baltimore bans segregation in public recreational areas.
- 09 Nov 1955 New Zealand all out for 70 vs. Pakistan at Dacca
- 10 Nov 1955 Vamp opens at Winter Garden Theater NYC for 60 performances
- 12 Nov 1955 1st West German officers sworn in
- 13 Nov 1955 Argentine General Pedro Aramburu succeeds E Lonardi as President
- 15 Nov 1955 Poland andYugoslavia sign trade agreement
- 16 Nov 1955 Johnny Cash made his 1st chart appearance with Cry Cry Cry
- 18 Nov 1955 Bell X-2 rocket plane taken up for first powered flight.
- 19 Nov 1955 KXMB TV channel 12 in Bismarck, ND (CBS / ABC) begins broadcasting
- 20 Nov 1955 Bo Diddley makes his television debut on Ed Sullivan's ''Toast Of The Town'' show for the CBS-TV network.
- 21 Nov 1955 KTVO TV channel 3 in Ottumwa-Kirksville, IA (ABC) begins broadcasting
- 23 Nov 1955 British transfer Cocos (Keeling) Island in Indian Ocean to Australia.
- 25 Nov 1955 Race segregation forbidden on trains and buses between US states
- 26 Nov 1955 Boy Friend closes at Royale Theater NYC after 483 performances
- 28 Nov 1955 KMVI (now WMAU) TV channel 12 in Wailuku, HI (IND) begins broadcasting
- 29 Nov 1955 Turkish government of Menderes resigns
- 30 Nov 1955 Pipe Dream opens at Shubert Theater NYC for 245 performances
- 01 Dec 1955 Rosa Parks (black) arrested for refusing to move to the back of bus
- 03 Dec 1955 KTVE TV channel 10 in Monroe-El Dorado, LA (NBC) begins broadcasting
- 05 Dec 1955 Historic bus boycott begins in Montgomery, Alabama, by Rosa Parks.
- 06 Dec 1955 New York psychologist Joyce Brothers wins TV's "$64,000 Question" on boxing.
- 08 Dec 1955 21st Heisman Trophy Award: Howard Cassady, Ohio State (HB).
- 09 Dec 1955 Adnan Menderes of DP forms the new government of Turkey (22nd government)
- 10 Dec 1955 The Mighty Mouse Playhouse premieres on television.
- 14 Dec 1955 Dutch Reformed Church condemns woman / wife as vicar
- 15 Dec 1955 Jens Olsen's World Clock is started by Danish King Frederick IX and Jens Olsen's youngest grandchild Birgit.
- 19 Dec 1955 Carl Perkins records Blue Suede Shoes
- 20 Dec 1955 Cardiff is proclaimed the capital city of Wales, United Kingdom.
- 22 Dec 1955 American cytogeneticist Joe Hin Tjio discovers the correct number of human chromosomes, forty-six.
- 24 Dec 1955 NORAD Tracks Santa for the first time in what will become an annual Christmas Eve tradition.
- 25 Dec 1955 Cleveland Browns win NFL championship
- 26 Dec 1955 RKO is 1st to announce sale of its film library to TV
- 28 Dec 1955 44th Davis Cup: Australia beats USA in New York (5-0).
- 31 Dec 1955 Vamp closes at Winter Garden Theater NYC after 60 performances