As the world was in turmoil over the future of the Earth, Tom Cruise was a happy man as his movie Mission Impossible II was the highest-grossing film at the box office.
The year 2000 was also the World Mathematical year as well as the International Year for the Culture of Peace. It is the year that saw the publishing of Stephen King’s Riding the Bullet, the world’s first E-book for the mass market.
At the height of the internet bubble, America Online Inc. announced that it was acquiring Time Warner Inc for a cool $182 billion, which in stock and debt. The merger formed a $350 billion mega media empire spanning music production, publishing, entertainment, cable TV, news, and internet services. The Federal Trade Commission gave the two companies to go ahead with the merger in December 2000. AQL shareholders owned 55% of the new company while Time Warner shareholders owned the remaining 45%.
On August 9, tire manufacturer Bridgestone/Firestone Inc. announced they recalled over 6 million Wilderness AT, ATX, and ATX II tires. The recall came two days after the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration linked the tires to hundreds of accidents resulting in 46 deaths. The tread of the tires was the problem with the tires. The investigation led to the fact that the tread on the 15-inch Wilderness AT tires, ATX and ATX II tended to peel off, and this resulted in vehicles rolling over.
Christmas is one of the happiest seasons of the year to many people. In China, on Christmas day 2000, a Christmas party turned deadly. The party was at an unlicensed disco, and it caught fire as the party rolled on. More than 300 people lost their lives in the incident that took place in Luoyang China.
Contrary to reports that the world was ending, year 2,000 ushered in an age of technological advancements and access to civil rights for marginalized societies and groups. It is the first year of the current millennium.
Discover how India looked like in 2000
Have a look at the old newspapers from 2000 and get them!
Which were the most popular movies released this year ?
Directed by: Steven Soderbergh
Starring: Michael Douglas, Benicio Del Toro, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Jacob Vargas
Country: United States
Directed by: Boaz Yakin
Starring: Denzel Washington, Will Patton, Wood Harris, Ryan Hurst
Directed by: Christopher Nolan
Starring: Guy Pearce, Carrie-Anne Moss, Joe Pantoliano, Mark Boone Junior
Directed by: Cameron Crowe
Starring: Billy Crudup, Patrick Fugit, Kate Hudson, Frances McDormand
Which were the top hits of 2000 ?
Which were the most popular books released in 2000 ?
By: Mitch Albom
Maybe it was a grandparent, or a teacher, or a colleague. Someone older, patient and wise, who understood you when you were young and searching, helped you see the world as a more profound place, gave you sound advice to ...
By: Tom Brokaw
The instant classic and runaway bestseller that changed the way we saw World War II and an entire generation of Americans, from the beloved journalist whose own iconic career has lasted more than fifty years.
By: the Dalai Lama and Howard C. Cutler
From the authors who brought you the million-copy bestseller The Art of Happiness comes an exploration of job, career, and finding the ultimate happiness at work.It
By: Spencer Johnson
THE #1 INTERNATIONAL BESTSELLER WITH OVER 10 MILLION COPIES IN PRINT!A timeless business classic, Who Moved My Cheese? uses a simple parabel to reveal profound truths about dealing with change so that you can enjoy less stress and more success ...
Which were the top popular names given to babies born in 2000 in the USA ?
Click on the dates below to find out what the world looked like in each day of 2000