In 1989, the Western world watched as George HW Bush received the presidential torch from Ronald Reagan. At the time the former took office, the world had reached population of roughly 5.2 billion.
Amongst a sea of babies named Mike and Jessica, the world welcomed famous people like Chris Brown, Daniel Radcliffe, and Taylor Swift. On the other hand, some well-known people passed from this earth. Included amongst their numbers were Salvador Dali, Hirohito (the Emperor of Japan), Ted Bundy, Lucille Ball, and Bette Davis.
John Grisham kept millions on the edge of their seats, and himself on the top of the best-selling list, with the premiere of A Time to Kill. Meanwhile, at the movies, Batman and Dead Poets Society smashed box office records. Power through the rest of this write-up to discover how 1979 helped preserve peace, permanently changed our ocean’s landscape, and opened the world of advertising to Spanish-speaking people all across the globe.
Some notable things happened for the first time in 1989. A heterosexual couple reported their contracting of AIDs. The world’s first Spanish commercial was aired on American television and the first stamp dedicated to gay and lesbian Americans was unveiled. The former communist country, the USSR, happened to see free elections for the first time in decades. Lastly, this year saw the day the USA tested its first stealth bomber.
Two key tragedies across the world set 1989 apart: the massacre at Tiananmen Square and the horrific environmental-catastrophe that was the Exxon-Valdez oil spill. To end this paragraph on a positive note, 1989 also saw 140 countries band together to eliminate the use of chemical weapons such as Agent Orange and Mustard Gas. On 9 November 1989 in addition the Berlin wall collapsed.
For anyone who loves Batman, and shakes their fists at the massacre at Tiananmen Square, the year 1989 should be jotted down as a noteworthy one.
Which were the most popular movies released this year ?
Which were the top hits of 1989 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Gloria Estefan - Don't Wanna Lose You
- Paula Abdul - Cold Hearted
- Janet Jackson - Miss You Much
- Bette Midler - Wind Beneath My Wings
- Debbie Gibson - Lost In Your Eyes
- Billy Joel - We Didn't Start The Fire
- Richard Marx - Right Here Waiting
- Madonna - Like A Prayer
- Fine Young Cannibals - She Drives Me Crazy
- Paula Abdul - Straight Up
Top #10 songs in the UK
- Milli Vanilli - Girl I'm Gonna Miss You
- The Bangles - Eternal Flame
- Jive Bunny & The Mastermixers - That's What I Like
- Natalie Cole - Miss You Like Crazy
- Soul II Soul - Back To Life (However Do You Want Me)
- Black Box - Ride On Time
- Michael Ball - Love Changes Everything
- Marc Almond featuring Gene Pitney - Something's Gotten Hold Of My Heart
- Mike & The Mechanics - The Living Years
- Jason Donovan - Too Many Broken Hearts
Which were the most popular books released in 1989 ?
Which were the top popular names given to babies born in 1989 in the USA ?
Top #10 male names
Top #10 female names
What happened in each day of 1989
Click on the dates below to find out what the world looked like in each day of 1989