In 1989, the Western world watched as George HW Bush received the presidential torch from Ronald Reagan. At the time the former took office, the world had reached population of roughly 5.2 billion.
Amongst a sea of babies named Mike and Jessica, the world welcomed famous people like Chris Brown, Daniel Radcliffe, and Taylor Swift. On the other hand, some well-known people passed from this earth. Included amongst their numbers were Salvador Dali, Hirohito (the Emperor of Japan), Ted Bundy, Lucille Ball, and Bette Davis.
John Grisham kept millions on the edge of their seats, and himself on the top of the best-selling list, with the premiere of A Time to Kill. Meanwhile, at the movies, Batman and Dead Poets Society smashed box office records. Power through the rest of this write-up to discover how 1979 helped preserve peace, permanently changed our ocean’s landscape, and opened the world of advertising to Spanish-speaking people all across the globe.
Some notable things happened for the first time in 1989. A heterosexual couple reported their contracting of AIDs. The world’s first Spanish commercial was aired on American television and the first stamp dedicated to gay and lesbian Americans was unveiled. The former communist country, the USSR, happened to see free elections for the first time in decades. Lastly, this year saw the day the USA tested its first stealth bomber.
Two key tragedies across the world set 1989 apart: the massacre at Tiananmen Square and the horrific environmental-catastrophe that was the Exxon-Valdez oil spill. To end this paragraph on a positive note, 1989 also saw 140 countries band together to eliminate the use of chemical weapons such as Agent Orange and Mustard Gas. On 9 November 1989 in addition the Berlin wall collapsed.
For anyone who loves Batman, and shakes their fists at the massacre at Tiananmen Square, the year 1989 should be jotted down as a noteworthy one.
All Academy Awards Prize winners of the 62nd edition of the Oscar ceremony
Driving Miss Daisy
Best supporting actor
Best supporting actress
Time Person of the Year
Who was the person of the year of 1989?
Which were the most popular books released in 1989 ?
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free
All Nobel Prize winners of 1989
- Tenzin Gyatso (The 14th Dalai Lama)
- Camilo José Cela
- Norman Foster Ramsey Jr.
- Hans Georg Dehmelt
- Wolfgang Paul
- Trygve Haavelmo
- Sidney Altman
- Thomas Cech
Physiology or Medicine
- J. Michael Bishop
- Harold E. Varmus
Which were the top hits of 1989?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Gloria Estefan - Don't Wanna Lose You
- Paula Abdul - Cold Hearted
- Janet Jackson - Miss You Much
- Bette Midler - Wind Beneath My Wings
- Debbie Gibson - Lost In Your Eyes
- Billy Joel - We Didn't Start The Fire
- Richard Marx - Right Here Waiting
- Madonna - Like A Prayer
- Fine Young Cannibals - She Drives Me Crazy
- Paula Abdul - Straight Up
Top #1 songs in the UK
- Milli Vanilli - Girl I'm Gonna Miss You
- The Bangles - Eternal Flame
- Jive Bunny & The Mastermixers - That's What I Like
- Natalie Cole - Miss You Like Crazy
- Soul II Soul - Back To Life (However Do You Want Me)
- Black Box - Ride On Time
- Michael Ball - Love Changes Everything
- Marc Almond featuring Gene Pitney - Something's Gotten Hold Of My Heart
- Mike & The Mechanics - The Living Years
- Jason Donovan - Too Many Broken Hearts
Which were the most popular Movies released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Demographic statistics of the year 1989
- Total population: 5.2 billion (5,237,441,558 to be precise!)
- Urban population: 2.3 billion, that is 43.0% of the total population of 1989 lives in cities
- Yearly change: +92.1 million, corresponding to a percentage increase of +1.79%
- Average density: 35.0 persons per km2
Which were the important events of 1989?
- 01 Jan 1989 Actress Kelly McGillis gets married
- 02 Jan 1989 UCLA wins a record 7th consecutive bowl game.
- 03 Jan 1989 Jim and Tammy Bakker return to TV (Oy Vey!)
- 04 Jan 1989 US F-14s shoot down 2 Libyan jet fighters over Mediterranean
- 05 Jan 1989 Baseball signs $400M with ESPN, showing 175 games in 1990
- 07 Jan 1989 Akhito becomes Emperor of Japan
- 08 Jan 1989 42nd Street closes at Winter Garden Theater in New York City, New York after 3,486 performances.
- 09 Jan 1989 Pat Sajak Show premieres on CBS
- 11 Jan 1989 140 nations agree to ban chemical weapons (poison gas, etc.).
- 12 Jan 1989 6 claim to survive in rubble, 35 days after Armenian quake (hoax)
- 13 Jan 1989 Computers across Britain hit by Friday the 13th virus
- 14 Jan 1989 Romance / Romance closes at Helen Hayes Theater NYC after 297 performances
- 15 Jan 1989 Cerberal Palsy telethon raises US$22,600,000.
- 16 Jan 1989 (to January 18) Race riots occur in Overtown, Miami, Florida.
- 17 Jan 1989 Gunman opens fire in California schoolyard; 5 students slain, 30 wounded
- 18 Jan 1989 Candace Thomas marries Steve Garvey
- 19 Jan 1989 President Reagan pardons George Steinbrenner for illegal funds for Nixon.
- 20 Jan 1989 Bush inaugurated as 41st President and Quayle becomes 44th vice President
- 21 Jan 1989 A woman is assaulted and raped in room of an Okla football player
- 22 Jan 1989 Super Bowl XXIII: San Francisco 49ers beat Cincinnati Bengals, 20-16 in Miami; Most Valuable Player: Jerry Rice, San Francisco, Wide Receiver.
- 23 Jan 1989 Challenge to "who is a Jew" law filed in Israeli Supreme Court.
- 24 Jan 1989 1st reported case of AIDS transmitted by heterosexual oral sex
- 25 Jan 1989 Augusto Alcalde, 1st South American Zen teacher, receives Dharma Transmission
- 26 Jan 1989 Black & Blue opens at Minskoff Theater NYC for 829 performances
- 27 Jan 1989 Kevin Johnson (Phoenix) begins NBA free throw streak of 57 games
- 28 Jan 1989 46th Golden Globes: Rain Man, Working Girl.
- 29 Jan 1989 Dow jumps 38.06 recoups 508-pt loss since October 1987; index at 2,256.43
- 30 Jan 1989 Joel Steinberg found guilty of 1st degree manslaughter of daughter
- 01 Feb 1989 Princess Diane of England visits New York City
- 03 Feb 1989 Bill White named NL President; 1st black major-league sports head
- 04 Feb 1989 Dean Jones scores 216 versus West Indies at the Adelaide Oval.
- 05 Feb 1989 Kareem Abdul-Jabar becomes first NBA player to score 38,000 points.
- 06 Feb 1989 Lech Walesa begins negotiating with the Polish government.
- 07 Feb 1989 The Los Angeles, California, City Council bans the sale or possession of semiautomatic weapons.
- 08 Feb 1989 5 cm of snow falls in outskirts of Los Angeles
- 09 Feb 1989 Kevin Johnson (Phoenix Suns) ends NBA free throw streak of 57 games.
- 10 Feb 1989 Minor League Football System opens organizational meeting, Saint Louis, Missouri.
- 11 Feb 1989 George O'Hanlon, American actor/director (Bop Girl, Zamba), dies at age 71 (born 1912).
- 12 Feb 1989 5 Pakistani Moslem rioters killed protesting Satanic Verses novel
- 13 Feb 1989 Salvadoran army attacks Encuentros hospital, rapes, kills patients
- 14 Feb 1989 Boxer Mike Tyson divorces actress Robin Givens
- 15 Feb 1989 Soviet military occupation of Afgh nist n ends
- 16 Feb 1989 Jane Fonda and Tom Hayden separate after 16 years of marriage
- 17 Feb 1989 Former baseball player / manager Leo Durocher injured in a car crash
- 18 Feb 1989 Sherri Turner wins LPGA Orix Hawaiian Ladies Golf Open / Itoki Pro-Am
- 19 Feb 1989 Legs Diamond closes at Mark Hellinger Theater NYC after 64 performances
- 20 Feb 1989 Members of 1949 Oklahoma football team cancel an April reunion because of the deplorable conduct of Oklahoma players.
- 21 Feb 1989 US capture record 820 lbs of heroin ($1 B street value)[dup]
- 22 Feb 1989 Fins ministry of Public health installs sex vacation to thwart stress
- 23 Feb 1989 After protracted testimony, the U.S. Senate Armed Services Committee rejects, 11-9, President Bush's nomination of John Tower for Secretary of Defense.
- 24 Feb 1989 US Boeing 747 loses parts of roof over Pacific, 9 die
- 25 Feb 1989 Lowest baramotric pressure in the Netherlands (956.7 mbar at De Bilt)
- 26 Feb 1989 Lowest barometric pressure in the Netherlands (95.5 hPa)
- 27 Feb 1989 Venezuela is rocked by the Caracazo riots.
- 28 Feb 1989 Memo by Brian Gumbel criticizing Today Show co-workers becomes public
- 01 Mar 1989 Julianne Philips and Bruce Springsteen divorce
- 02 Mar 1989 12 European nations agree to ban chlorofluorocarbon production by 2000
- 03 Mar 1989 Robert McFarlane gets $20,000 fine, two years probation for Iran-Contra.
- 04 Mar 1989 Eastern Airlines machinists strike
- 05 Mar 1989 19th Easter Seal Telethon raises US$37,002,000.
- 07 Mar 1989 Partial eclipse of the Sun (Hawaii, North West North America, Greenland).
- 08 Mar 1989 Heidi Chronicles opens at Plymouth Theater NYC for 621 performances
- 09 Mar 1989 Roger Kingdom runs world record 60 metre hurdles indoor (7.36 seconds).
- 12 Mar 1989 Two cyanide-contaminated Chilean grapes found (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA).
- 13 Mar 1989 27th shuttle, Discovery 8, launched, 1st woman to do the countdown
- 14 Mar 1989 Stack's auctions a $1000 US Treasury note for US$100,000, a record price for paper money.
- 15 Mar 1989 Les Miserables, opens at Royal Alexandra Theatre Toronto
- 16 Mar 1989 The Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union approves agricultural reforms allowing farmers the right to lease state-owned farms for life.
- 17 Mar 1989 Chu Chem opens at Ritz Theater NYC for 44 performances
- 18 Mar 1989 Largest Art robbery in the history (Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston), where 12 paintings valued at $100 million are stolen
- 19 Mar 1989 Boeing B-22 Osprey VTOL aircraft makes maiden flight
- 20 Mar 1989 Baseball announces Reds manager Pete Rose is under investigation
- 21 Mar 1989 First sea test of Trident 2 missile self-destructs, Cape Canaveral.
- 22 Mar 1989 US Supreme Court upholds one person one vote rule of New York City, New York Board of Estimate.
- 23 Mar 1989 2 Utah scientists claim they have produced fusion at room temperature
- 24 Mar 1989 Mary Martin in Peter Pan, 1st seen on TV since 1973
- 26 Mar 1989 1st free elections in the USSR; 190 M votes cast; Boris Yeltsin wins
- 27 Mar 1989 1st half-black soap opera, Generations, premieres on NBC-TV
- 29 Mar 1989 61st Academy Awards - Rainman, Dustin Hoffman and Jodie Foster win
- 31 Mar 1989 Donald Trump purchases Eastern Airlines' Northeast Shuttle.
- 01 Apr 1989 1st New York Met-NY Yankee game in NYC since 1983, Yanks win 4-3
- 02 Apr 1989 Wrestlemania V at Trump Plaza, Hulk Hogan beats Macho Man Savage
- 03 Apr 1989 Sunrise a Gannett newspaper begins publishing for Bronx
- 04 Apr 1989 New York Yankees' Tommy John ties record of playing 26 seasons; his 287th win puts him 19th overall as New York Yankees beat Minnesota Twins on opening day 4-2.
- 05 Apr 1989 Orel Hershiser ends his 59 consecutive scoreless pitched inning streak.
- 06 Apr 1989 Orel Hershiser ends his record 59 consecutive scoreless streak
- 07 Apr 1989 Soviet submarine Komsomolets sinks in the Barents Sea off the coast of Norway killing 42 sailors.
- 09 Apr 1989 Mike Tyson strikes a parking attendant when asked to move his car
- 10 Apr 1989 10th Emmy Sports Award presentation
- 11 Apr 1989 Flyers, scores short-handed into an empty net beating Caps 8-5
- 12 Apr 1989 Peter Ueberroth deal to purchase Eastern Airlines falls through
- 13 Apr 1989 Welcome to the Club opens at Music Box Theater NYC for 12 performances
- 14 Apr 1989 In the Iran-Contra trial, Oliver North's case goes to the jury.
- 15 Apr 1989 95 crushed to death at Sheffield Soccer Stadium in England
- 16 Apr 1989 Pat Bradley wins LPGA AI Star / Centinela Hospital Golf Classic
- 17 Apr 1989 Maximum New York State unemployment benefits raised to $245 per week
- 18 Apr 1989 Zimbabwe gains independence
- 19 Apr 1989 Republic Day in Sierra Leone
- 20 Apr 1989 NATO debates modernising short range missiles although the U.S. and U.K. are in favour, West German Chancellor Helmut Kohl obtains a concession deferring a decision.
- 21 Apr 1989 George W Bush and Edward W Rose become CEO of Texas Rangers
- 22 Apr 1989 Welcome to the Club closes at Music Box Theater NYC after 12 performances
- 23 Apr 1989 Betsy King wins LPGA USX Golf Classic.
- 24 Apr 1989 Massachusetts declares today "New Kids on the Block Day".
- 25 Apr 1989 Mike Tyson gets a speeding ticket for drag racing in Albany, New York
- 26 Apr 1989 Mike Tyson is ticketed for driving 71 mph in 30 mile zone in Albany
- 27 Apr 1989 Starmites opens at Criter Ctr SR Theater NYC for 60 performances
- 28 Apr 1989 Iran protests sale of Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie
- 29 Apr 1989 2nd government of Lubbers falls
- 30 Apr 1989 Pope John Paul II beatifies Victoire Rasoamanarivo of Madagascar.
- 01 May 1989 The Disney-MGM Studios Theme Park at Walt Disney World opens to the public. It covers 135 acres. Total construction costs were over US$500 million. Advertising and promotions for the opening cost US$30 million. Entrance prices are US$29 for adults, and US$23 for children aged 3-9.
- 04 May 1989 US launches Magellan to Venus.
- 05 May 1989 Mike Tyson gets 2nd speeding ticket for drag racing in Albany, New York
- 06 May 1989 115th Kentucky Derby: Pat Valenzuela on Sunday Silence wins in 2:05.
- 07 May 1989 Juli Inkster wins LPGA Crestar Golf Classic.
- 08 May 1989 Paul McCartney releases My Brave Face andFerry Cross the Mersey
- 09 May 1989 Saratina! closes at Cort Theater NYC after 597 performances
- 10 May 1989 FC Barcelona wins 29th Europe Cup II.
- 11 May 1989 217th and final episode of Dynasty is aired
- 12 May 1989 Entertainment Tonight performs their 2,000th TV performance
- 13 May 1989 Trinidad and Tobago ties US 1-1, in third round of 1990 world soccer cup.
- 14 May 1989 Final TV episode of Family Ties airs
- 15 May 1989 Chu Chem closes at Ritz Theater NYC after 44 performances
- 16 May 1989 Soviet President Mikhail S Gorbachev and Chinese leader Deng Xiaoping end a 30-year rift when they formally meet in Beijing.
- 17 May 1989 Nelson Mandela receives a BA from University of South Africa
- 18 May 1989 Lisa Strawberry files for divorce from Darryl
- 19 May 1989 Sue Ellen (Linda Gray) last appearance on Dallas
- 20 May 1989 China declares martial law in Beijing
- 21 May 1989 35th Mazda LPGA Championship won by Nancy Lopez (her third LPGA championship).
- 22 May 1989 Amid food riots and looting set off by inflation, Argentina declares a nationwide state of siege.
- 23 May 1989 Cleveland loses and drop to 21-22, this is the latest a sub .500 team is in 1st place (AL East)
- 24 May 1989 Indiana Jones & Last Crusade premieres
- 25 May 1989 Stanley Cup: Calgary Flames beat Montreal Canadiens, 4 games to 2
- 26 May 1989 At 7:42 AM, radio has a 30 2nd silence, honoring radio
- 28 May 1989 Delta Burke (Designing Women) weds Gerald McRaney (Major Dad)
- 29 May 1989 Student protesters in China construct a replica of Statue of Liberty
- 30 May 1989 Tiananmen Square protests of 1989: the 33-foot high ''Goddess of Democracy'' statue is unveiled in Tiananmen Square by student demonstrators.
- 31 May 1989 Rambling with Gambling 20,000th radio program on WOR-AM (NYC)
- 01 Jun 1989 62nd National Spelling Bee: Scott Isaacs wins spelling spoliator
- 02 Jun 1989 Dead Poets Society starring Robin Williams, premieres
- 03 Jun 1989 Leaking pipe of Asha, USSR causes 2 trains to catch fire; 460 die
- 04 Jun 1989 Gas explodes near 2 passenger trains in the USSR, kills 100s
- 05 Jun 1989 23rd Music City News Country Awards: R Van Shelton and Randy Travis
- 06 Jun 1989 Mets turn their 1st triple play in 7 years but lose to Cubs 8-4
- 07 Jun 1989 1st Baseball game to start outdoors and end indoors, as Toronto Blue Jays stadium closes roof during game at 8:48, and beat Brewers 4-2
- 09 Jun 1989 Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, premieres in USA
- 10 Jun 1989 Tales From The Crypt, TV Anthology, debuts on HBO
- 11 Jun 1989 7th Seniors Players Golf Championship: Orville Moody
- 12 Jun 1989 Doctor Doctor, TV Comedy starring Matt Frewer, debuts on CBS-TV
- 13 Jun 1989 43rd NBA Championship: Detroit Pistons sweeps LA Lakers in 4 games
- 14 Jun 1989 Queen Elizabeth II knights Ronald Reagan
- 15 Jun 1989 Ronald Reagan is knighted by Queen Elizabeth II.
- 16 Jun 1989 Ghostbusters II premieres
- 17 Jun 1989 US beats Guatemala 2-1, in third round of 1990 world soccer cup.
- 18 Jun 1989 Starmites closes at Criter Ctr SR Theater NYC after 60 performances
- 19 Jun 1989 Mets Dwight Gooden wins his 100th game (100-37)
- 21 Jun 1989 Carlton Fisk becomes AL catcher HR hitter, 307th at Yankee stadium
- 23 Jun 1989 Movie Batman premieres
- 24 Jun 1989 Cards Vince Coleman steals record 39th and 40th consecutive bases
- 25 Jun 1989 Day By Day, last airs on NBC-TV
- 26 Jun 1989 Canada updates coins with a new potrait of the Queen
- 27 Jun 1989 The current international treaty defending indigenous peoples, ILO 169 convention, is adopted.
- 28 Jun 1989 The 600th anniversary of the Battle of Kosovo. Serbian leader Slobodan Milosevic delivers the Gazimestan speech at the site of the historic battle.
- 29 Jun 1989 Emmy 16th Daytime Award presentation - Susan Lucci loses for 10th time
- 30 Jun 1989 Les Miserables, opens at Theatre Muzyczyny, Gdynia
- 01 Jul 1989 Hugh Hefner (Playboy editor) weds playmate Kimberly Conrad
- 02 Jul 1989 10th US Seniors Golf Open: Orville Moody
- 03 Jul 1989 The movie Batman sets record of quickest US$100 million (10 days).
- 04 Jul 1989 14 year old actress Drew Barrymore, attempts suicide
- 05 Jul 1989 Rod Stewart hits his head while on stage and knocks himself out
- 06 Jul 1989 Despite retiring May 29, Mike Schmidt elected to start All Star game
- 09 Jul 1989 103rd Wimbledon Mens Tennis: B Becker beats Stefan Edberg (60 76 64)
- 10 Jul 1989 Paula Ivan runs female world record 1 mile (4:15.61)
- 11 Jul 1989 60th All Star Baseball Game: AL wins 5-3 at Anaheim Stadium, Anaheim All star MVP: Bo Jackson (Kansas City Royals)
- 12 Jul 1989 New York Yankees' pitching great Ron Guidry retires (170-91 .651, 3.29 ERA).
- 14 Jul 1989 16th James Bond movies License to Kill premieres
- 17 Jul 1989 1st Test flight of US stealth-bomber
- 18 Jul 1989 48 cm rainfall at Rockport, West Virginia (state record)
- 19 Jul 1989 Cleveland Indian Joe Carter has his 4th 3 HR game
- 20 Jul 1989 Burma government puts Author Aung San Suu Kyi under house arrest
- 21 Jul 1989 Eastern Airlines submits a reorganization plan to creditors
- 23 Jul 1989 118th British Golf Open: Mark Calcavecchia shoots a 275 at Royal Troon
- 24 Jul 1989 Paula Gwynn, 22, crowned 21st Miss Black America
- 25 Jul 1989 Brandi Sherwood, of Idaho, crowned 7th Miss Teen USA
- 26 Jul 1989 A federal grand jury indicts Cornell University student Robert Tappan Morris, Jr. for releasing a computer virus, making him the first person to be prosecuted under the 1986 Computer Fraud and Abuse Act.
- 27 Jul 1989 Atlanta Braves' player Dale Murphy is 10th to get six RBIs in an inning (6th).
- 28 Jul 1989 Braves Dale Murphy, hits 2 3-run HRs in an inning, 14th man to hit 2 HRs in an inning. Also ties record of 6 RBIs in an inning
- 29 Jul 1989 White Sox trade Harold Baines to Rangers for Scott Fletcher and Sam Sosa
- 30 Jul 1989 Chile amends its constitution
- 31 Jul 1989 Twins trade AL Cy Young Award winner Frank Viola to Mets
- 02 Aug 1989 NASA confirms Voyager 2's discovery of three more moons of Neptune designated temporarily 1989 N2, 1989 N3 and 1989 N24.
- 03 Aug 1989 Lawrence Delisle drives his 4 kids into river
- 05 Aug 1989 General elections are held in Nicaragua with the Sandinista Front winning a majority.
- 06 Aug 1989 Oh! Calcutta! closes at Edison Theater NYC after 5959 performances
- 07 Aug 1989 U.S. Congressman Mickey Leland (Democrat-Texas) and 15 others die in a plane crash in Ethiopia.
- 08 Aug 1989 US space shuttle STS-28 launched
- 11 Aug 1989 Nightmare on Elm Street 5: Dream Child premieres
- 13 Aug 1989 2 hot-air balloon crash at Alice Springs Australia, 13 killed
- 14 Aug 1989 President Pieter W Botha of South Africa, resigns
- 15 Aug 1989 Cancer sufferer / SF Giant pitcher Dave Dravecky breaks arm on mound
- 16 Aug 1989 Roger Kingdom of USA sets the 110m hurdle record (12.92) in Zurich, Switzerland.
- 17 Aug 1989 Orioles shortstop Cal Ripken moves into 3rd place (1,208th cons game)
- 18 Aug 1989 Leading presidential hopeful Luis Carlos Galan is assassinated near Bogota in Colombia.
- 19 Aug 1989 Tadeusz Mazowiecki, elected 1st non-communist President of Poland
- 20 Aug 1989 Aak crashes into pleasure boat The Margin on the Thames, 51 killed
- 21 Aug 1989 Voyager 2 begins a flyby of planet Neptune
- 22 Aug 1989 Nolan Ryan strikes out Rickey Henderson to become the first Major League Baseball pitcher to record 5,000 strikeouts.
- 23 Aug 1989 LA Dodgers beat Montreal Expos, 1-0, in 22 innings (Rick Dempsey HR)
- 24 Aug 1989 British brewery Bass buys Holiday Inn hotel chain
- 25 Aug 1989 After 12-year, 4-billion-mile journey, Voyager 2 flies over cloudtops of Neptune and its moon Triton, sending back photographs of swamps
- 26 Aug 1989 Trumbull Conn, is 1st US team since 1983 to win Little League WS
- 27 Aug 1989 100 march through Bensonhurst protesting racial killings
- 28 Aug 1989 1st regular-season matchup of defending Cy Young Award winners
- 30 Aug 1989 Roman Polanski marries actress Emmanuelle Seigner
- 31 Aug 1989 Aeromexico DC-9 collides over LA, 82 die (15 on the ground)
- 01 Sep 1989 Anything Goes closes at Beaumont Theater NYC after 804 performances
- 02 Sep 1989 Reverend Al Sharpton leads a civil rights march through Bensonhurst.
- 03 Sep 1989 Into the Woods closes at Martin Beck Theater NYC after 764 performances
- 04 Sep 1989 Beth Daniel wins LPGA Rail Charity Golf Classic
- 05 Sep 1989 Chris Evert last US Open match, she is defeated by Zina Garrison
- 06 Sep 1989 6th MTV Awards: Living Colour wins
- 07 Sep 1989 Representatives of the government of Ethiopia and Eritrean separatists meet in Atlanta with former U.S. President Jimmy Carter attempting to broker a peace settlement.
- 08 Sep 1989 George Brett gets his 2,500th hit
- 09 Sep 1989 103rd US Womens Tennis: Steffi Graf beats M Navratilova (36 75 61)
- 10 Sep 1989 109th US Mens Tennis: Boris Becker beats Ivan Lendl (76 16 63 76)
- 11 Sep 1989 KSO-AM in Des Moines Iowa changes call letters to KGGO
- 12 Sep 1989 Emmy News and Documentaries Award presentation
- 13 Sep 1989 Les Miserables, opens at Fisher Theatre, Detroit
- 14 Sep 1989 Calgary Flames become 1st NHL team to play in the USSR, win 4-2
- 16 Sep 1989 Debbye Turner (Mont), 23, crowned 63rd Miss America 1990
- 17 Sep 1989 41st Emmy Awards: LA Law, Cheers, Dana Delany and Candice Bergen win
- 19 Sep 1989 French DC-10 crashes near Niger, 171 die
- 20 Sep 1989 Musical Miss Saigon, premieres in London
- 21 Sep 1989 Hurricane Hugo makes landfall in South Carolina, causing US$7 billion in damage.
- 22 Sep 1989 Cards outfielder Leon Durham suspended for 60 days due to drugs
- 23 Sep 1989 Blue Jays bat out of order against Brewers in 6th inning
- 24 Sep 1989 28th Ryder Cup: US and Europe draw, 14-14 at The Belfry, England
- 25 Sep 1989 Archaeologists open Titus of Rhine grave in Amsterdam
- 26 Sep 1989 Last Vietnamese soldiers leave Cambodia
- 27 Sep 1989 Oakland wins AL West and SF wins NL West title
- 29 Sep 1989 Glenn Frey joins Don Henley on-stage (for 1st time since 1981)
- 30 Sep 1989 Senegambia separates back into Gambia and Senegal
- 01 Oct 1989 Beth Daniel wins LPGA Konica San Jose Golf Classic
- 03 Oct 1989 Panamanian Defense Force attempts coup of Manuel Noriega; fails.
- 04 Oct 1989 Giants Will Clark hits 1st NLCS grand slam since 1977
- 05 Oct 1989 U.S. televangelist John Nunes is found guilty of embezzling US$158 million.
- 07 Oct 1989 Rickey Henderson steals a record 8 bases in a play off (5 games).
- 08 Oct 1989 Oakland beats Toronto, 4-3 in Game 5, to advance to the World Series
- 09 Oct 1989 23rd Country Music Association Award: George Strait, Kathy Mattea wins
- 12 Oct 1989 Musical Buddy with Paul Hipp premieres in London
- 13 Oct 1989 Bob Quinn resigns as New York Yankee VP / GM and replaced by Harding Peterson
- 14 Oct 1989 Dave Stewart is 1st since 1976 to start consecutive World Series openers
- 15 Oct 1989 Billy Graham is given the 1,900th star on Hollywood Boulevard.
- 16 Oct 1989 Bikenibau Paeniu installed as Premier of Tuvalu
- 17 Oct 1989 Earthquake in SF (6.9) cancels 3rd game of World Series, kills 67
- 18 Oct 1989 East German state / party leader Erich Honecker, resigns
- 19 Oct 1989 Dangerous Games opens at Nederlander Theater NYC for 4 performances
- 20 Oct 1989 Pakistan win Sharjah Trophy over India and WI on round-robin
- 21 Oct 1989 Dangerous Games closes at Nederlander Theater NYC after 4 performances
- 22 Oct 1989 Red Khmer occupies Pailin in Cambodia
- 23 Oct 1989 George Harrison releases Best of Dark Horse 1976-89 album
- 24 Oct 1989 After a week's delay due to earthquake, World Series game three is played (World Series #86).
- 28 Oct 1989 Oakland Athletics sweep SF Giants in earthquake / BART series
- 29 Oct 1989 Colleen Walker wins LPGA Nichirei Golf International
- 30 Oct 1989 August A Busch III becomes CEO of St. Louis Cardinals
- 31 Oct 1989 Turgat Ozal elected President of Turkey
- 01 Nov 1989 Les Miserables, opens at Curran Theatre, San Francisco
- 02 Nov 1989 Meet Me in St. Louis opens at Gershwin Theater NYC for 253 performances
- 03 Nov 1989 100s of Bulgarian demonstrate in Sofia for democratic rights
- 04 Nov 1989 1st NBA game at Orlando Arena, Orlando Magic loses to New Jersey Nets, 111-106
- 05 Nov 1989 Threepenny Opera opens at Lunt-Fontanne Theater NYC for 65 performances
- 06 Nov 1989 US marshals and FCC sieze pirate radio station WJPL in Brooklyn
- 07 Nov 1989 In California, convicted murderer Richard Ramirez (the "Night Stalker") is sentenced to death.
- 08 Nov 1989 Cubs Jerome Walton wins the NL Rookie of Year
- 09 Nov 1989 East Berlin opens its borders
- 10 Nov 1989 Bulgarian party President Todor Zjikov, resigns
- 11 Nov 1989 Prince of Central Park closes at Belasco Theater NYC after 4 performances
- 12 Nov 1989 Grand Hotel opens at Martin Beck Theater NYC for 1018 performances
- 13 Nov 1989 Paul McCartney releases Figure of 8 andOu Est Le Soleil
- 14 Nov 1989 Padres reliever Mark Davis wins NL Cy Young Award
- 15 Nov 1989 Batman is released on video tape
- 16 Nov 1989 Gypsy opens at St. James Theater NYC for 477 performances
- 17 Nov 1989 Bret Saberhagen signs record $2,966,667 per year Kansas City Royals contract.
- 18 Nov 1989 Penn is 1st to restrict abortions after Supreme Court gave states the right to do so
- 20 Nov 1989 Milwaukee Brewers center fielder Robin Yount wins AL MVP
- 21 Nov 1989 Law banning smoking on most domestic flights signed by President Bush
- 22 Nov 1989 Aneta Kreglicka of Poland, 24, crowned 39th Miss World
- 23 Nov 1989 Pilots Union give up sympathy strike against Eastern Airlines.
- 24 Nov 1989 Elias Hrawi elected President of Lebanon
- 26 Nov 1989 77th CFL Grey Cup: Saskatchewan defeats Hamilton Tiger-Cats, 43-40
- 27 Nov 1989 George Harrison releases Cheer Down andPoor Little Girl
- 28 Nov 1989 Romanian gymnast Nadia Comaneci flees to Hungary
- 29 Nov 1989 India President Rajiv Gandhi, resigns
- 30 Nov 1989 Deutsche Bank board member Alfred Herrhausen is killed by a Red Army Faction terrorist bomb.
- 01 Dec 1989 Mark Langston signs record US$3.2 million per year California Angels contract.
- 02 Dec 1989 KHJ-TV in Los Angeles CA changes call letters to KCAL-TV
- 03 Dec 1989 Pat Bradley / Bill Glasson wins LPGA J C Penney Golf Classic
- 04 Dec 1989 Prime Minister of Jordan Zaid ibn Shaker resigns and is replaced by Mudar Badran.
- 05 Dec 1989 France TGV train reaches world record speed of 482.4 kph.
- 06 Dec 1989 Frances Bavier, American actress (Aunt Bee - The Andy Griffith Show) dies at age 86 (born 1902).
- 09 Dec 1989 Les Miserables opens at Princess Theatre, Melbourne
- 11 Dec 1989 City of Angels opens at Virginia Theater NYC for 878 performances
- 13 Dec 1989 Walter Davis (Denver Nuggets) ends NBA free throw streak of 53 games.
- 14 Dec 1989 Lee Van Cleef, American actor (The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, Sabata), dies at age 64.
- 15 Dec 1989 The Romanian Revolution begins in Timişoara when rioters break into the Committee Building and cause extensive vandalism. Their attempts to set the buildings on fire are foiled by military units.
- 16 Dec 1989 Walter LeRoy Moody begins his terrorist bombing streak when he sends Judge Robert Smith Vance a bomb in the mail, instantly killing him near his house in Birmingham, Alabama.
- 17 Dec 1989 Brazil elects conservative Fernando Collor de Mello President
- 18 Dec 1989 I Love Lucy Christmas episode, shown for 1st time in over 30 years
- 19 Dec 1989 Larry Bird (Celtics) begins NBA free throw streak of 71 games
- 20 Dec 1989 American forces launch Operation Just Cause in an attempt to overthrow Panamanian dictator Manuel Noriega. 13,000 U.S. troops are sent to occupy Panama City, along with the 12,000 already there.
- 21 Dec 1989 US Vice-President Dan Quayle sends out 30,000 Christmas cards with word "beacon" spelled "beakon".
- 22 Dec 1989 After 23 years of dictatorial rule, Romania ousts Nicolea Ceausescu
- 23 Dec 1989 Nicolae and Elena Ceauşescu are captured in Târgoviște.
- 24 Dec 1989 Charles Taylor enters Liberia to unseat President Samuel K Doe.
- 27 Dec 1989 Oregon begins taking bids on NBA games.
- 28 Dec 1989 Alexander Dubcek elected parliament Chairman of Czech
- 29 Dec 1989 Riots break-out after Hong Kong decides to forcibly repatriate Vietnamese refugees.
- 30 Dec 1989 10th United Negro College Fund raises $12,000,000
- 31 Dec 1989 Me & My Girl closes at Marquis Theater NYC after 1420 performances