Saturday 5 May 1945
It was Saturday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Blood on the Sun, directed by Frank Lloyd, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1945
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1945.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 5 May 1945 ?
- Martyrs Neophytos, Gaius and Gaianus
- Euthymios the Wonderworker
- Barlaam of Serpukhov
- Martin and Heraclius of Illyria
- Eulogios the Confessor
- New Martyr Ephraim of Nea Makri
- Albania: Martyrs' Day.
- Great Martyr Irene
- Roly Poly of Georgia.
- Saint Aventinus (d. 1189)
- Ethiopia: Liberation Day (1941).
- International Midwives Day.
- Adrian of Monzensk
- South Korea: Children's Day.
- Guyana: Indian Immigration Day (1838).
- Council of Europe: Europe Day.
- International No Pants Day.
- Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea and Taiwan (2006): Buddha's Birthday.
- Japan: Tango no Sekku (Boy's Day) or Kodomo no hi (Children's Day).
- Mexico and (informally) the United States: Cinco de Mayo (1862).
- Jiri Svoboda: composer (Accumulator 1).
- Alain Gilles: French professional basketball playmaker, he was very successfull in his club, ASVEL Villeurbanne, near Lyon, winning 8 times the national championship.
- Kurt Loder: American journalist author and critic.
- Lars-Inge Svartenbrandt: Swedish criminal.
- Dianne Willcocks: English sociologist and academic.
- Raphael: Spain -- Spanish singer (When the Sun Sets, Lo Meyur de Ano)
- Peter Van Pels: Jewish Refugee (Born 1926).
- Netherlands and Denmark liberated from Nazi control
- Premier Gerbrandy on Radio Orange tells Dutch they are liberated.
- Uprising against German SS-occupying troops in Prague, Czechoslovakia.
- (1430 hours) German Army Group G of 200-400,000 men surrenders to General Jacob Devers and the US 6th Army Group. Lieutenant General Foertsch signs for Germany. The official cease-fire and surrender is to take effect at noon May 6.
- Prague rises up against the Nazis.
- Ezra Pound, the poet and author, is arrested by American soldiers in Italy for treason.
- Admiral Karl Dönitz orders all U-boats to cease offensive operations and return to their bases.
- A Japanese balloon bomb kills five children and a woman, Elsie Mitchell, near Bly, Oregon, when it explodes as they drag it from the woods. They are the only people killed by an enemy attack on the American mainland during WWII.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1945 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Caldonia - Woody Herman & His Orchestra
- Candy - Johnny Long & His Orchestra
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?