Tuesday 8 May 1945
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Blood on the Sun, directed by Frank Lloyd, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1945
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 8 May 1945 ?
- Saints Wiro, Plechelmus and Otger
- Saint Macharius of Ghent (died 1012)
- Parents' Day in South Korea
- Iris feast of the Region of Brussels capital (in Belgium)
- VE Day
- World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day
- Saint Ida of Nivelles
- Arthur van Leeuwen: Dutch jurist and politician.
- Mike German: Baron German Welsh educator and politician Deputy First Minister for Wales.
- Keith Jarrett: American pianist and composer.
- Janine Haines: Australian school teacher prior to entering politics.
- Louis Azarette: .
- Gen Von Keitel surrenders to Marshal Zhukov
- V-E Day; Germany signs unconditional surrender, WWII ends in Europe
- (0900 hours US Eastern War Time) In Washington, D.C., US President Harry Truman officially announces the unconditional surrender of Germany. He then calls on Japan to surrender unconditionally, or face "utter destruction".
- Canadian troops move into Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- World War II: V-E Day, combat ends in Europe. German forces agree in Rheims, France, to an unconditional surrender.
- Hundreds of Algerian civilians are killed by French Army soldiers in the Setif massacre.
- End of the Prague uprising, today celebrated as a national holiday in the Czech Republic.
- Surrender of the Dodecanese is signed in Symi.
- The British 8th Army, together with Slovene partisan troops and a motorized detachment of the Yugoslav 4th Army, arrives in Carinthia and Klagenfurt.
- 29 ampndash Sétif massacre: In Algeria, thousands die as French troops and released Italian POWs kill an estimated 6,000 to 40,000 Algerian citizens.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1945 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Caldonia - Woody Herman & His Orchestra
- Candy - Johnny Long & His Orchestra
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?