Sunday 6 January 1980, Epiphany
It was Sunday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Steed Malbranque and Sam Sallon.
In that special week of January people in US were listening to Please Don't Go by K.C and the Sunshine Band.
In UK Another Brick In The Wall by Pink Floyd was in the top 5 hits.
Scavenger Hunt, directed by Michael Schultz, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1980
while Jailbird by Kurt Vonnegut was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching One in a Million.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Lords of Karma or Wizard and the Princess.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 6 January 1980!
Which were the important events of 6 January 1980 ?
- Epiphany (National Holiday) in Italy
- Christianity (except Eastern and Oriental Orthodox who follow the Julian Calendar) - Epiphany of the Lord (a.k.a. "Twelfth Day of Christmas" and Three Kings Day in some areas).
- In the Irish Calendar- Little Christmas or Nollaig na mBan (Women's Christmas) and/or Twelfth Day.
- Twelfth Night, or The Lord of Misrule
- Rastafari movement - Celebration of the ceremonial birthday of Haile Selassie
- Ancient Latvia - Zvaigznes Diena observed
- Armenian Christmas (except in the Holy Land where it's on January 18th - old calendar)
- Steed Malbranque: Belgian-French footballer.
- Sam Sallon: English singer-songwriter and guitarist.
- Apostolia Zoi: Greek singer.
- Phil Flyers set NHL record of 35 straight games without a defeat
- Global Positioning System time epoch begins at 00:00 UTC.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 6 January 1980
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1980 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- K.C and the Sunshine Band - Please Don't Go
- Rupert Holmes - Escape (The Pina Colada Song)
- Michael Jackson - Rock With You
- Stevie Wonder - Send One Your Love
- Captain and Tennille - Do That To Me One More Time
- Styx - Babe
- Commodores - Still
- Kenny Rogers - Coward Of The County
- Kool & The Gang - Ladies Night
- Cliff Richard - We Don't Talk Anymore
Top #9 songs in the UK
- Pink Floyd - Another Brick In The Wall
- St Winifred's School Choir - There's No One Quite Like Grandma
- Abba - I Have A Dream
- Abba - Super Trouper
- The Pretenders - Brass In Pocket
- Fiddler's Dram - Day Trip To Bangor
- Jona Lewie - Stop The Cavalry
- The Tourists - I Only Want To Be With You
- Madness - Embarrassment
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?