Wednesday 6 January 2010
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of January people in US were listening to TiK ToK by Ke$ha.
The Book of Eli, directed by The Hughes Brothers, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2010
while Going Rogue: An American Life by Sarah Palin was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 6 January 2010!
Which were the important events of 6 January 2010 ?
- Epiphany (National Holiday) in Italy
- Christianity (except Eastern and Oriental Orthodox who follow the Julian Calendar) - Epiphany of the Lord (a.k.a. "Twelfth Day of Christmas" and Three Kings Day in some areas).
- In the Irish Calendar- Little Christmas or Nollaig na mBan (Women's Christmas) and/or Twelfth Day.
- Twelfth Night, or The Lord of Misrule
- Rastafari movement - Celebration of the ceremonial birthday of Haile Selassie
- Ancient Latvia - Zvaigznes Diena observed
- Armenian Christmas (except in the Holy Land where it's on January 18th - old calendar)
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 06 January
- Heritage Numismatic Auctions sells at public auction a US 1874 Bickford gold $10 pattern for US$1,265,000. The Reed Hawn US 1913 Liberty Head 5-cent coin sells for $3,737,500.
- The Ady Gil, a ship owned by Sea Shepherd, is sunk during a skirmish with the Japanese Whaling Fleet's Shonan Maru.
- Extreme weather across Europe leads to dozens of deaths, including at least 122 in Poland and at least 7 as a result of an avalanche in Switzerland. (BBC)
- At least 25 people are killed and at least three others are trapped in a mine fire in Xiangtan County in Hunan. (''Times of India'')
- Iris Robinson, the wife of Northern Ireland's First Minister, admits having previously attempted suicide. Her husband Peter Robinson gives an emotional interview in which he speaks of being ampquotdeeply hurtampquot after learning of her extramarital affair. (RTÉ)
- Yemen arrests three suspected Al-Qaeda members, including one leader, northwest of the capital Sana'a. (AFP)
- 50-year-old Chinese journalist Li Junqi is imprisoned for 16 years after accepting bribes for his part in a mass three-month cover-up of a coal mine disaster in Hebei in which 35 people, including a rescue worker, were killed prior to the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing. (Press Trust of India)
- The Dauletabad – Salyp Yar gas pipeline between Turkmenistan and Iran is opened. (Channel News Asia)
- Three soldiers are killed and 11 wounded in a bomb attack in Pakistan-administered Kashmir. (Xinhua)
- At least six police officers are killed and another 16 injured in a suicide car bomb attack in Dagestan, southern Russia. (BBC)
- Palestinians kill an Egyptian border guard and 50 people are injured in clashes between pro-Palestinian activists and Egyptian police as a Viva Palestina convoy nears the border with Gaza. (''Jerusalem Post'')
- Japanese Finance Minister Hirohisa Fujii resigns at the age of 77 due to ill health. (Kyodo)
- The U.S. government lowers the threshold for information deemed important enough to put suspicious individuals on a watch list or no-fly list, or have their visa revoked. (CNN)
- China becomes the largest exporting country, pushing Germany from first place. (''The Wall Street Journal'')
- Ex-Cabinet Ministers Geoff Hoon and Patricia Hewitt call for a secret ballot to settle the debate over the leadership of the Labour Party of British Prime Minister Gordon Brown. (BBC)
- China's tourism revenue hits USD 185 billion in 2009. (Xinhua)
- Computer scientist Fabrice Bellard claims he has computed π to almost 2.7 trillion digits. (''The Daily Telegraph'')
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 2010 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 6 January 2010 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?