Tuesday 9 January 1962
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
In that special week of January people in US were listening to The Twist by Chubby Checker.
In UK The Young Ones by Cliff Richard was in the top 5 hits.
The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone, directed by Jos Quintero, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1962
while Ship of Fools by Katherine Anne Porter was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Hollywood Special.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Spacewar!.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 January 1962!
Which were the important events of 9 January 1962 ?
- Balloon Ascension Day
- Philippines - Feast of the Black Nazarene in Quiapo district, Manila.
- 1788 - Ratification Day in Connecticut.
- 1822 - "I Will Stay" Day, when the Portuguese prince Pedro decided to stay in Brazil against the orders of the Portugal king Jopo VI, starting the Brazilian independence process.
- 1964 - Memorial day of Patriotic Panamanians for the Panama Canal (Martyrs' Day/Dia de los Martires).
- Eastern Orthodox - Feast of Saint Theophan the Recluse.
- Roman Catholic - Feast of Saint Adrian
- Stepfather's Day
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 09 January
- LeRoy B Shield: US pianist/composer (Union Pacific Suite), dies at age 68.
- NFL prohibits grabbing of face masks.
- US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
- Mister M (Dr X) beats Verne Gagne in Minnesota, to become NWA champ.
- Cuba and the Soviet Union sign a trade pact.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 9 January 1962
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1962 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Chubby Checker - The Twist
- The Tokens - The Lion Sleeps Tonight
- Joey Dee & the Starliters - Peppermint Twist - Part 1
- Elvis Presley - Can't Help Falling In Love
- Barbara George - I Know (You Don't Love Me No More)
- Neil Sedaka - Happy Birthday, Sweet Sixteen
- Leroy Van Dyke - Walk On By
- Bobby Vee - Run To Him
- Ray Charles - Unchain My Heart
- Connie Francis - When The Boy In Your Arms (Is The Boy In Your Heart)
Top #10 songs in the UK
- Cliff Richard - The Young Ones
- Elvis Presley - Return To Sender
- Mr Acker Bilk - Stranger On The Shore
- Frank Ifield - Lovesick Blues
- Danny Williams - Moon River
- Cliff Richard - The Next Time / Bachelor Boy
- Sandy Nelson - Let There Be Drums
- Neil Sedaka - Happy Birthday Sweet Sixteen
- Duane Eddy - Dance With The Guitar Man
- Billy Fury - I'd Never Find Another You
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?