Monday 9 October 1961
It was Monday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Arlene Boxhall and Jean Sagal in Los Angeles.
In that special week of October people in US were listening to Hit The Road Jack by Ray Charles.
In UK Walking Back To Happiness by Helen Shapiro was in the top 5 hits.
King of Kings, directed by Nicholas Ray, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while The Agony And The Ecstasy by Irving Stone was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Jim Knopf und Lukas der Lokomotivführer.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 October 1961!
Which were the important events of 9 October 1961 ?
- Arlene Boxhall: Zimbabwe -- Field hockey (1980 Olympics - Gold Medalist).
- Jean Sagal in Los Angeles: California, USA; actress (Kate - Double Trouble, Grease 2).
- Liz Sagal: Los Angeles, California -- Actress (Allison-Double Trouble, Grease 2).
- Trevor Matich: NFL center / guard (Washington Redskins).
- Liz Sagal in Los Angeles: California, USA; actress (Allison - Double Trouble, Grease 2).
- Gyula Hajszan: Hungarian footballer
- Marina Carrère d'Encausse: French TV presenter of the national medical program, radiologist and ultrasound, daughter of historian Hélène Carrère d'Encausse.
- Ahmed Otmane: French bandit, nicknamed "Mabrouk" (The Lucky) and "the King of Escape" after several successful escapes in France, Spain and the Netherlands. On the run since December 1993, he remains elusive.
- Wanz : R&B Singer
- Julian Bailey: English race car driver and sportscaster
- Ellen Wheeler: American actress director and producer
- US members of communist party obliged to report themselves to Police
- World Series scoreless pitching streak Yanks beat Reds 4 games to 1
- Yank Whitey Ford breaks Ruth record of 29 2 / 3 consecutive inning
- Volcano eruptions on Tristan de Cunha (South Atlantic).
- Tanganyika becomes independent within the British Commonwealth.
- US Treasury department creates the Office of Domestic Gold and Silver Operations to license gold coins entering the US, and preventing importation of counterfeits.
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Ray Charles - Hit The Road Jack
- Roy Orbison - Crying
- Bobby Vee - Take Good Care Of My Baby
- Dion - Runaround Sue
- The Dovells - Bristol Stomp
- Bobby Darin - You Must Have Been A Beautiful Baby
- Dick and DeeDee - The Mountain's High
- Elvis Presley - Little Sister
- Hayley Mills - Let's Get Together
- Bob Moore - Mexico
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?