Thursday 15 September 1938
It was Thursday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Room Service, directed by William A. Seiter, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1938
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1938.
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 15 September 1938!
Which were the important events of 15 September 1938 ?
- Bulgaria - The first day of school.
- Japan - Respect for the Aged Day before 2003; beginning in 2003, Respect for the Aged Day is held on the third Monday of September.
- The United Kingdom - the British commemorate the Battle of Britain on the day of the last massive Luftwaffe attack in 1940.
- Also see September 15 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics).
- RC Saints - Feast day of Our Lady of Sorrows.
- Independence Day from Spain (1821) for Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua, celebrated everywhere with marches from schoolchildren.
- In ancient Greece, the second day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, when the priests of Demeter declared the public start of the rites.
- In Slovakia - Holyday of the Seven sorrows of Virgin Maria
- Gaylord Perry: baseball player (1972 American League Cy Young winner).
- Rafael H Osuna: Tennis champ (US Open - 1963).
- Thomas Wolfe: American playwright and novelist who wrote "Look Homeward, Angel," 1929, "The Web and The Rock," 1939 and "You Can't Go Home Again," 1940.
- John Cobb sets world auto speed record at 350.2 MPH (lasts one day).
- Only time brothers hit back-to-back home runs (Lloyd and Paul Waner, Pittsburgh Pirates).
- British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain meets with Adolf Hitler in the Berghof in Germany. Chamberlain agrees to Hitler's demand to annex the Sudetenland.
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?