Thursday 16 October 1969
It was Thursday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Darren McKenzie-Potter and Doug Hocking.
In that special week of October people in US were listening to I Can't Get Next To You by The Temptations.
In UK I'll Never Fall In Love Again by Bobbie Gentry was in the top 5 hits.
Marlowe, directed by Paul Bogart, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1969
while The Love Machine by Jacqueline Susann was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Strange Paradise.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Space Travel.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1969.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 October 1969!
Which were the important events of 16 October 1969 ?
- Darren McKenzie-Potter: Auckland, New Zealand -- Cyclist (1996 Olympics).
- Doug Hocking: CFL linebacker (Winnipeg Blue Bombers).
- Gregory Metcalf: Ellensburg, Washington -- 3k steeplechase.
- Spencer McLennan: CFL safety (Montreal Alouettes).
- Terri J Vaughn: American actress.
- Wendy Wilson: American noted family, one of Brian and Marilyn Wilson's two daughters. In 1989 she played in the band "Wilson Phillips" with sister Carrie and singer Chynna Phillips. The band received three Grammy nominations in 1991 and released an album entitled "Shadows And Light," in 1992, which sold 1.4 million copies; their debut LP sold eight million copies. However, the band was defunct by 1994.
- Roy Hargrove: American trumpet player and composer
- Takao Omori: Japanese professional wrestler
- Terri Vaughn: American actress and producer
- 100-1 shot New York Mets beat Orioles 5-3 and win 66th World Series in 5
- Met Cleon Jones awarded 1st base when shoe polish on ball proves he is hit by a pitch, he scores on a HR in World Series
- Willard S. Boyle and George Smith invent the CCD at Bell Laboratories (30 years later, this technology is widely used in digital cameras).
- Fourteen black athletes are kicked off the University of Wyoming football team for wearing black armbands into their coach's office.
- Willy Brandt becomes Chancellor of West Germany.
- General Siad Barre comes to power in Somalia in a coup, 6 days after the assassination of President Abdirashid Ali Shermarke.
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1969 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Temptations - I Can't Get Next To You
- Sly & the Family Stone - Hot Fun In The Summertime
- The Archies - Sugar, Sugar
- Oliver - Jean
- Bobby Sherman - Little Woman
- Elvis Presley - Suspicious Minds
- Marvin Gaye - That's The Way Love Is
- The 5th Dimension - Wedding Bell Blues
- Three Dog Night - Easy To Be Hard
- The Cuff Links - Tracy
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?