Friday 16 September 1988
It was Friday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Ronald Reagan (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Teddy Geiger and Sarah Steele.
In that special week of September people in US were listening to Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns N' Roses.
In UK Groovy Kind Of Love by Phil Collins was in the top 5 hits.
Dead Ringers, directed by David Cronenberg, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1988
while The Cardinal Of The Kremlin by Tom Clancy was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Reaching for the Skies.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Heroes of the Lance or HotShot.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 September 1988!
Which were the important events of 16 September 1988 ?
- Mexico - Independence Day (from Spain; proclaimed 1810, recognised 1821, instituted 1825; See Fiestas Patrias)
- Also see September 16 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- RC Saints - Saint Cyprian, Pope Cornelius, Saint Ludmila
- In ancient Greece, the third day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, when the initiates walked to the sea at Phaleron and purified themselves in the water.
- Papua New Guinea - Independence Day (from Australia, 1975)
Famous Birthdays:16 September
- Cin Reds Tom Browning pitches a perfect game, beats Dodgers, 1-0
- Fish leaves rock group Marillion
- Jury awards Valerie Harper $1.6 M in dispute over TV series
- Tom Browning of the Cincinnati Reds pitches a perfect game against the Los Angeles Dodgers, in his 1-0 victory. Over three starts he retires 40 consecutive batters - one shy of a major league record.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 16 September 1988
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1988 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine
- Robert Palmer - Simply Irresistible
- Huey Lewis & The News - Perfect World
- Bobby McFerrin - Don't Worry Be Happy (Edit)
- Taylor Dayne - I'll Always Love You
- Van Halen - When It's Love
- New Edition - If It Isn't Love
- Kenny Loggins - Nobody's Fool
- Def Leppard - Love Bites
- Rick Astley - It Would Take A Strong Strong Man
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?