Thursday 17 March 1938, St. Patrick's Day
It was Thursday, under the sign of Pisces. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Rudolph Nureyev and David Dilks.
Flash Gordon's Trip to Mars, directed by Ford Beebe, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1938
On TV people were watching Byng-Ho!.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 March 1938!
Which were the important events of 17 March 1938 ?
- Ancient Rome - the second day of the Bacchanalia in honor of Bacchus
- Ancient Rome - the Liberalia in honor of Liber
- St. Agricola
- St. Joseph of Arimathea
- Feast day of St Patrick: a public holiday in Ireland (National feast) and Montserrat, widely celebrated in North America and worldwide (see St. Patrick's Day)
- Ancient Latvia - Kustonu Diena (return of the larks) observed
- Boston, Massachusetts - Evacuation Day
- Rudolph Nureyev: Russian ballet dancer who had an outstanding technique and a compelling stage presence.
- David Dilks: English historian and academic.
- Rudolf Nureyev: Russian-French dancer and choreographer (d. 1993).
- Keith O'Brien: Irish-Scottish cardinal.
- Izold Pustõlnik: Estonian astronomer and academic (d. 2008).
- Zola Taylor: American singer (The Platters) (d. 2007)
- Poland presents an ultimatum to Lithuania, to establish normal diplomatic relations that were severed over the Vilnius Region.
- Mexico nationalizes all foreign-owned oil properties within its borders.
- General Werner von Fritsch is acquitted of charges of homosexuality at his court-martial.
- Édouard Daladier becomes prime minister of France. He appoints as Foreign Minister a leading advocate of the policy of appeasement, Georges Bonnet, effectively negating Blum's reassurances of March 14.
- In a result that astonished even Hitler, the Austrian electorate in a national referendum approved Anschluss by an overwhelming 99.73%.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?