Friday 17 March 1939, St. Patrick's Day
It was Friday, under the sign of Pisces. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Midnight, directed by Mitchell Leisen, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1939.
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 March 1939!
Which were the important events of 17 March 1939 ?
- Ancient Rome - the second day of the Bacchanalia in honor of Bacchus
- Ancient Rome - the Liberalia in honor of Liber
- St. Agricola
- St. Joseph of Arimathea
- Feast day of St Patrick: a public holiday in Ireland (National feast) and Montserrat, widely celebrated in North America and worldwide (see St. Patrick's Day)
- Ancient Latvia - Kustonu Diena (return of the larks) observed
- Boston, Massachusetts - Evacuation Day
- Tom Gompf: American swimmer, Olympic bronze medal champion diver.
- Robin Knox-Johnston: British adventurer, the first person known to sail solo around the world.
- Giovanni Trapattoni: Italian soccer player in the Italian National Team who later became a coach, winning the Italian Title with his team in May 1986.
- Paul Sauvage: France sport Champion.
- Jim Gary: American sculptor (d. 2006).
- Bill Graham: Canadian academic and politician 4th Canadian Minister of Foreign Affairs
- Second Sino-Japanese War: Battle of Nanchang between the Kuomintang and Japan begins,
- British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain gives a speech in Birmingham, stating that Britain will oppose any effort at world domination on the part of Germany.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?