Sunday 20 July 1969
It was Sunday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican). In that special week of July people in US were listening to In The Year 2525 (Exordium & Terminus) by Zager & Evans.
In UK Something In The Air by Thunderclap Newman was in the top 5 hits.
Spirits of the Dead, directed by Federico Fellini, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1969
while The Love Machine by Jacqueline Susann was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1969.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 20 July 1969!
Which were the important events of 20 July 1969 ?
- St. Jerome Aemiliani
- St. Rufina
- St. Flavian
- St. Justa
- St. Margaret of Antioch
- St. Sabinus
- St. Joseph of Barsabas
- Brazil - Friendship Day
- St. Ceslas
- Argentina - Dfa del Amigo (Friendship Day)
- Japan - Marine Day (Umi-no-hi, currently it falls on the third Monday in July.)
- Northern Cyprus - Peace and Freedom Day
- Colombia - Independence Day
- Feast day for at least seventeen saints in the Roman Catholic Church: Saint Aurelius
- St. Wulmar/Ulmar
- St. Severa1
- St. Barhadbesciabas
- St. Severa2
- St. Wilgefortis
- International chess day
- Josh Holloway: American actor.
- Kreso Kovacec: Croatian-German footballer.
- Giovanni Lombardi: Italian cyclist.
- Tobi Vail: American singer and guitarist (Bikini Kill The Go Team The Frumpies Some Velvet Sidewalk and The Old Haunts).
- Vitamin C: American singer.
- Roy Hamilton: American singer (Born 1929).
- 1st men on Moon, Neil Armstrong and Edwin Aldrin, Apollo 11
- Carol Mann wins LPGA Danbury Lady Carling Golf Open
- Eddy Merckx wins Tour de France
- Astronauts on the Moon hand-cancel a "moon letter" bearing a die proof of a stamp for later release, with a die cancel "Moon Landing USA JUL 20 1969".
- At 10:56 p.m. EDT, American astronaut Neil Armstrong, 240,000 miles from Earth, speaks these words to more than a billion people listening at home: "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind." Stepping off the lunar landing module Eagle, Armstrong became the first human to walk on the surface of the moon. Edwin Aldrin joins him 11:11 p.m., and the two take photographs, plant a U.S. flag, run scientific tests, and leave a plaque that reads: "Here men from the planet Earth first
- Apollo Program: Apollo 11 successfully lands on the Moon at 20:17 UTC on July 20.
- A cease fire is announced between Honduras and El Salvador, 6 days after the beginning of the ''Football War''
- The Soviet Union returns Gerald Brooke to the United Kingdom in exchange for spies Peter and Helen Kroger (Morris and Lona Cohen).
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 1969 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Zager & Evans - In The Year 2525 (Exordium & Terminus)
- Blood, Sweat & Tears - Spinning Wheel
- Oliver - Good Morning Starshine
- Tommy James and the Shondells - Crystal Blue Persuasion
- Jr. Walker & the All Stars - What Does It Take (To Win Your Love)
- Three Dog Night - One
- The Winstons - Color Him Father
- The Beatles - The Ballad Of John And Yoko
- Stevie Wonder - My Cherie Amour
- Henry Mancini, His Orchestra And Chorus - Love Theme From Romeo & Juliet
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?