Thursday 23 April 1953
It was Thursday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include James Russo in New York City and Fred Upton.
In UK She Wears Red Feathers by Guy Mitchell was in the top 5 hits.
Shane, directed by George Stevens, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1953
while The Silver Chalice by Thomas B. Costain was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Coke Time.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 April 1953!
Which were the important events of 23 April 1953 ?
- Saint Gerard (d.1138)
- UNESCO International Day of the Book in honor of Shakespeare's and Cervantes's death on April 23, 1616.
- Turkey - National Sovereignty and Children's Day (1920)
- Israel - Yom Ha'atzma'ut (Israeli Independence Day) for 2007: (the observed date of this national holiday is determined by the Jewish Calendar).
- Independence Day for the Conch Republic
- National Beer Day in Germany
- Feast Day of Saint George: Patron saint and National Day of England
- Patron saint of the Spanish region of Arag=n
- Celebrated as St. Jordi's Day in Catalonia, presents of books and roses. See above.
- Catalonia - Lover's Day. Men receive a book as a gift from their romantic interest, while women receive roses. The book is in honor of Shakespeare's and Cervantes's death on April 23, 1616.
- Saint Adalbert of Prague
- Jurgi festival, in ancient Latvia
- James Russo in New York City: New York, USA; actor (My Own Private Idaho, China Girl).
- Fred Upton: American politician (Representative-Republican-Michigan).
- James Russo: American actor director producer and screenwriter.
- KTAR (now KPNX) TV channel 12 in Phoenix, AZ (NBC) begins broadcasting
- WCOV TV channel 20 in Montgomery, AL (IND / CBS) begins broadcasting
- General Charles P Cabell, US Air Force, becomes deputy director of US Central Intelligence Agency.
Which were the top hits in that special week of April 1953 ?
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?