Sunday 23 August 1970
It was Sunday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Make It With You by Bread.
In UK The Wonder Of You by Elvis Presley was in the top 5 hits.
Lovers and Other Strangers, directed by Cy Howard, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1970
while The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 August 1970!
Which were the important events of 23 August 1970 ?
- Astrology - Last day of sun sign Leo in the tropical zodiac
- Swaziland - Umhlanga Day
- Romania - Liberation Day (1944)
- RC Saints - Saint Rose of Lima
- Roman festivals - Vulcanalia
- Sway Calloway: Rapper.
- River Phoenix in Madras: Oregon, USA; actor (Little Nikta, Stand By Me).
- Andrew Henry: CFL safety (Saskatchewan Roughriders).
- Fabian Wilnis: Dutch soccer player (NAC, De Graafschap).
- LaMark Carter: Shreveport, Louisiana -- Triple jumper.
- River Phoenix: American actor who had an impressive resume of films by the time he reached his 20s.
- ''KK'' Krishnakumar Kunnath: Indian singer
- KK : Indian singer-songwriter
- Lawrence Frank: American basketball player and coach
- Jason Hetherington: Australian rugby player
- Brad Mehldau: American pianist and composer
- Lee Sung-jae: South Korean actor
- Jay Mohr: American actor, stand up comedian, and radio host. He is known for his role as Professor Rick Payne in the TV series Ghost Whisperer, the title role in the CBS sitcom Gary Unmarried, which ran from 2008 to 2010, as a featured player for two seasons on the long running sketch comedy show Saturday Night Live, and the back-stabbing sports agent Bob Sugar in Jerry Maguire. As of January 2, 2013, Mohr is the host of Jay Mohr Sports, a daily midday sports radio talk show on Fox Sports Radio.
- Nel Rose: Dancer, dies at 55.
- Kathy Ahern wins LPGA Southgate Ladies Golf Open
- Roberto Clemente compiles his record 2nd straight 5-hit game
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1970 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Carpenters - (They Long To Be) Close To You
- Edwin Starr - War
- Bread - Make It With You
- Stevie Wonder - Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I'm Yours)
- Freda Payne - Band Of Gold
- Eric Burdon and War - Spill The Wine
- Mungo Jerry - In The Summertime
- Clarence Carter - Patches
- Alive and Kicking - Tighter, Tighter
- B.J. Thomas - I Just Can't Help Believing
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 23 August 1970 and get them!