Sunday 16 August 1970
It was Sunday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican). In that special week of August people in US were listening to (They Long To Be) Close To You by Carpenters.
In UK The Wonder Of You by Elvis Presley was in the top 5 hits.
Lovers and Other Strangers, directed by Cy Howard, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1970
while The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1970.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 1970!
Which were the important events of 16 August 1970 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- Saif Khan: Movie Actor.
- Bonnie Bernstein: American journalist and sportscaster.
- Adrian Hardy: NFL cornerback (Cin Bengals).
- Dena Head: WNBA guard (Utah Starzz).
- Eric Swann: NFL defensive tackle (Arizona Cardinals).
- Lester Smith: CFL safety (Toronto Argonauts)
- Quinton McCracken: Wilmington, North Carolina -- Outfielder (Colorado Rockies)
- Wilco Hellinga: Soccer player (SC Heerenveen)
- Killah Priest: American rapper
- Fabio Casartelli: Italian athlete, an Olympic Gold Medal champion cyclist who won the road race at Barcelona in 1992.
- Manisha Koirala: Nepalese Bollywood actress
- Saif Ali Khan: Indian actor
- 52nd PGA Championship: Dave Stockton shoots 279 at Southern Hills, Oklahoma
- Betsy Rawls wins LPGA Cincinnati Golf Open
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1970 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Carpenters - (They Long To Be) Close To You
- Bread - Make It With You
- Stevie Wonder - Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I'm Yours)
- Eric Burdon and War - Spill The Wine
- Mungo Jerry - In The Summertime
- Edwin Starr - War
- Freda Payne - Band Of Gold
- Three Dog Night - Mama Told Me (Not To Come)
- Alive and Kicking - Tighter, Tighter
- The Temptations - Ball Of Confusion (That's What The World Is Today)
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?