Wednesday 25 May 2011
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of May people in US were listening to Rolling In The Deep by Adele.
X-Men: First Class, directed by Matthew Vaughn, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2011.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 25 May 2011!
Which were the important events of 25 May 2011 ?
- Ancient Latvia - Urbanas Diena observed
- Saint Reinolf
- Saint Marie-Madeleine-Sofie Barat (died 1865)
- Virginia - Confederate Memorial Day (1868)
- Argentina - Day of May Revolution/National Day (1810)
- Towel Day, in memory of Douglas Adams, is observed in ?
- The Ascension, one of the great feasts in the Christian liturgical calendar
- Saint Bede the Venerable (died 735)
- Saint Frederic
- Saint Augustine of Canterbury
- Saint Bruno of Wnrzburg
- The former Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia - Day of Youth
- Saint Hildebert
- Chad, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Namibia, Zambia and Zimbabwe - African Liberation Day
- Officially declared Carrie Underwood Day in Oklahoma for her winning American Idol
- Jordan - National Day/Arab Renaissance Day (1946)
- Africa Day commemorating the 1963 fouding of he AU's precursor, OAU
- United States - Memorial Day/Decoration Day, a legal holiday (1868)
- Lebanon, Liberation Day (1999)
- Saint Pope Gregory VII (died 1085)
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 25 May
- A Pakistani Taliban suicide bomber attacks a police station in Peshawar, killing at least seven people. (CNN)
- Violent clashes occur between tribesmen and government officials in Sana'a, Yemen. (CNN)
- South African President Jacob Zuma will visit Libya for talks with Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi, in renewed efforts by the African Union to broker a cease-fire in the 2011 Libyan civil war. (CNN)
- Police in the eastern European state of Georgia use teargas to disperse a protest in central Tbilisi. (Al-Jazeera)
- Veteran talk show host Oprah Winfrey presents her final ''Oprah Winfrey Show'', after 25 years on air. (BBC)
- U.S. author Jeffery Deaver unveils his James Bond novel, ''Carte Blanche''. (BBC)
- Scotty McCreery becomes the tenth season winner of ''American Idol''.
- An influential investor and stock trader, David Einhorn, demands the resignation of Steve Ballmer, the CEO of software giant Microsoft, speaking at the Ira W. Sohn Investment Research Conference. (Reuters)
- Grímsvötn eruption:
- Germany shuts down part of its airspace as volcanic ash from the eruption of Iceland's Grímsvötn reaches northern Europe. (VOA)
- Flights are also cancelled in the United Kingdom and Scandinavia. (Sky News)
- Powerful storms and tornadoes continue across the Central United States, claiming at least 10 more lives across Arkansas, Kansas and Oklahoma. (CNN)
- Two of the reactors damaged in the March earthquake and tsunami at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant in Japan may be riddled with holes, according to the facility's owner, Tokyo Electric Power Co. (CNN)
- At least 12 people die after an air ambulance crashes in Faridabad, India. (''Times of India'')
- Barack Obama, the President of the United States, addresses the Parliament of the United Kingdom. (''Los Angeles Times'')
- Christine Lagarde, the French Minister for Finance, announces her candidacy to be head of the International Monetary Fund. (CNN)
- Palestinian officials dismiss Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu's speech to the US Congress, saying it will not lead to peace. (''The Jerusalem Post'')
- North Korean leader Kim Jong-il arrives in Beijing for a meeting with the President of the People's Republic of China, Hu Jintao. (Yonhap)
- Jared Lee Loughner, accused of murder in the 2011 Tucson shootings, is found to be incompetent to face a trial because of mental health issues. (ABC Australia)
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?