Tuesday 10 May 2011
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of May people in US were listening to E.T. by Katy Perry.
Thor, directed by Kenneth Branagh, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 10 May 2011!
Which were the important events of 10 May 2011 ?
- Saint Gordianus
- Saint Isidore the Laborer
- Saint John of Avila
- Saint Job
- Saint Quaratus and Quintus
- Saint Peter Van
- Saint William of Pontoise
- Buddha's Birthday in Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, and South Korea.
- Saint Francis of Assisi
- Saint Solange
- The first possible day on which Pentecost may fall.
- Akshaya Tritya in Hinduism.
- Astronomy Day in the United States.
- Birds' and Trees' Day in Hungary
- Memorial Day of Blessed Damien of Moloka'i
- Celebration of the Clandestine Retreat of Ma'at and Ra in Ancient Egypt.
- Constitution Day in the Federated States of Micronesia.
- Inauguration Day in South Africa.
- Mania (mythology) in Ancient Rome.
- The marriage of Shiva to Meenakshi in Madurai, India
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 10 May
- Michael Baze: American horse racing jockey (Born 1987).
- 2011 Syrian uprising:
- The European Union imposes sanctions on 13 Syrian officials in response to a violent crackdown on protests in the country. (Al Jazeera)
- The Syrian Army releases 300 people in the city of Banias. (Reuters)
- Opposition forces in Libya make gains amid NATO bombing, reportedly operating out of the capital Tripoli. (DPA via MC)
- More than 80 people are killed after rebels attack a cattle camp in South Sudan. (Reuters)
- CNN reports that the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) will show the photos of the dead body of Osama bin Laden to members of the United States Congress military and intelligence committees. (''USA Today'')
- Four United Nations peacekeepers are shot while on patrol in the disputed Abyei district of Sudan. (United Nations)
- Former Governor of California and actor Arnold Schwarzenegger and journalist Maria Shriver announce their separation after 25 years of marriage. (''Washington Post'')
- The Middleton family make a complaint to the Press Complaints Commission after pictures of Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge and her sister Pippa Middleton in beachwear appear in four newspapers. (BBC)
- The Victorian iron gates of a children's home which inspired John Lennon to write the Beatles hit ''Strawberry Fields Forever'' have been removed by the property's owners and placed in storage. (BBC)
- Immigration papers documenting Albert Einstein's 1933 escape from Nazi Germany and his arrival at Dover, England, are to go on display for the first time, at Liverpool's Merseyside Maritime Museum. (BBC)
- The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) votes to approve openly gay and lesbian people in same sex relationships to be ordained. (''New York Times'')
- Ivory Coast resumes exports of cocoa after a political crisis and brief civil war. (AFP via Google News)
- Wayne Swan, the Treasurer of Australia, will deliver his fourth budget. (''The Australian'')
- Google launches Google Music, an application that will enable users to upload their music libraries to company servers. (CNet)
- Microsoft announces that it is purchasing Internet phone service Skype for US$8.5 billion. (All Things Digital)
- Chineseexports for April reach a record level, attaining a total monthly value of US$155.69 billion. (''New York Times'')
- Tropical Storm Bebeng kills at least 20 people in the Philippines. (''The Philippine Star'')
- 2011 Mississippi River floods:
- Mississippi River flooding worsens, with the Army Corps of Engineers saying an area between Simmesport, Louisiana and Baton Rouge will be submerged 20-30 feet, and 13% of US oil refinery output disrupted. ''(Business Week)''
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 2011 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?