Wednesday 1 December 1948
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include George Foster (baseball) and Tom Wright.
Yellow Sky, directed by William A. Wellman, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1948
while The Naked and the Dead by Norman Mailer was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Talent Scouts.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 December 1948!
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 1 December 1948 ?
- Ancient Latvia - Barbes Diena observed
- Feast day of St Eligius
- Romania - Union Day (the national holiday)
- Angola's Pioneers' Day
- World AIDS Day
- Portugal - Restoration of Independence Day: on December 1, 1640, Portugal regains its independence from Spain and Jopo IV of Portugal becomes king.
- George Foster (baseball)
- Tom Wright: English bishop and theologian.
- George Foster: American baseball player and radio host.
- Sarfraz Nawaz: Pakistani cricketer and politician.
- John Roskelley: American mountaineer and author.
- Neil Warnock: English footballer and manager.
- N Wright: English bishop and scholar.
- Patrick Yakowa: Nigerian civil servant and politician Governor of Kaduna State (d. 2012).
- Piet Roozenburg becomes world champion checker player.
- Arabic Congress names Abdullah of Trans Jordan, King of Palestine.
- José Figueres Ferrer abolishes the army in Costa Rica, making it the first country in history to do so
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1948 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- On a Slow Boat to China - Eddy Howard & His Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?