Thursday 23 December 1948
It was Thursday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Leslie Moonves and Hubert Brin.
Wake of the Red Witch, directed by Edward Ludwig, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1948
while Tomorrow Will Be Better by Betty Smith was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Perry Como's Kraft Music Hall.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 December 1948!
Which were the important events of 23 December 1948 ?
- Festivus (from sitcom Seinfeld)
- Oaxaca - Night of the Radishes
- Secular humanism (American) - HumanLight observed
- R.C. Saints - John Cantius ; Thorlac Thorhallsson, patron saint of Iceland
- Sweden - Birthday of Queen Silvia, an official flag day
- Japan - The Emperor's Birthday - Birthday of Akihito, the current Emperor of Japan
- Roman festivals - Larentalia, a festival in honor of Larenta
- Ancient Latvia - Ziemassvetki held
- Leslie Moonves: American television executive.
- Hubert Brin: French president of 'L’Union nationale des associations familiales' (UNAF), a national family institution.
- Carlos Garcia Escobar: Guatemalan anthropologist and writer, has dedicated his life to the study of traditional dances.
- David Davis: English politician Minister of State for Europe.
- Jim Ferguson: American guitarist, composer, educator, author, and music journalist.
- Jack Ham: American football player and sportscaster
- Charles Herbert: American actor (d. 2015)
- Rick Wohlhuter: American runner
- Hideki Tojo: Prime Minister of Japan (1941-44) and 6 Japanese, hanged for war crimes at 64.
- Seven Japanese convicted of war crimes by the International Military Tribunal for the Far East are executed at Sugamo Prison in Tokyo.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?