1948 saw a world weary from war. Only a few years removed from the Second World War, there was no rest for the weary to be found. The great task of rebuilding and adjusting to a new geopolitical environment was now at hand.
This began with the Marshall Plan of the United States. Authorizing billions of dollars in aid to over a dozen countries, the aim of this program was to help facilitate the recovery process for countries that were devastated by the war. At the same time, the world was now in a geopolitical bipolar environment. There were now only two great powers – the United States and the Soviet Union. Having witnessed the spread of communism, the United States did not wish to see Western Europe slip into the communist, Soviet orbit of influence. The idea was that if the United States gives a significant amount of economic aid to her Western allies, those countries would be less likely to collapse and spark a communist uprising.
The end of World War II also brought with it another step toward the dissolution of European empires and colonialism in general. With that, there was a very significant development this year in the Middle East that, in part, occurred because of the lessening grip of European rule in the region. In May of 1948, Israel declared independence, and this sparked the 1948 Arab-Israeli War. During this conflict, the countries of Egypt, Transjordan, Syria, and Iraq sent military forces against Israel. When this occurred, formal British control over the region was truly finished.
In yet another event that helped bring some closure to the Second World War, in November of this year, an international war crimes tribunal sentenced seven Japanese government and military officials to death for their role in war crimes committed during World War II by the Japanese Empire.
All Academy Awards Prize winners of the 21st edition of the Oscar ceremony
Best supporting actress
Time Person of the Year
Who was the person of the year of 1948?
All Nobel Prize winners of 1948
- T. S. Eliot
- Patrick Blackett
- Arne Tiselius
Physiology or Medicine
- Paul Hermann Müller
Which were the top hits of 1948?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Pee Wee Hunt Orch - Twelfth Street Rag
- Kay Kyser & His Orchestra - Woody Woodpecker
- Margaret Whiting - A Tree In The Meadow
- Doris Day & Buddy Clark - Love Somebody
- Bing Crosby - Now Is The Hour
- Kay Kyser & His Orchestra - On a Slow Boat to China
- Ken Griffin - You Can't Be True, Dear
- Dick Haymes - Little White Lies
- Doris Day - It's Magic
- Dinah Shore - Buttons and Bows
Which were the most popular Movies released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Which were the important events of 1948?
- 01 Jan 1948 Britain nationalizes its railways.
- 02 Jan 1948 WNDT (now WNET) TV channel 13 in New York-Newark, New York (PBS) begins
- 04 Jan 1948 Burma declares independence from the UK
- 07 Jan 1948 US President Harry Truman raises taxes for Marshall plan.
- 10 Jan 1948 Call Me Mister play closes at National Theater in New York City, New York after 734 performances.
- 12 Jan 1948 1st Supermarket in the UK opens
- 13 Jan 1948 1st country music TV show, Midwestern Hayride, premieres on WLW Cin
- 16 Jan 1948 35 Haganah members are ambushed and killed in Gush Etzyon.
- 17 Jan 1948 Trial of 11 US Communist party members begins in New York City
- 21 Jan 1948 West Indies versus England, Test debut Walcott, Weekes and Jim Laker.
- 22 Jan 1948 British foreign secretary Bevin proposes the formation of a Western Union between Britain, France and the Benelux countries to stand up against the Soviet Union. The Treaty of Brussels is signed March 17 as a consequence, a predecessor to NATO.
- 23 Jan 1948 Test debut of Neil Harvey, versus India at Adelaide.
- 24 Jan 1948 Music in My Heart closes at Adelphi Theater NYC after 124 performances
- 26 Jan 1948 Executive Order 9981, end segregation in US Armed Forces signed
- 27 Jan 1948 1st tape recorder sold
- 29 Jan 1948 Commissioner Happy Chandler fines the New York Yankees, Chicago Cubs, and Philadelphia Phillies US$500 each for signing high school players.
- 30 Jan 1948 5th Winter Olympic games open in St. Moritz, Switzerland
- 31 Jan 1948 Magnetic tape recorder developed by Wireway.
- 01 Feb 1948 Palestine Post building in Jerusalem is bombed.
- 02 Feb 1948 US President Harry Truman urges congress to adopt a civil rights program.
- 03 Feb 1948 Dick Button becomes first world figure skating champion from US.
- 04 Feb 1948 Sri Lanka (formerly Ceylon) declares independence from the UK
- 05 Feb 1948 Nature of Things science show premieres on NBC prime time
- 06 Feb 1948 KNXT (now KCBS) TV channel 2 in Los Angeles, CA (CBS) 1st broadcast
- 07 Feb 1948 Cradle Will Rock closes at Mansfield Theater NYC after 34 performances
- 08 Feb 1948 5th Winter Olympic games close at St. Moritz, Switzerland
- 09 Feb 1948 WLWT TV channel 5 in Cincinnati, OH (NBC) begins broadcasting
- 12 Feb 1948 1st Lt Nancy Leftenant becomes 1st black in army nursing corps
- 13 Feb 1948 Wright Flyer, 1st plane to fly, returns to US from England
- 16 Feb 1948 Miranda, famous moon of Uranus, photographed for first time.
- 21 Feb 1948 NASCAR is incorporated.
- 22 Feb 1948 Arabs bomb attack in Jerusalem, 50 die.
- 24 Feb 1948 Communist Party seizes complete control of Czechoslovakia
- 25 Feb 1948 Communists seize Czechoslovakia; C Gottwald becomes premier.
- 29 Feb 1948 Stern-group bomb Cairo-Haifa train, 27 British soldiers killed.
- 05 Mar 1948 Actor Eli Wallach marries actress Anne Jackson
- 08 Mar 1948 US Supreme Court rules relgious instruction in public schools is unconstitutional.
- 09 Mar 1948 Provisionary Indonesian government installed in Batavia.
- 10 Mar 1948 First civilian to exceed speed of sound - Herb H Hoover, Edwards Air Force Base California.
- 11 Mar 1948 1st black in the US Tennis Open (Reginald Weir)
- 14 Mar 1948 Freedom Train arrives in San Francisco
- 15 Mar 1948 Sir Laurence Olivier on the cover of LIFE magazine
- 16 Mar 1948 The largest flood in the history of Brampton, Ontario, occurs.
- 17 Mar 1948 Benelux, France, and the United Kingdom sign the Treaty of Brussels, a precursor to the North Atlantic Treaty establishing NATO.
- 18 Mar 1948 France and Great Britain and Benelux sign Treaty of Brussels
- 19 Mar 1948 Lee Savold knocks out Gino Buonvino in 54 seconds at Madison Square Garden, New York City, New York.
- 20 Mar 1948 1st live televised musical Eugene Ormandy on CBS followed in 90
- 21 Mar 1948 Stop the Music with Bert Parks premieres on ABC radio
- 25 Mar 1948 The first successful tornado forecast predicts that a tornado will strike Tinker Air Force Base, Oklahoma.
- 27 Mar 1948 The Second Congress of the Workers Party of North Korea is convened.
- 28 Mar 1948 Second Tony Awards: Mister Roberts win.
- 29 Mar 1948 Drachtster Boys soccer team forms in Drachten
- 31 Mar 1948 US Congress passes Marshall Aid Act to rehabilitate war-torn Europe.
- 01 Apr 1948 Faroe Islands receive autonomy from Denmark.
- 03 Apr 1948 US President Harry Truman signs Marshall Plan (US$5 billion aid to 16 European countries).
- 04 Apr 1948 84-year-old Connie Mack challenges 78-year-old Clark Griffith to a race from home to first base; it ends in a tie.
- 05 Apr 1948 WGN TV channel 9 in Chicago, IL (IND) begins broadcasting
- 07 Apr 1948 The World Health Organization is established by the United Nations.
- 08 Apr 1948 Soen Nakagawa and Nyogen Senzaki (Zen teachers) meet in San Francisco
- 09 Apr 1948 Jorge Eliecer Gaitan's assassination provokes a violent riot in Bogota (the Bogotazo), and a further ten years of violence in Colombia known as La violencia.
- 10 Apr 1948 Jewish Hagana repels an Arab attack on Mishmar HaEmek.
- 11 Apr 1948 12th Golf Masters Championship: Claude Harmon wins, shooting a 279.
- 13 Apr 1948 75 scientists ambushed on way to Mount Scopus.
- 14 Apr 1948 New York City subway fares jump from 5 cents to 10 cents
- 15 Apr 1948 KCPX (now KTVX) TV channel 4 in Salt Lake City, UT (ABC) 1st broadcast
- 16 Apr 1948 Organization for European Economic Cooperation (EEC) forms in Paris, France.
- 18 Apr 1948 International Court of Justice opens at The Hague, Netherlands.
- 19 Apr 1948 ABC-TV network begins in the US.
- 20 Apr 1948 New York City hikes subway fare from 5 cents to 10 cents
- 21 Apr 1948 1st Polaroid camera was sold in US
- 22 Apr 1948 WTVR TV channel 6 in Richmond, VA (CBS) begins broadcasting
- 23 Apr 1948 KSTP TV channel 5 in St. Paul-Minneapolis, MN (ABC) 1st broadcast
- 24 Apr 1948 The Costa Rican Civil War ends.
- 26 Apr 1948 The XP-86 prototype for the US Sabre Jet first "officially" breaks the sound barrier.
- 27 Apr 1948 Arab legion attacks Gesher bridge on Jordan River.
- 29 Apr 1948 Bradman scores 107 Aust vs. Worcs, 152 mins, 15 fours
- 30 Apr 1948 Inside USA opens at Century Theater NYC for 339 performances
- 01 May 1948 Pope Pius XII publishes encyclical Auspicia quaedam
- 03 May 1948 Pulitzer prize awarded to James Michener and Tennessee Williams.
- 04 May 1948 The Hague Court of Justice convicts Hans Rauter (German SS) and sentenced him to the death penalty.
- 05 May 1948 1st air squadron of jets aboard a carrier
- 07 May 1948 Nazi collaborator V-Mann Antonius van de Waals sentenced to death.
- 10 May 1948 Winston Churchill visits The Hague
- 11 May 1948 Haganah takes control of Safed and port of Haifa.
- 12 May 1948 Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands resigns.
- 13 May 1948 1948 Arab-Israeli War: the Kfar Etzion massacre is committed by Arab irregulars, the day before the declaration of independence of the state of Israel on May 14.
- 14 May 1948 US grants Israel de facto recognition
- 15 May 1948 74th Preakness: Eddie Arcaro aboard Citation wins in 2:02.4.
- 16 May 1948 George Polk, CBS news correspondant, body found
- 17 May 1948 Soviet Union recognizes Israel.
- 18 May 1948 Ballet Ballads opens at Music Box Theater NYC for 62 performances
- 20 May 1948 Cleveland Indians tie American League record of 18 walks (beat Boston Red Sox 13-4).
- 21 May 1948 New York Yankees' Joe Dimaggio hits for the cycle (single, double, triple, homerun).
- 22 May 1948 The Soviets launched the largest Lithuanian deportation to Siberia.
- 23 May 1948 Joe DiMaggio hits three consecutive homeruns.
- 24 May 1948 Arab : Israeli War: Egypt finally captures the Israeli kibbutz of Yad Mordechai, but the five-day effort gives Israeli forces time to prepare enough to stop the Egyptian advance a week later.
- 25 May 1948 San Francisco receives its 1st telecast
- 26 May 1948 Entire Hagana-arm forces sworn-in as Israeli soldiers.
- 27 May 1948 Arabs blow up Jewish synagogue Hurvat Rabbi Yehudah he-Hasid.
- 28 May 1948 Daniel Francois Malan defeats Jan Smuts and becomes Prime Minister of South Africa, ushering in the era of apartheid, which is finally dismantled by F W de Klerk in 1994.
- 30 May 1948 Schenectady Blue Jays Tom Lasorda strikes out 25 in 15-inning game
- 31 May 1948 Tommy Lasorda strikes out 25 Amsterdam Rugmakers (in 15 innings).
- 01 Jun 1948 Israel and Arabs agree to a cease fire
- 03 Jun 1948 Sleepy Hallow opens at St. James Theater NYC for 12 performances
- 05 Jun 1948 Phillies Richie Ashburn sets NL rookie consecut hitting streak at 23
- 07 Jun 1948 Communist complete takeover of Czechoslovakia; President Bernes resigns
- 08 Jun 1948 Sally closes at Martin Beck Theater NYC after 36 performances
- 09 Jun 1948 WBZ TV channel 4 in Boston, MA (NBC) begins broadcasting
- 10 Jun 1948 Hasan Saka forms the new government of Turkey. (17th government Hasan Saka had served twice as a prime minister)
- 11 Jun 1948 The first monkey astronaut, Albert I, is launched into space from White Sands, New Mexico.
- 12 Jun 1948 Hold It! closes at National Theater NYC after 46 performances
- 14 Jun 1948 Klemens Gottwald becomes President of Czechoslovakia
- 15 Jun 1948 1st night game at Briggs Stadium: Detroit Tigers beat Philadelphia Athletics
- 17 Jun 1948 Joe Cronin pinch hit home runs in both ends of a doubleheader.
- 18 Jun 1948 National Security Council authorizes covert operations for first time.
- 19 Jun 1948 Panama and Costa Rica recognize Israel
- 20 Jun 1948 Toast of the Town, later The Ed Sullivan Show, makes its television debut.
- 21 Jun 1948 1st stored computer program run, on Manchester Mark I
- 22 Jun 1948 The ship ''Empire Windrush'' brings a large group of Afro-Caribbean immigrants to Tilbury near London, the start of a large wave of immigration to Britain.
- 24 Jun 1948 Soviet Union begins Berlin Blockade
- 25 Jun 1948 Truman signs Displaced Persons Bill (205,000 Europeans to US)
- 26 Jun 1948 US denounces Soviet blockade of Berlin.
- 28 Jun 1948 US / British airlift to West-Berlin begins
- 30 Jun 1948 Last British armies leave Israel
- 01 Jul 1948 Bradman scores 128 Australia vs. Surrey, 141 mins, 15 fours
- 02 Jul 1948 62nd Wimbledon Mens Tennis: Falkenburg beats Bromwich (75 06 62 36 75)
- 03 Jul 1948 55th Wimbledon Womens Tennis: Louise Brough beats Doris Hart (63 86)
- 05 Jul 1948 National Health Service Acts created the national public health systems in the United Kingdom
- 06 Jul 1948 The world's first Air Car-ferry service is flown by a Bristol Freighter of Silver City Airways from Lympne to Le Touquet.
- 07 Jul 1948 Indians sign Satchel Paige at 42
- 08 Jul 1948 500th anniversary Russian orthodox church celebrated in Moscow
- 09 Jul 1948 Satchel Paige, 42, debuts in majors pitching two scoreless innings for Cleveland Indians.
- 10 Jul 1948 Allegro closes at Majestic Theater NYC after 318 performances
- 11 Jul 1948 1st air bombing of Jerusalem
- 13 Jul 1948 The attempted assassination of Palmiro Togliatti, general secretary of the Italian Communist Party, incites numerous strikes all over the country.
- 14 Jul 1948 Israel bombs Cairo
- 15 Jul 1948 Alcoholic Anonymous founded in Britain
- 16 Jul 1948 Eddie Sawyer replaces Ben Chapman in Philadelphia, New York Giants Leo Durocher replaces Mel Ott and Burt Shotton replaces Durocher as Dodger manager
- 17 Jul 1948 Israeli army captures Nazareth
- 18 Jul 1948 Marinka opens at Winter Garden Theater NYC for 168 performances
- 19 Jul 1948 French government of Schuman, resigns
- 20 Jul 1948 Lou Thesz beats Bill Longson, to become NWA wrestling champ
- 21 Jul 1948 WSPD TV channel 13 in Toledo, OH (NBC) begins broadcasting
- 22 Jul 1948 The Dominion of Newfoundland votes to join Canada after a referendum.
- 23 Jul 1948 Progressive party convention nominates Henry Wallace for President.
- 24 Jul 1948 4 Duluth Minn Dukes (St. Louis Cardinals Class C farm team) die in crash
- 26 Jul 1948 Leo Durocher returns to Ebbets Field as a New York Giant
- 27 Jul 1948 Australia set 404 to win vs. England at Headingley
- 28 Jul 1948 The Metropolitan Police Flying Squad foils a bullion robbery in the ''Battle of London Airport''.
- 29 Jul 1948 King George VI opens 14th modern Olympic games in London
- 30 Jul 1948 Emile Zatopek runs Olympic record (10K - 29:59.6)
- 31 Jul 1948 Brigadoon closes at Ziegfeld Theater NYC after 581 performances
- 01 Aug 1948 The U.S. Air Force Office of Special Investigations is founded.
- 03 Aug 1948 FDR advisor Alger Hiss accused to be a communist
- 04 Aug 1948 Five-day southern filibuster succeeds in maintaining poll tax.
- 05 Aug 1948 Cleveland Indians set club record for most double plays in a game (6)
- 06 Aug 1948 Dreesgovt (KVP / Social Democratics / CHU / Liberal) forms
- 07 Aug 1948 1st Dutch government of Beel resigns
- 08 Aug 1948 Hold It! opens at National Theater NYC for 46 performances
- 10 Aug 1948 WABC TV channel 7 in New York, New York (ABC) begins broadcasting
- 11 Aug 1948 Summer Olympics opens in London
- 12 Aug 1948 Cleveland Indians get 29 hits in a 9 inning game
- 13 Aug 1948 Satchel Paige at age 42 pitches his first major league complete game.
- 14 Aug 1948 14th Olympic games close at London, Great Britain
- 15 Aug 1948 Republic of Korea (South Korea) proclaimed (National Day)
- 16 Aug 1948 Arabs blow up Latrun pumping station in Jerusalem
- 17 Aug 1948 Tom Henrich hits his then record tying 4th grand slam of season
- 18 Aug 1948 The Australian cricket team completed a 4 : 0 Ashes series win over England during their undefeated Invincibles tour.
- 20 Aug 1948 15th NFL Chicago All-Star Game: Chi Cards 28, All-Stars 0 (101,220)
- 21 Aug 1948 Indians 47-inning scoreless streak broken by White Sox Aaron Robinson
- 23 Aug 1948 Earl Bernadotte asks aid for fugitives to Palestine
- 24 Aug 1948 The first meeting of the charter members of the American Chamber of Commerce in Japan (ACCJ) is held.
- 25 Aug 1948 The House Un-American Activities Committee holds first-ever televised congressional hearing: ''Confrontation Day'' between Whittaker Chambers and Alger Hiss.
- 31 Aug 1948 Queen Wilhelmina celebrates 50th jubilee
- 01 Sep 1948 Bradman scores 143 Aust vs. South of England, 17 fours 1 six
- 04 Sep 1948 Angel in the Wings closes at Coronet Theater NYC after 308 performances
- 05 Sep 1948 In France, Robert Schuman becomes President of the Council while being Foreign minister, As such, he is the negotiator of the major treaties of the end of World War II.
- 06 Sep 1948 Mr Strauss Goes to Boston opens at Century Theater NYC for 12 performances
- 07 Sep 1948 First use of synthetic rubber in asphaltic concrete, Akron, Ohio.
- 08 Sep 1948 British De Havilland 08-fighter flies faster than sound
- 09 Sep 1948 Hilarities (of 1949) opens at Adelphi Theater NYC for 14 performances
- 10 Sep 1948 Bijz Criminal division sentences war criminal Jacob Folks to life
- 11 Sep 1948 Quaid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah, Founder and first Governor General of Pakistan, dies. Pakistan is in a state of shock as it mourns the departure of the father of the nation. The day is a public holiday nation-wide.
- 12 Sep 1948 Invasion of the State of Hyderabad by the Indian Army on the day after the Pakistani leader Jinnah's death.
- 13 Sep 1948 Margaret Chase Smith is elected senator, and becomes the first woman to serve in both the U.S. House of Representatives and the United States Senate.
- 14 Sep 1948 Ground breaking ceremony for UN world headquarters
- 15 Sep 1948 Small Wonder opens at Coronet Theater NYC for 134 performances
- 16 Sep 1948 Heaven on Earth opens at Century Theater NYC for 12 performances
- 17 Sep 1948 KCOP TV channel 13 in Los Angeles / Hollywood, CA (IND) begins
- 18 Sep 1948 Hilarities (of 1949) closes at Adelphi Theater NYC after 14 performances
- 19 Sep 1948 62nd US Womens Tennis: M Osborne duPont beats A L Brough (46 64 15-13)
- 20 Sep 1948 Magdalena opens at Ziegfeld Theater NYC for 48 performances
- 21 Sep 1948 Texaco Star Theater with Milton Berle premieres on NBC-TV
- 23 Sep 1948 Braves clinch NL pennant
- 24 Sep 1948 Yanks, Boston and Cleveland are tied for 1st place in AL (91-56)
- 25 Sep 1948 Heaven on Earth closes at Century Theater NYC after 12 performances
- 26 Sep 1948 Boston Braves win first National League championship since 1914.
- 27 Sep 1948 Carib Song opens at Adelphi Theater NYC for 36 performances
- 28 Sep 1948 WBAP-TV, (NBC affiliate) Fort Worth Texas, begins broadcasting
- 29 Sep 1948 WBAP (now KXAS) TV channel 5 in Fort Worth-Dallas, TX (NBC) begins
- 01 Oct 1948 California Supreme Court voids state statute banning interracial marriages.
- 03 Oct 1948 Columbia University reports discovery of uranium in Belgian Congo
- 04 Oct 1948 Indians beat Red Sox, 8-0, in 1st AL playoff game
- 05 Oct 1948 The 1948 Ashgabat earthquake kills 110,000.
- 06 Oct 1948 Polonaise opens at Alvin Theater NYC for 113 performances
- 09 Oct 1948 WXYZ TV channel 7 in Detroit, MI (ABC) begins broadcasting
- 10 Oct 1948 Then record 86,288 see game 5 of World Series in Cleveland
- 11 Oct 1948 Love Life opens at 46th St. Theater NYC for 252 performances
- 12 Oct 1948 Casey Stengel takes over as New York Yankees' manager.
- 14 Oct 1948 Batavia lt-Governor-General of Mook dismissed
- 16 Oct 1948 Red Mill opens at Ziegfeld Theater NYC for 831 performances
- 18 Oct 1948 Operation 10 Plagues - Israeli offensive against Egyptian army
- 19 Oct 1948 My Romance opens at Shubert Theater NYC for 95 performances
- 21 Oct 1948 Beersheba liberated by Israeli army
- 22 Oct 1948 Egyptian flagship King Farouk sunk by Israel
- 24 Oct 1948 Bernard M Baruch introduces term Cold War
- 25 Oct 1948 Special Council of Annulment convicts F Weinreb for collaboration
- 26 Oct 1948 Killer smog settles into Donora, Pennsylvania.
- 27 Oct 1948 Israel recaptures Nizzanim in the Negev.
- 28 Oct 1948 Flag of Israel is adopted.
- 29 Oct 1948 Israeli forces liberate Meron and Gush-Halev
- 30 Oct 1948 Operation Hiram: Israelis take control of Galilee
- 01 Nov 1948 President Truman re-elected in an upset over Republican Thomas Dewey
- 02 Nov 1948 WJZ TV channel 13 in Baltimore, Maryland (ABC) begins broadcasting
- 03 Nov 1948 2nd NHL All-Star Game: All-Stars beat Toronto 3-1 at Chicago
- 12 Nov 1948 Japanese Premier Hideki Tojo sentenced to death by war crimes tribunal
- 13 Nov 1948 As the Girls Go opens at Winter Garden Theater NYC for 420 performances
- 15 Nov 1948 William Lyon Mackenzie King retires as Prime Minister of Canada.
- 16 Nov 1948 Operation Magic Carpet - 1st plane from Yemen carrying Jews to Israel
- 17 Nov 1948 Mohammad Reza Shah Pahlavi divorces his second wife, the former Princess Fawzia of Egypt.
- 20 Nov 1948 US balloon reaches height of 42.7 km (record)
- 23 Nov 1948 Dr Frank G Back (NYC) patents lens to provide zoom effects
- 24 Nov 1948 Ireland votes for independence from the UK
- 25 Nov 1948 KING TV channel 5 in Seattle, WA (NBC) begins broadcasting
- 27 Nov 1948 36th CFL Grey Cup: Calgary Stampeders defeat Ottawa Rough Riders, 12-7
- 28 Nov 1948 Hopalong Cassidy premieres on TV
- 29 Nov 1948 Kukla, Fran, and Ollie debuted on NBC
- 30 Nov 1948 Player-manager Lou Boudreau is selected AL MVP
- 01 Dec 1948 Piet Roozenburg becomes world champion checker player.
- 02 Dec 1948 Stan Musial is picked National League Most Valuable Player.
- 03 Dec 1948 1st US woman army officer not in medical corps sworn-in
- 04 Dec 1948 Magdalena closes at Ziegfeld Theater NYC after 48 performances
- 05 Dec 1948 New York Giants' Charley Conerly sets NFL record of 36 pass completions.
- 08 Dec 1948 Marinka closes at Winter Garden Theater NYC after 168 performances
- 11 Dec 1948 WHEN (now WTVH) TV channel 5 in Syracuse, New York (CBS) begins broadcasting
- 12 Dec 1948 Malayan Emergency: Batang Kali Massacre : 14 members of the Scots Guards stationed in Malaysia allegedly massacre 24 unarmed civilians and set fire to the village.
- 15 Dec 1948 Former state department official Alger Hiss indicted in New York City for perjury.
- 16 Dec 1948 Lend an Ear opens at National Theater NYC for 460 performances
- 18 Dec 1948 WDSU TV channel 6 in New Orleans, LA (NBC) begins broadcasting
- 19 Dec 1948 8th largest snowfall in NYC history (15.3)
- 20 Dec 1948 Second Chamber accepts second Police Action in Indonesia.
- 21 Dec 1948 State of Eire (formerly Irish Free State) declares its independence.
- 22 Dec 1948 KPIX TV channel 5 in San Francisco, CA (CBS) begins broadcasting
- 23 Dec 1948 Seven Japanese convicted of war crimes by the International Military Tribunal for the Far East are executed at Sugamo Prison in Tokyo.
- 24 Dec 1948 First US house completely sunheated is occupied (Dover, Massachusetts).
- 26 Dec 1948 Hungarian Cardinal Mindszenty arrested
- 28 Dec 1948 IDF crosses Egyptian border
- 29 Dec 1948 Rape of Lucretia opens at Ziegfeld Theater NYC for 23 performances
- 30 Dec 1948 Kiss Me, Kate opens at New Century Theater in New York City for 1077 performances.
- 31 Dec 1948 Dutch police actions up Java gone on strike