Wednesday 4 May 1938
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Tyrone Davis and William J.
Joy of Living, directed by Tay Garnett, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1938
On TV people were watching The Boat Race.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 4 May 1938
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 4 May 1938 ?
- Star Wars day, "May the 4th be with you" pun on "May the force be with you"
- Republic of China - Literary Day (???, commemorating May Fourth Movement).
- International Firefighters' Day.
- Saint Ladislaus of Gielnow
- People's Republic of China - Youth Day (???, commemorating May Fourth Movement).
- Blessed Catherine of Park
- Saint Judas Cyriacus
- Saint Florian
- Saint Godehard
- Saint Monica of Hippo (d. 387)
- Saint Ethelred
- Saint Silvianus
- Saint Titianus
- Saint Willerik
- Saint John Houghton, Saint Robert Lawrence, Saint Augustine Webster, Saint Richard Reynolds, and Saint John Hale; all put to death in 1535.
- Saint Malou
- The Netherlands - Remembrance of the Dead.
- William J: Bennett; US Secretary of Education (1985-88).
- Tyrone Davis: American R&B singer ("Are you serious").
- Carlos Monsivais: Mexican writer.
- Carlos Monsiváis: Mexican journalist author and critic (d. 2010).
- Gillian Tindall: English historian and author.
- Carl von Ossietzky: German pacifist, recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize (Born 1889).
- Douglas Hyde (a Protestant) becomes first president of Eire.