Wednesday 5 May 1954
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Dave Spector and Peter Erskine.
In UK Secret Love by Doris Day was in the top 5 hits.
Three Coins in the Fountain, directed by Jean Negulesco, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1954
while Not As A Stranger by Morton Thompson was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Vampira Show.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 5 May 1954 ?
- Martyrs Neophytos, Gaius and Gaianus
- Euthymios the Wonderworker
- Barlaam of Serpukhov
- Martin and Heraclius of Illyria
- Eulogios the Confessor
- New Martyr Ephraim of Nea Makri
- Albania: Martyrs' Day.
- Great Martyr Irene
- Roly Poly of Georgia.
- Saint Aventinus (d. 1189)
- Ethiopia: Liberation Day (1941).
- International Midwives Day.
- Adrian of Monzensk
- South Korea: Children's Day.
- Guyana: Indian Immigration Day (1838).
- Council of Europe: Europe Day.
- International No Pants Day.
- Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea and Taiwan (2006): Buddha's Birthday.
- Japan: Tango no Sekku (Boy's Day) or Kodomo no hi (Children's Day).
- Mexico and (informally) the United States: Cinco de Mayo (1862).
- Dave Spector: American television personality and commentator.
- Peter Erskine: jazz drummer (Weather Report).
- Angelo Kimball in Boston: Massachusetts, USA; rock guitarist (Face To Face).
- John Greg Adams in Scottsdale: Arizona, USA; PGA golfer (1982 Hall of Fame-second).
- Rosey Reed: American equestrian demonstrator at the 1984 Olympics, Los Angeles.
- Brian Souter: Scottish entrepreneur, the Director of Stagecoach Bus Company. With his sister, director Ann Souter Gloag, he exploited the opportunities that arose when Margaret Thatcher deregulated local transport during the 1980s, turning the company into a global transport empire within 20 years.
- Military coup by General Alfredo Stroessner in Paraguay.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 5 May 1954
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1954 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- The Happy Wanderer - Frank Weir & His Orchestra
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?