Tuesday 8 August 1961
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Paul Jackson and Guy Birenbaum.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Tossin' And Turnin' by Bobby Lewis.
In UK You Don't Know by Helen Shapiro was in the top 5 hits.
Pit and the Pendulum, directed by Roger Corman, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while The Agony And The Ecstasy by Irving Stone was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 August 1961!
Which were the important events of 8 August 1961 ?
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least ? saints: St. Dominic de Guzman, priest, (1170-1221).
- Sweden - Namesday of Queen Silvia, an Official Flag Day.
- Taiwan: Father's Day. (In Mandarin, Ba Ba means father and 8-8, or August 8).
- St. Hormisdas
- St. Smaragdus (and companions)
- St. Largus
- St. Cyriacus
- Paul Jackson: Rocker.
- Guy Birenbaum: French political scientist, editor, journalist, teacher and researcher.
- The Edge: Irish guitarist (U2).
- Daniel House: American bass player and producer (10 Minute Warning and Skin Yard).
- Ron Klain: American lawyer and politician Chief of Staff to the Vice President of the United States.
- Bruce Matthews: NFL guard / center (Houston Oilers)
- Rikki Rockett: American drummer (Poison and Devil City Angels)
- Annemieke Verdoorn: Dutch singer and actress
- Simon Weston: Welsh soldier
- Ham Tigercats (CFL) beat the Buffalo Bills (NFL) 38-21 in Hamilton, Ontario
- Verne Gagne beats Gene Kiniski in Minneapolis, to become NWA champ
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 8 August 1961
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Bobby Lewis - Tossin' And Turnin'
- Chris Kenner - I Like It Like That, Part 1
- Mar-Keys - Last Night
- Brenda Lee - Dum Dum
- Del Shannon - Hats Off To Larry
- Connie Francis - Together
- Curtis Lee - Pretty Little Angel Eyes
- Chubby Checker - Let's Twist Again
- Joe Dowell - Wooden Heart
- The Highwaymen - Michael
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?