Tuesday 29 August 1961
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Rebecca De Mornay and Tony Macalpine.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Wooden Heart by Joe Dowell.
In UK You Don't Know by Helen Shapiro was in the top 5 hits.
Yojimbo, directed by Akira Kurosawa, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while The Agony And The Ecstasy by Irving Stone was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 29 August 1961!
Which were the important events of 29 August 1961 ?
- The first day of Thoth - which is the first day of the Egyptian calendar. Thoth is the Ibis-headed god of knowledge.
- Slovakia - Slovak National Uprising Day (1944, against the Nazis)
- Eastern Orthodox Christianity and Roman Catholic Church commemorate the beheading of John the Baptist with a feast day
- 1997 - Judgment Day, from the movie Terminator 2: Judgment Day
- Official Yakiniku Day in Japan as proclaimed by the All Japan Yakiniku Association.
- Rebecca De Mornay: Santa Rose, California -- Actress (Hand that Rocks Cradle).
- Tony Macalpine: heavy metal rocker (Solo - "Edge of Insanity").
- Enzo Enzo: French pop and jazzy singer of Russian descent.
- Roland Menzies: American homicide who entered a Davie, Florida yard along with a companion on 2/17/1975, 6:31 PM EST, where two little kids were playing.
- Carsten Fischer: German field hockey player.
- Rodney McCray: American basketball player
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 29 August 1961
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Joe Dowell - Wooden Heart
- Bobby Lewis - Tossin' And Turnin'
- The Highwaymen - Michael
- Mar-Keys - Last Night
- Ral Donner - You Don't Know What You've Got (Until You Lose It)
- Chris Kenner - I Like It Like That, Part 1
- Gary (U.S.) Bonds - School Is Out
- Curtis Lee - Pretty Little Angel Eyes
- Linda Scott - Don't Bet Money Honey
- Timi Yuro - Hurt
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?