Tuesday 9 January 1962
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
In that special week of January people in US were listening to The Twist by Chubby Checker.
In UK The Young Ones by Cliff Richard was in the top 5 hits.
The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone, directed by Jos Quintero, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1962
while Before I Sleep by James Monahan was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Hollywood Special.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Spacewar! or Spacewar!.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 9 January 1962 ?
- Balloon Ascension Day
- Philippines - Feast of the Black Nazarene in Quiapo district, Manila.
- 1788 - Ratification Day in Connecticut.
- 1822 - "I Will Stay" Day, when the Portuguese prince Pedro decided to stay in Brazil against the orders of the Portugal king Jopo VI, starting the Brazilian independence process.
- 1964 - Memorial day of Patriotic Panamanians for the Panama Canal (Martyrs' Day/Dia de los Martires).
- Eastern Orthodox - Feast of Saint Theophan the Recluse.
- Roman Catholic - Feast of Saint Adrian
- Stepfather's Day
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 09 January
- LeRoy B Shield: US pianist/composer (Union Pacific Suite), dies at age 68.
- NFL prohibits grabbing of face masks.
- US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
- Mister M (Dr X) beats Verne Gagne in Minnesota, to become NWA champ.
- Cuba and the Soviet Union sign a trade pact.
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1962 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Chubby Checker - The Twist
- The Tokens - The Lion Sleeps Tonight
- Joey Dee & the Starliters - Peppermint Twist - Part 1
- Elvis Presley - Can't Help Falling In Love
- Barbara George - I Know (You Don't Love Me No More)
- Neil Sedaka - Happy Birthday, Sweet Sixteen
- Leroy Van Dyke - Walk On By
- Bobby Vee - Run To Him
- Ray Charles - Unchain My Heart
- Connie Francis - When The Boy In Your Arms (Is The Boy In Your Heart)
Top #10 songs in the UK
- Elvis Presley - Return To Sender
- Cliff Richard - The Young Ones
- Frank Ifield - Lovesick Blues
- Mr Acker Bilk - Stranger On The Shore
- Cliff Richard - The Next Time / Bachelor Boy
- Danny Williams - Moon River
- Sandy Nelson - Let There Be Drums
- Neil Sedaka - Happy Birthday Sweet Sixteen
- Duane Eddy - Dance With The Guitar Man
- Rolf Harris - Sun Arise
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?