Decca Records rejected one of the greatest bands of all time, The Beatles after an audition. Elvis Presley had the biggest song in 1962 titled Return to Sender, with chart domination in the USA, Germany, Canada, Norway and many other countries.
Lawrence of Arabia starring Peter O’Toole and Omar Sharif was the top-grossing film of the year. Christopher Fry was the recipient of the Queen’s Gold Medal for Poetry.
Adolf Eichmann, a Nazi SS officer, died in Israel for the crimes he undertook against humanity and the in particular Jews during WW II. Eichmann became the coordinator the Holocaust activities including identification, grouping, and the transportation of millions of Jews into the infamous Nazi death camps. In the extermination camps, the Nazi SS officers gassed and worked the Jews to death. Following a televised trial that gave a death sentence and all of his many appeals failed. A few minutes into 1 June 1962, Eichmann hung dead at a prison in Ramla.
Pope John XXIII convened the ecumenical council, the first in over 90 years. The ecumenical council is a general meeting of the bishops in the church, took place on October 11, 1962. The aim of the council was to bring about the spiritual rebirth of Catholicism. The pope also hoped to cultivate a greater sense of unity between Catholics and other branches of Christianity.
James Bond is one of the longest –running film franchises in the world. Dr. No was the first movie of the James Bond series on October 5, 1962. Created by Ian Fleming, Sean Connery became the first actor to be James Bond a super-spy codename: 007. Idolized in bestselling novels and top grossing films, James Bond is a favorite of many.
In 1962 saw the second Lancaster House Commence, where the negotiations for a framework for Kenya's self-governance took place. One of the greatest comedians of the 20th Century from Canada, Jim Carrey was born in January, while the legendary Wesley Snipes of The Blade was born in July.
All Academy Awards Prize winners of the 35th edition of the Oscar ceremony
Lawrence of Arabia
Best supporting actress
Time Person of the Year
Who was the person of the year of 1962?
Which were the most popular books released in 1962 ?
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free
All Nobel Prize winners of 1962
- Linus Pauling
- John Steinbeck
- Lev Landau
- Max Perutz
- John Kendrew
Physiology or Medicine
- Francis Crick
- James D. Watson
- Maurice Wilkins
Which were the top hits of 1962?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Mr. Acker Bilk - Stranger On The Shore
- Ray Charles - I Can't Stop Loving You
- Bobby Vinton - Roses Are Red (My Love)
- Chubby Checker - The Twist
- Joey Dee & the Starliters - Peppermint Twist - Part 1
- Shelley Fabares - Johnny Angel
- Elvis Presley - Return To Sender
- The 4 Seasons - Big Girls Don't Cry
- Dee Dee Sharp - Mashed Potato Time
- David Rose and His Orchestra - The Stripper
Top #1 songs in the UK
- Frank Ifield - I Remember You
- The Shadows - Wonderful Land
- Elvis Presley - Good Luck Charm
- Cliff Richard - The Young Ones
- Ray Charles - I Can't Stop Loving You
- Del Shannon - Hey Little Girl
- Helen Shapiro - Tell Me What He Said
- Mike Sarne With Wendy Richard - Come Outside
- Joe Brown - A Picture Of You
- The Tornados - Telstar
Which were the most popular Movies released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Demographic statistics of the year 1962
- Total population: 3.2 billion (3,150,420,795 to be precise!)
- Urban population: 1.1 billion, that is 35.0% of the total population of 1962 lives in cities
- Yearly change: +58.4 million, corresponding to a percentage increase of +1.89%
- Average density: 21.0 persons per km2
Which were the important events of 1962?
- 01 Jan 1962 Western Samoa achieves independence from New Zealand; its name is changed to the Independent State of Western Samoa.
- 02 Jan 1962 Nighttime version of Password with Allen Ludden premieres on CBS
- 03 Jan 1962 Ground is broken for the Houston Astrodome
- 04 Jan 1962 1st automated (unmanned) subway train (NYC)
- 05 Jan 1962 Tony Sheridan and beatles produce My Bonnie andThe Saints
- 07 Jan 1962 Assassination attempt on Indonesian president Sukarno fails.
- 08 Jan 1962 Golfer Jack Nicklaus, 21, first pro appearance, comes in 50th.
- 09 Jan 1962 NFL prohibits grabbing of face masks.
- 10 Jan 1962 Eruptions on Mount Huascaran in Peru destroy seven villages and kill 3,500.
- 11 Jan 1962 Volcano Huascaran in Peru, erupts; 4,000 die
- 12 Jan 1962 The Indonesian Army confirms that it has begun operations in West Irian.
- 13 Jan 1962 Do Re Mi closes at St. James Theater NYC after 400 performances
- 14 Jan 1962 NFL Pro Bowl: West beats East 31-30.
- 15 Jan 1962 50th Australian Mens Tennis: Rod Laver beats R Emerson (8-6, 0-6, 6-4, 6-4).
- 16 Jan 1962 Shooting begins on Dr No
- 17 Jan 1962 A NASA civilian pilot Neil A Armstrong takes X-15 to 40,690 m
- 18 Jan 1962 Southern University closed due to demonstrations
- 19 Jan 1962 A counter-coup occurs in the Dominican Republic the old government returns except for the new president Rafael Filiberto Bonnelly.
- 20 Jan 1962 Kean closes at Broadway Theater NYC after 92 performances
- 21 Jan 1962 JFK arrives in Uruguay
- 22 Jan 1962 The East German government readopts conscription.
- 23 Jan 1962 Libya, Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia plan to form United Arab Maghreb.
- 24 Jan 1962 Brian Epstein signs management contract with the Beatles
- 26 Jan 1962 Twist is impure and bans it from all Catholic schools
- 27 Jan 1962 Family Affair opens at Billy Rose Theater NYC for 65 performances
- 28 Jan 1962 Johanne Relleke gets stung by bees 2,443 times in Rhodesia and survives.
- 30 Jan 1962 US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
- 31 Jan 1962 Gen Charles P Cabell, USAF, ends term as Deputy Director of CIA
- 01 Feb 1962 NL releases its 1st 162-game schedule
- 03 Feb 1962 US President John Kennedy bans all trade with Cuba except for food and drugs.
- 04 Feb 1962 Gay Life closes at Shubert Theater NYC after 113 performances
- 05 Feb 1962 Law suit to bar Englewood, New Jersey, from "racial segregated" schools is filed.
- 06 Feb 1962 Schoolman Athletic Field in the Bronx named
- 07 Feb 1962 Sam Snead wins LPGA Royal Poinciano Plaza Golf Invitational
- 08 Feb 1962 KACB TV channel 3 in San Angelo, TX (NBC) begins broadcasting
- 09 Feb 1962 US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
- 10 Feb 1962 USSR swaps spy Francis Gary Power to US for Rudolph Abel.
- 11 Feb 1962 Beatles record Please, Please Me
- 12 Feb 1962 Bus boycott starts in Macon, Georgia, USA.
- 14 Feb 1962 First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy takes television viewers on a tour of the White House.
- 15 Feb 1962 US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
- 16 Feb 1962 US Open Tennis: Jimmy Bostwick defeats brother Pete to win.
- 17 Feb 1962 Storm in Hamburg, Germany, kills 265.
- 18 Feb 1962 Louise Suggs wins LPGA Saint Petersburg Golf Open.
- 19 Feb 1962 US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
- 20 Feb 1962 John Glenn is 1st American to orbit Earth (Friendship 7)
- 21 Feb 1962 Minister De Pous confirms natural gas reserves in Groningen, Netherlands.
- 22 Feb 1962 Wilt Chamberlain sets NBA record with 34 free throw attempts.
- 23 Feb 1962 US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
- 24 Feb 1962 Sail Away closes at Broadhurst Theater NYC after 167 performances
- 25 Feb 1962 Robert Kennedy visits Netherlands
- 26 Feb 1962 US Supreme court disallows race separation on public transportation.
- 27 Feb 1962 South-Vietnam President Ngo Dinh Diem's palace bombed, first US killed of war.
- 28 Feb 1962 WMGM-AM in New York City changes call letters to WHN
- 01 Mar 1962 K-Mart opens
- 02 Mar 1962 Wilt Chamberlain sets the single-game scoring record in the National Basketball Association by scoring 100 points.
- 03 Mar 1962 British Antarctic Territory is formed.
- 04 Mar 1962 The United States Atomic Energy Commission announces that the first atomic power plant at McMurdo Station in Antarctica is in operation.
- 05 Mar 1962 US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
- 06 Mar 1962 US promises Thailand assistance against communist aggression.
- 07 Mar 1962 Launch of OSO 1, first astronomy satellite (solar flare data).
- 08 Mar 1962 US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
- 09 Mar 1962 Egyptian President Gamal Abdel Nasser declares Gaza belongs to Palestinians.
- 12 Mar 1962 Dutch Premier De Quay announces secret talks with Indonesia.
- 13 Mar 1962 Yugoslavia grants 1,000 prisoners amnesty.
- 14 Mar 1962 Disarmament conference opens in Geneva, Switzerland, without France.
- 15 Mar 1962 No Strings opens at 84th St. Theater NYC for 580 performances
- 16 Mar 1962 US Super-Constellation disappears above Pacific Ocean, kills 167.
- 18 Mar 1962 Dmitri Shostakovitch becomes member of Supreme Soviet of the USSR
- 19 Mar 1962 All American opens at Winter Garden Theater NYC for 80 performances
- 20 Mar 1962 Sjoukje Dijkstra becomes world champion figure skater.
- 21 Mar 1962 Bekkers of Bosch makes TV speech in the Netherlands for birth control
- 22 Mar 1962 I Can Get It For You Wholesale opens at Shubert NYC for 300 performances
- 23 Mar 1962 JFK visits San Francisco
- 24 Mar 1962 Mick Jagger and Keith Richards perform as Little Boy Blue and Blue Boys
- 25 Mar 1962 Family Affair closes at Billy Rose Theater NYC after 65 performances
- 26 Mar 1962 US Supreme Court backs 1-man-1-vote apportionment of seats in state legislature.
- 27 Mar 1962 Jacques Plante ties record winning 6th NHL Vezina trophy.
- 28 Mar 1962 Military coup in Syria, President Nazim al-Kudsi flees.
- 29 Mar 1962 Argentine President Frondizi flees from the army.
- 02 Apr 1962 The first official Panda crossing is opened outside Waterloo station, London.
- 03 Apr 1962 Jockey Eddie Arcaro retires after 31 years (24,092 races).
- 05 Apr 1962 NASA civilian pilot Neil A Armstrong takes X-15 to 54,600 m
- 06 Apr 1962 Leonard Bernstein causes controversy with his remarks from the podium during a New York Philharmonic concert featuring Glenn Gould performing Brahms' First Piano Concerto.
- 07 Apr 1962 Yugoslav ex-president Milovan Djilas returns to jail.
- 08 Apr 1962 Accords of Evian (Algeria) accepted by referendum in France.
- 09 Apr 1962 34th Academy Awards - West Side Story, Sophia Loren and Max Schell win.
- 10 Apr 1962 New York Yankees' Mickey Mantle hits his 375th homerun.
- 11 Apr 1962 New York Mets make a losing debut.
- 12 Apr 1962 San Mateo County withdraws from BART district (SF Bay area)
- 13 Apr 1962 US steel industry forced to give up price increases.
- 14 Apr 1962 Demonstration for sovereign status of New-Guinea in Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- 15 Apr 1962 US national debt above US$300,000,000,000.
- 16 Apr 1962 Walter Cronkite takes over as the lead news anchor of the CBS Evening News, during which time he would become ''the most trusted man in America''.
- 18 Apr 1962 16th NBA Championship: Boston Celtics beat Los Angeles Lakers, 4 games to 3.
- 19 Apr 1962 NASA civilian pilot Joseph A Walker takes X-15 to 46,900m
- 20 Apr 1962 NASA civilian pilot Neil A Armstrong takes X-15 to 63,250 m
- 21 Apr 1962 The Seattle World's Fair (Century 21 Exposition) opens. It is the first World's Fair in the United States since World War II.
- 22 Apr 1962 Marilynn Smith wins LPGA Sunshine Golf Open.
- 23 Apr 1962 1st US satellite to reach the moon launched
- 24 Apr 1962 MIT sends TV signal by satellite for first time: California to Massachusetts.
- 25 Apr 1962 June 15 the Mets send Chiti back to Cleveland
- 26 Apr 1962 Ariel 1 Launch (1st UK Satellite)
- 27 Apr 1962 US performs atmospheric nuclear test at Christmas Island.
- 29 Apr 1962 16th Tony Awards: Man For All Seasons and How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying win.
- 30 Apr 1962 Willie Mays hits 4 HRs
- 01 May 1962 JFK authorizes Area Redevelopment Act (ARA)
- 02 May 1962 OAS strikes in Algeria
- 03 May 1962 Express train crashes into wreckage of a commuter train and a freight, killing 163, injuring 400 (Tokyo, Japan).
- 04 May 1962 US performs atmospheric nuclear test at Christmas Island.
- 05 May 1962 West Side Story soundtrack album goes to #1 and stays #1 for 54 weeks which is more than 20 weeks longer than any other album
- 06 May 1962 Pathet Lao breaks cease fire / conquerors Nam Tha Laos
- 07 May 1962 Pulitzer prize awarded to Theodore H White (Making of President 1960)
- 08 May 1962 Funny Thing Happened opens at Alvin Theater NYC for 965 performances
- 09 May 1962 Beatles sign their 1st contract with EMI Pstlophone
- 11 May 1962 US performs atmospheric nuclear test at Christmas Island.
- 12 May 1962 Grevelingendam closes
- 13 May 1962 Mickey Wright wins LPGA Western Golf Open.
- 14 May 1962 Ex-pres Milovan Djilas sentenced to 5 years
- 15 May 1962 US marines arrive in Laos.
- 17 May 1962 Marin County withdraws from BART district
- 19 May 1962 Bravo, Giovanni opens at Broadhurst Theater NYC for 76 performances
- 20 May 1962 Patty Berg wins LPGA Muskogee Civitan Golf Open.
- 21 May 1962 3 more Cleveland HR set AL record for most HR (26) over 8 games
- 22 May 1962 14th Emmy Awards: Bob Newhart Show, E G Marshall and Shirley Booth
- 23 May 1962 Scott Carpenter orbits Earth 3 times in US Aurora 7
- 24 May 1962 M Scott Carpenter aboard Aurora 7 launched into earth orbit.
- 25 May 1962 Isley Brothers release Twist & Shout
- 26 May 1962 All American closes at Winter Garden Theater NYC after 80 performances
- 27 May 1962 Ruth Jessen wins LPGA Dallas Civitan Golf Open.
- 28 May 1962 Wide World of Sports with Chris Schenkel premieres on CBS radio
- 29 May 1962 Barbra Streisand appears on Garry Moore Show
- 30 May 1962 69 killed in bus crash (Ahmedabad, India).
- 31 May 1962 Tell It To Groucho last airs on CBS-TV
- 01 Jun 1962 Oscar 2 (ham radio satellite) launched into Earth orbit.
- 02 Jun 1962 32nd French Mens Tennis: Rod Laver beats Roy Emerson (36 26 63 97 62)
- 03 Jun 1962 Betsy Rawls and Kathy wins LPGA Babe Didrikson-Zaharias Golf Open
- 04 Jun 1962 Lee Harvey Oswald departs Rotterdam on SS Maasdam to US
- 06 Jun 1962 Beatles meet their producer George Martin for 1st time, they record Besame Mucho with Peter Best on drums
- 07 Jun 1962 NASA civilian test pilot Joseph A Walker takes X-15 to 31,580 m
- 08 Jun 1962 Jim Beatty runs world record 2 mile (8:29.8)
- 09 Jun 1962 Bill of Hare, premieres in USA
- 10 Jun 1962 Sandra Haynie wins LPGA Austin Civitan Golf Tournament
- 11 Jun 1962 President FDR accepted an honorary degree from Yale
- 12 Jun 1962 3 convicts used spoons to dig their way out of Alcatraz
- 13 Jun 1962 Bob Newhart Show, last airs on NBC-TV
- 14 Jun 1962 The European Space Research Organisation is established in Paris : later becoming the European Space Agency.
- 15 Jun 1962 WWUP TV channel 10 in Sault Ste Marie, MI (CBS) begins broadcasting
- 16 Jun 1962 2 US army officers killed in Saigon
- 17 Jun 1962 62nd US Golf Open: Jack Nicklaus shoots a 283 at Oakmont Country Club - Pennsylvania
- 21 Jun 1962 USAF Maj Robert M White takes X-15 to 75,190 m
- 22 Jun 1962 1st test flight of Hoovercraft
- 23 Jun 1962 Subways Are after Sleeping closes at St. James NYC after 205 performances
- 24 Jun 1962 Betsy Rawls wins LPGA J E McAuliffe Golf Tournament
- 25 Jun 1962 Mozambique Liberation Front (FRELIMO) forms
- 26 Jun 1962 Blacks begin passive resistance in Cairo, Illinois
- 27 Jun 1962 NASA civilian pilot Joseph Walker takes X-15 to 6,606 km/h, 37,700 m
- 28 Jun 1962 Thalidomide drug banned in the Netherlands
- 29 Jun 1962 Frank Howard, hits the 5,000th Dodger home run
- 30 Jun 1962 French Foreign Legion leaves Algeria
- 01 Jul 1962 Algeria votes for independence
- 02 Jul 1962 Fidel Castro visits Moscow
- 03 Jul 1962 Algerian Revolution against French ends (Algeria gains independence on July 5).
- 04 Jul 1962 Island Records begins
- 05 Jul 1962 96 murder at massacre in Oran, Algeria
- 06 Jul 1962 76th Wimbledon Mens Tennis: Rod Laver beats Martin Mulligan (62 62 61)
- 07 Jul 1962 69th Wimbledon Womens Tennis: Karen Susman beats Vera Sukova (64 64)
- 08 Jul 1962 Kathy Whitworth wins LPGA Kelly Girls Golf Open
- 09 Jul 1962 The Starfish Prime high-altitude nuclear test is conducted by the United States of America.
- 10 Jul 1962 32nd All Star Baseball Game: NL wins 3-1 at D.C. Stadium, Washington
- 11 Jul 1962 1st transatlantic TV transmission via satellite (Telstar I)
- 12 Jul 1962 The Rolling Stones perform their first ever concert, at the Marquee Club in London.
- 13 Jul 1962 500 Indonesian parachutist land on New-Guinea
- 14 Jul 1962 Borehole for Mont Blanc-tunnel finished
- 15 Jul 1962 Algeria becomes member of Arab League
- 17 Jul 1962 East Berliner Peter Fechter flees over Berlin Wall
- 18 Jul 1962 Minn is 1st AL team to hit 2 grand slams in an inning as Bob Allison
- 19 Jul 1962 The First Annual Swiss amp Wielder Hoop and Stick Tournament is held.
- 20 Jul 1962 Dmitri Shostakovitch completes his 13th Symphony
- 21 Jul 1962 Battles on Chinese and Indies boundary
- 22 Jul 1962 1st US Venus probe, Mariner 1, fails at lift-off
- 23 Jul 1962 Telstar relays the first publicly transmitted, live trans-Atlantic television program, featuring Walter Cronkite.
- 25 Jul 1962 House passes bill requiring equal pay for equal work regardless of sex
- 26 Jul 1962 Maria Oeljanov, 1st airship with nuclear missiles, arrives in Cuba
- 27 Jul 1962 Mariner 2 launched to Venus; flyby mission
- 28 Jul 1962 Mariner I launched to Mars falls into Atlantic Ocean
- 30 Jul 1962 33rd All Star Baseball Game: AL wins 9-4 at Wrigley Field, Chicago
- 31 Jul 1962 Federation of Malaysia forms.
- 01 Aug 1962 Failed assassination on President Nkrumah of Ghana
- 03 Aug 1962 29th NFL Chicago All-Star Game: Green Bay 42, All-Stars 20 (65,000)
- 04 Aug 1962 Nelson Mandela captured by South African police
- 05 Aug 1962 1st quasar located by radio
- 06 Aug 1962 Jamaica becomes independent after 300 years of British rule
- 10 Aug 1962 Marvel Comics publishes Amazing Fantasy#15, which features the first published appearance of the superhero character of Spider-Man, created by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko.
- 11 Aug 1962 Andrian G Nikolayev, becomes 3rd Russian in space aboard Vostok 3
- 12 Aug 1962 1st time 2 people in space
- 13 Aug 1962 Bert Campaneris of Daytona Beach (FSL) pitches ambidextrously
- 14 Aug 1962 NASA civilian test pilot Joseph A Walker takes X-15 to 60,000 m
- 15 Aug 1962 Netherlands and Indonesia signs accord about New Guinea
- 16 Aug 1962 Ringo Starr replaces Pete Best as Beatle drummer
- 17 Aug 1962 E German border guards shot and kill Peter Fechter, 18, attempting to cross Berlin Wall into western sector
- 18 Aug 1962 Peter, Paul and Mary release their first hit "If I Had a Hammer".
- 19 Aug 1962 Mickey Wright wins LPGA Albuquerque Swing Parade Golf Tournament
- 21 Aug 1962 Verne Gagne beats Mister M (doctor X) in Minn, to become NWA champ
- 22 Aug 1962 The NS Savannah, the world's first nuclear-powered cargo ship, completes its maiden voyage.
- 23 Aug 1962 1st Europe-US live TV program (via Telstar)
- 24 Aug 1962 Dodger coach Leo Durocher suffers a near-fatal allergic reaction to a penicillin injection while in the clubhouse at the Polo Grounds
- 26 Aug 1962 Mickey Wright wins LPGA Salt Lake City Golf Open
- 27 Aug 1962 Mariner 2 launched; first probe to fly by Venus.
- 28 Aug 1962 55.9 cm rainfall at Hackberry, Louisiana (state record)
- 29 Aug 1962 Some provisions of Kuwaiti constitution are suspended
- 30 Aug 1962 Japan conducts a test of the NAMC YS-11, its first aircraft since World War II and its only successful commercial aircraft from before or after the war.
- 31 Aug 1962 Trinidad and Tobago gain independence from Britain (National Day)
- 01 Sep 1962 KATC TV channel 3 in Lafayette, LA (ABC) begins broadcasting
- 02 Sep 1962 The Soviet Union agrees to send arms to Cuba.
- 03 Sep 1962 Mickey Wright wins LPGA Spokane Golf Open
- 04 Sep 1962 Beatles record How Do You Do It at EMI
- 05 Sep 1962 Atletico Madrid wins 2nd Europe Cup II
- 08 Sep 1962 Chinese troops exceed Mac-Mahon-line (Tibet-India boundary)
- 09 Sep 1962 76th US Womens Tennis: Margaret Smith Court beats Darlene Hard (97 64)
- 10 Sep 1962 KLRN TV channel 9 in San Antonio, TX (PBS) begins broadcasting
- 11 Sep 1962 Beatles cut Love Me Do andPS I Love You with Andy White on drums
- 15 Sep 1962 Bravo, Giovanni closes at Broadhurst Theater NYC after 76 performances
- 16 Sep 1962 Brian Kilby wins marathon: (2:23:18.8)
- 17 Sep 1962 Justice Department files 1st suit to end segregation in public schools
- 18 Sep 1962 Bob Aspromonte sets NL 3rd baseman record of 57 cons errorless games
- 19 Sep 1962 Atlantic College opens it doors for the first time, marking the birth of the pioneering UWC educational movement.
- 20 Sep 1962 Ben Bella wins 1st elections in independent Algeria
- 22 Sep 1962 Bob Dylan plays NYC Carnegie Hall
- 23 Sep 1962 Mary Lena Faulk wins LPGA Visalia Golf Open
- 24 Sep 1962 KWSU TV channel 10 in Pullman, WA (PBS) begins broadcasting
- 25 Sep 1962 Yankees clinch AL pennant
- 26 Sep 1962 LA Dodger Maury Wills becomes 1st to steal 100 bases (en route to 104)
- 27 Sep 1962 Military uprising under Col Abdullah as-Sallal North Yemen
- 28 Sep 1962 Brighter Day, last airs on CBS-TV daytime
- 29 Sep 1962 Alley Cat by Bent Fabric and His Piano peaks at #7
- 30 Sep 1962 JFK routes 3,000 federal troops to Mississippi
- 01 Oct 1962 Barbra Streisand signs her 1st recording contract (with Columbia)
- 02 Oct 1962 San Francisco and Los Angeles play a 4-hour, 18-minute nine-inning game.
- 03 Oct 1962 Stop the World, I Want to Get Off opens at Shubert NYC for 886 performances
- 04 Oct 1962 USAF Maj Robert A Rushworth takes X-15 to 32,300m
- 05 Oct 1962 Beatles release their first single record "Love Me Do".
- 06 Oct 1962 16th NHL All-Star Game: Toronto beat All4-Stars -1 at Toronto
- 07 Oct 1962 8th LPGA Championship won by Judy Kimball
- 08 Oct 1962 Algeria admitted as 109th member of the United Nations.
- 09 Oct 1962 Battles to decide Algeria-Morocco boundary kills 130
- 10 Oct 1962 Indies assault up Chinese positions in North-India attack
- 11 Oct 1962 1st appearance of a Gabor sister on Merv Griffin Show
- 12 Oct 1962 US / USSR sign joint space effort in telecommunications and meteorology
- 13 Oct 1962 At the Riverside International Raceway in California, the Los Angeles Times Three-Hour Invitational Grand Prix race is held. 1963 model production Corvettes make their racing debut, as does the Ford-powered Cobra. Finishing 1st overall is the Mickey Thompson #119 black Corvette Z06, driven by Doug Hooper. He averages 84-mph over the 250-mile course. The 260-ci Cobra leads by about one mile after one hour of racing when its rear suspension fails.
- 14 Oct 1962 Kathy Whitworth wins LPGA Thunderbird Tourney Golf Tournament
- 15 Oct 1962 WLOX TV channel 13 in Biloxi-Gulfport, MS (ABC) begins broadcasting
- 16 Oct 1962 Byron R White becomes a Supreme Court Justice
- 17 Oct 1962 Yanks beat Giants for 20th world championship
- 18 Oct 1962 JFK meets Russian Minister of Foreign Affairs Andrei Gromyko
- 19 Oct 1962 Stalin-monument removed in Prague
- 20 Oct 1962 Mr President opens at St. James Theater NYC for 265 performances
- 21 Oct 1962 Mickey Wright wins LPGA Carlsbad Cavern Golf Open
- 22 Oct 1962 JFK addresses TV about Russian missile bases in Cuba
- 23 Oct 1962 Adlai Stevenson speaks at UN about Cuba crisis
- 24 Oct 1962 In Cuban missile crisis, the US blockade of Cuba begins
- 25 Oct 1962 1st Belgian nuclear reactor begins operation
- 26 Oct 1962 Beatles tape Please Please Me andAsk Me Why
- 27 Oct 1962 Beyond the Fringe opens at John Golden Theater NYC for 673 performances
- 28 Oct 1962 Khrushchev orders withdrawal of missiles from Cuba, ending crisis
- 31 Oct 1962 The UN General Assembly asks the United Kingdom to suspend enforcement of the new constitution in Southern Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe), but the constitution comes into effect on November 1.
- 01 Nov 1962 Cuban missile crisis ends, JFK says USSR is dismantling missile bases
- 02 Nov 1962 JFK announces Cuban missile bases were being dismantled
- 03 Nov 1962 Wilt Chamberlain of NBA San Francisco Warriors scores 72 points vs Los Angeles Lakers.
- 04 Nov 1962 Murle Lindstrom wins LPGA San Antonio Civitan Golf Tournament
- 06 Nov 1962 BART bond issue just gets by with a 66.9% favorable vote
- 07 Nov 1962 Richard Nixon quits US politics - "You won't have Nixon to kick around".
- 08 Nov 1962 Canada government orders changing nickel back to round shape
- 09 Nov 1962 Dutch Catharina Lodders elected Miss World
- 10 Nov 1962 Nowhere to Go, But Up opens at Winter Garden Theater NYC for 9 performances
- 11 Nov 1962 Kuwait's National Assembly ratifies the Constitution of Kuwait.
- 15 Nov 1962 Don Drysdale wins Cy Young Award
- 16 Nov 1962 Kuwait adopts constitution (1st, Islamitic)
- 17 Nov 1962 Little Me opens at Lunt-Fontanne Theater NYC for 257 performances
- 19 Nov 1962 Fidel Castro accepts removal of Soviet weapons
- 20 Nov 1962 Mickey Mantle wins AL MVP
- 21 Nov 1962 The Chinese People's Liberation Army declares a unilateral cease-fire in the Sino-Indian War.
- 23 Nov 1962 United Airlines Flight 297 crashes in Columbia, Maryland, killing all 17 on board.
- 24 Nov 1962 Last of Dutch militia leave New-Guinea
- 25 Nov 1962 WBJA (now WMGC) TV channel 34 in Binghamton, New York (ABC) 1st broadcast
- 26 Nov 1962 1st recording session under name Beatles
- 27 Nov 1962 1st test flight of the Boeing 727 takes place
- 28 Nov 1962 Telegraph between Netherlands and Indonesia restored
- 29 Nov 1962 Great-Britain and France decide to jointly build Concorde
- 30 Nov 1962 U Thant of Burma unanimously elected third Secretary-General of United Nations.
- 01 Dec 1962 Grey Cup halted by fog, resumed next day (Winnipeg 28, Hamilton 27)
- 02 Dec 1962 50th CFL Grey Cup: Winnipeg beats Hamilton, 28-27 at Toronto [OT]
- 03 Dec 1962 Edith Spurlock Sampson sworn-in as 1st US black female judge
- 04 Dec 1962 US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
- 06 Dec 1962 US abandons Skybolt ballistic missile program.
- 07 Dec 1962 Great Britain performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
- 08 Dec 1962 I Can Get It For You Wholesale closes at Shubert NYC after 300 performances
- 09 Dec 1962 I Can Get It For You Wholesale closes on Broadway
- 10 Dec 1962 Hunters Point (San Francisco) jitney ends service after 50 years
- 11 Dec 1962 Arthur Lucas, convicted of murder, is the last person to be executed in Canada.
- 12 Dec 1962 US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
- 13 Dec 1962 Relay 1 communication satellite launched.
- 14 Dec 1962 Mariner 2 launched; makes first US visit to another planet (Venus).
- 15 Dec 1962 Storm over North Sea. Belgian pirate radio station Radio Uylenspiegel is knocked off the airwaves, never to operate again.
- 16 Dec 1962 Nepal gets constitution / becomes Constitutional Hindu Monarchy
- 17 Dec 1962 Beatles 1st British TV appearance (People & Places)
- 18 Dec 1962 WAIQ TV channel 26 in Montgomery, AL (PBS) begins broadcasting
- 19 Dec 1962 Street signs in Golden Gate Park approved by Park Commission
- 20 Dec 1962 D Sjostakovitz opera Katerina Ismailova, premieres in Moscow
- 21 Dec 1962 Angolin leaves Comecon
- 22 Dec 1962 Kinderman Place in the Bronx named
- 23 Dec 1962 Cuba starts returning US prisoners from the Bay of Pigs invasion.
- 24 Dec 1962 Cuba releases the last 1,113 participants in the Bay of Pigs Invasion to the U.S., in exchange for food worth $53 million.
- 27 Dec 1962 28th Heisman Trophy Award: Terry Baker, Oregon State (quarterback).
- 29 Dec 1962 Doug Walters makes first-class debut for New South Wales 17 years 8 days.
- 30 Dec 1962 Green Bay Packers beat the New York Giants 16-7 in NFL championship game
- 31 Dec 1962 Match Game debuts on NBC with host Gene Rayburn